Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Gift Cheques Update?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2011, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, DL DM MM. National Exec... and my CC qualified for Plat. Status!
Marriott Gift Cheques going the way of the All-Inclusive reward???

My boss just ordered a $1000 in gift cheques over the phone. He said the agent told him that it was a good thing he was ordering them now because they are going away at the end of the year.

I know the is always wording that says they are available until 12.31.xx, but is this the year they disappear like the All-Inclusive rewards? Lets hope not...

I use them pretty often and they have enabled me to do alot that I would othewise not have been able to do. They are a great option for using your points even though so many agents haven't a clue how to use them. Say it ain't so, Marriott.

VIVA LA GIFT CHEQUE!!!!

oh, and Happy Travels!
Old Dec 19, 2011, 11:44 am

Programs: AA PLAT, Marriot Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
I will probably jump on this bandwagon and order some for myself before it disappeared without notice.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 12:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum; UAL Silver
Thanks for the heads up. I hope Marriott Concierge sees this and provides a definitive answer.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 1:33 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I just found out that this is true. Marriott Rewards will no longer offer Marriott Gift Cheques, the Dinner-for-Two and Spa Experience rewards for point redemption. These awards will be discontinued as of December 31, 2011 and replaced with Marriott GiftCards in January 2012.

The catch is that to get $1,000 in gift cards, it is now going to be 190,000 instead of the usual 135,000 points. If my math is right, this is an increase of 31%.

First the all inclusive awards, now the Gift Cheques - I can only imagine what is next. I am guessing travel packages can't be too far behind.

Time to take my 100+ nights, Chase card, and 5 events per year to someplace else.

:t d:
Old Dec 19, 2011, 1:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier, SPG Plat, Delta Skymiles Silver Medallion
So what's left? CL access? I guess I will just make sure I have 50 nights a year to maintain gold status and take the remaining 150 nights I stayed this year somewhere else.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 3:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
It would appear this is published on the Marriott website, for example;

Originally Posted by https://www.marriott.com/rewards/moreRewardDetail.mi?marrRewardCode=390&points=20,0 00
Note: Beginning January 2012, the Dinner-for-Two reward* will be replaced with the Dining GiftCard. This new card will be available in denominations of $100 and $200, and have no expiration date. It will maintain its balance until depleted and be accepted at Marriott restaurants worldwide.

* Rewards redeemed before December 31, 2011, will be honored until the expiration date.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 3:38 pm

Programs: Delta PM
The fine print to this reward says that it cannot be used for convention rates. Does anyone have experience with this?
Old Dec 19, 2011, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
A Marriott Rewards rep said the same thing to me today about it going away at the 135,000 level. At least we know in advance, even if it's only 11 days. A big to Marriott for trying to sneak another one past us.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
I just find it truly astonishing that Marriott is not able to communicate these "enhancements" in more timely manner. Actually, it would help if they would communicate at all.

Trying to sneak yet another devaluation wouldn't surprise me at all.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 7:36 am

Programs: MR LT Platinum, HH Diamond, WN A-List,
I am very disappointed to see these go. I have used them before and I was very happy with their value.

Like someone else said - next to go is the travel package.... That is such a good value I won't be suprised to see it vanish with less notice than the EEO, Gift Cheques, and other offers.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 7:40 am

Bummer. I really like them. I better cash in another 135,000 before year end!
Old Dec 20, 2011, 8:05 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Remind me, please. Marriott Cheques expire one year from the date ordered? Is that correct?
Old Dec 20, 2011, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by dionnec123

The catch is that to get $1,000 in gift cards, it is now going to be 190,000 instead of the usual 135,000 points. If my math is right, this is an increase of 31%.
Your math is incorrect. The number of points required for the same award in gift cards will increase by 41%.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 8:26 am

Programs: AA PLAT, Marriot Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Old Hickory
Remind me, please. Marriott Cheques expire one year from the date ordered? Is that correct?
Yes, they expire one year from the date ordered. I have set my calendar reminder to call in on 12/30/2011.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 9:04 am

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Diamond; CCarlson Elite
OK. I've got 140K+ points rolling around, but I'm new to the gift check thing. Why are they such a good deal? Please enlighten!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.