Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Aruba

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2001, 8:26 am

So what type of advice are you looking for?

My fiance and I spent 5 nights at the Aruba Ocean Club back in May - thought it was a great property.

One suggestion - go to aruba.com and look into the chat boards about restaurants. We went to some great, less well known, restaurants on the island. Definitely go to Avallone's - best italian food on the island!

Another suggestion - if you're going to be on the island for 7-8 days - you might want to rent a car. The ocean club is the furthest hotel on the beach and taxis can get expensive.
Old Aug 6, 2001, 8:28 am

Nice trade --- I heard it was almost impossible to trade into a 2 bedroom suite at the Aruba location (since most owners there split their rooms using the lockoff, so there tends to only be 1 bedrooms avaiable).

I'm sure others have had similar success. I can vouch that I had no problems in using the old 713 award for vacations in Hawaii and Australia.
Old Aug 7, 2001, 4:59 am
KTJ

I own a timeshare at the Aruba Marriott. It's a fabulous property. Try to get down to the beach early to claim a hut. The sun can be brutal and by about 10am most of the huts are taken. Just throw some towels over the chaise and a book on the table and it'll be yours for the day. If you're allergic to no-see-ums, use bug spray on your legs at the beach. We use taxi's because parking can be tight in some places and it's not usually more than $6 or 8 to go anywhere. For restaurants, try Le Petit Cafe, The French Steakhouse and El Gaucho (heavy atmosphere) if you like steak. We've tried different snorkeling cruises and had a great time on each. Rent a jeep for a day and take a ride on the dessert side of the island. It's very rough and I wore sandals...big mistake. Anything else you want to know, just ask.
Old Aug 7, 2001, 3:13 pm

Programs: CO AA
Took my Honeymoon in May at the Marriott Resort next door. The service and the beach were super. They really took care of us for being Platinum, but I don't know how it translates to the Vacation Club.
For a very good, actually cheap, meal in town I highly suggest Iguana Joes.
Another hint. Do NOT do the Jeep Safari if it is still hot and dry, and it usually is. You WILL be hot, dry and RED by the end of the day.
Old Aug 13, 2001, 3:39 pm

I also had heard that Aruba is the toughest to trade into for Marriott. However, I think the key is to be flexible. I originally asked for a one bedroom (since there are only 2 of us) but they called back and offerred the 2 BR if I would be willing to arrive a day earlier.

I took it even though I cant make it a day earlier (since I am getting married that day). So that reduced my trip to 6 days. However, I decided to add an extra day at the Hotel next door for $145.
Old Aug 13, 2001, 7:35 pm

Have a wonderful honeymoon...it's a great place according to my daughters who were there a year ago.

Hopefully you won't need the 2nd bedroom.
Old Aug 17, 2001, 8:49 am

Detjason-
You'll love the Marriott Ocean Club. We own two weeks there and look forward to going every year. Be sure and take the timeshare tour. It's very low key and they give you $75 toward numerous restaurants on the island including Tuscany a very fine Italian restaurant at the hotel. On Tuesday nights they have a carnival night buffet with a show which is fun. The LaVista at the hotel serves an excellent breakfast buffet. Be sure and eat at Madame Janettes which you're in Aruba. That's our favorite restaurant on the island. We also love El Gaucho - outstanding Argentine beef. Everyday the little beach bar between the t/s and hotel offers drink specials from 4 to 6 which are two for one for the special of the day. They have a trio playing during this time and we usually try the special of the day before heading back to our room to shower and change. Check out the iguana feeding every morning I believe it's at 11:00. Someone comes out and feeds the iguanas lettuce and it's fun to watch. All the iguanas come scurrying. I think they're ugly looking creatures but the man said they are very gentle and have little tiny teeth. The man let our grandchildren help feed them and the iguanas were eating right out of their hands. It gave me a new prospective on iguanas. Finally, be sure and visit the jacuzzis. They are hidden, up in the rocks and can be very romantic to visit late at night. Have a wonderful honeymoon but don't get sunburned. That could ruin a honeymoon real fast. Use lots of sun screen! There's always a tradewind so you don't realize how hot it really is.
Old Aug 17, 2001, 9:16 am

Just got back from the Marriott Resort next door to the Ocean Club. Did the Timeshare "tour", very low key, no pressure and 15,000 marriott rewards points posted within a couple of weeks. I Do recommend renting a jeep at the Marriott and touring the island. If you like golf there is a really nice course near the properties. For a fun and romantic dinner, go to the Flying Fishbone. Ditto on the recommendation to get to the beach early for the best thatched umbrellas.
Old Aug 18, 2001, 6:51 am

You will enjoy the property. Here are a couple of tips:
1. Although the sun can be pretty intense, you can get chilled pretty quickly when you leave the water because of the constant 15-20 mph breeze. This is not a problem, but is something to be aware of.

2. You will be located at the most distant hotel development, so I recommend that you do rent a vehicle. Weekly rates are exceptionally low. Car rental agencies do not attempt to take advantage of the tourists.

3. Have fun, it is a trip well worth taking.
Old Aug 18, 2001, 8:05 am

Thanks for the info. Several pepole have recommended renting a car, which I had not planned to do. Would it suffice to rent a jeep for a day or two, or should I get a weekly rental? How much are the jeep rentals at the hotel?
Old Aug 18, 2001, 9:56 am

I strongly recommend the weekly rental. For the price of a 3-4 day rental you can get a weekly rental. If you get a jeep-like vehicle, carry an ample supply of water. With the sun/heat/wind you can become dehydrated qiute quickly.
Upon your return let us know if the airport construction has finally been completed.
Old Aug 18, 2001, 2:48 pm

Thanks for the info. Another question. How should I get to the hotel from the airport. I have heard that I can reserve a taxi in advance and have it waiting for me at the airport, or should I rely on the hotel shuttle?
Old Aug 18, 2001, 5:07 pm
Original Member

We've never reserved a taxi there are plenty at the airport especially when flights arrive (about $18 to the Marriott, Aruba has fixed taxi fares). The Marriott does not have a shuttle.
Old Feb 19, 2002, 9:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, SPG Gold, Delta Platnium
Marriott Resort in Aruba

Has anyone stayed at the Marriott in Aruba (not the Vacation Club)? I am thinking aboout cashing in some points to go down there for a week. How does it compare to other Carribean resorts?

Also if anyone has any thoughts on the islands... which ones are good to go to, that would be great also!
Old Feb 20, 2002, 9:11 am

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB

I stayed at the Resort for a week last year in the Vacation club side so I can't comment on the rooms but it is all one property.This is a nice property. It is a little away from the other resorts but not a big problem to drive around the island.
This island is not tropical it is like a dessert and always windy.
Gambling is a large draw and a focal point of the island.
Aruba is also a port city so lots of cruise ship passengers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.