Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Case Monica Employee Loses Job for Not Remove American Flag Pin (wore for 2yrs)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2011, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier/LT Plat; SPG Plat/LT Gold; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat

This is at the Casa Monica, Autograph Collection. From the news report it said they had a change in corporate structure resulting in rules being enforced. Are they new to Marriott? I can understand not wanting hotel employees to wear pins that support causes, because you never know which one might anger people. But this is a flag pin and he wore it for the past 2 years without issue. Why bring it up after 2 yrs?

http://www.news4jax.com/video/29478810/index.html
"
An employee at the Casa Monica Hotel in St. Augustine, Florida was asked to leave the premises for refusing to remove an American flag pin from his jacket on Wednesday. Sean May, who has worked for more than two years at the company, now faces the harsh reality of losing his job as the front desk supervisor.

May, in an exclusive interview with Townhall.com, explained that following his weekly staff meeting on Wednesday -- he was unexpectedly asked by the HR Director to remove the insignia from his uniform. When he protested the policy, he was given two options: Remove the pin or go home.

As a valued and award winning employee, Sean May surprised co-workers by taking the latter course of action. The flag, he explained, symbolizes the principles and values he cherishes as an American. He could not, in short, accept an arbitrary policy that denies employees the right to express their patriotism.

“I enjoy what this country offers,” he said. “A large circle of my friends share these beliefs. I feel like a lot of people aren’t satisfied what’s going on in our country, and that’s their agenda. I’m expressing myself in a positive light.”

Yet, while the Casa Monica Hotel will probably uphold their longstanding policy -- May is not a disgruntled staff member seeking to foment turmoil. He has no political motivations, he says, or desires to boycott his employer. On the contrary, he takes pride in his job and expressed gratitude for the opportunity to work for the company. What profoundly frustrates him, though, is how the policy went unenforced for years until recently.

“I’ve been wearing this [pin] for two years,” he said. “Why is it an issue now?”

The flag, which he identifies as a ubiquitous part of American society, should not be trivialized or banned, he says. All citizens – from presidential candidates to ordinary people – wear flag pins to symbolize their patriotism. And to make matters worse, he further explained, even the owner of the company knew he wore the emblem – adding to his growing disillusionment with the sudden change in policy.

“I don’t like no as an answer,” he said. “I’ve never been a black and white person -- you got to give me some gray area in between. It’s silly they’re upset about a pin [that is] inoffensive and unobtrusive.”

The reality is, however, that his actions might cost him his job. And while he never expected the story to make national headlines -- or bring him to the precipice of unemployment -- he’s proud for standing up for what he believes.

“I feel strongly about it. My heart is in the right place and my head is catching up to where I’ve acted. I’m going to stick to my guns,” he said.

--

Update: At 3:15 pm this afternoon, Sean was let go for his "failure to comply with uniform code". "

Last edited by welookgood.com; Oct 15, 2011 at 6:23 pm
Old Oct 15, 2011, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier/LT Plat; SPG Plat/LT Gold; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat
"
Tonight's story on News4Jax.com follows the station's Thursday interview with May, 26, during which he describes being given a choice by his employer: Take the pin off and stay at work, or keep it on and leave the hotel. He chose to keep the pin on, as he'd done for two years.

"I've actually gotten more comments about it than any of the service I've actually done at the hotel," May told the Jacksonville station. "They're so upset about a little pin, yet I come to work every day and flying over the hotel is a giant American flag."

Casa Monica responds

In an email to News4Jax.com, the hotel says:

"The Casa Monica Hotel located in St. Augustine, Florida, is an American-based, homegrown historic hotel," the email reads. "The property reflects its pride in America and great patriotism by flying the Stars and Stripes high over the hotel. The American flag greets every guest and employee with its symbolism of our belief in this great country."

"However, our employee handbook clearly states, 'No other buttons, badges, pins or insignias of any kind are permitted to be worn.' No matter an individual's national preference, political views or religious affiliation, it is a standard regulation which ensures equality for all Grand Performers (employees)."

The hotel is part of Marriott's Autograph Collection, which is a network of unique hotels that don't have to follow Marriott's strict brand guidelines, including rules that dictate personal appearance."

http://travel.usatoday.com/hotels/po...g-pin/553847/1

"St. Johns County Commissioner Mark Miner, a sergeant in the Florida National Guard, issued a statement Friday criticizing the hotel’s management.

“The Casa Monica Hotel and Kessler Enterprises certainly have the legal right to forbid their employees from wearing an American flag pin,” Miner wrote. “However, their inability to discern between the flag of our nation and other pins and buttons their policies forbid is of great concern to me.”

Miner also wrote the policy shows “disrespect” for the flag and has brought “embarrassment” upon St. Johns County."
Old Oct 15, 2011, 6:33 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
What if he was wearing the American Flag pin upside down, on purpose, indicating his patriotic concern that America is in trouble?

What if he was a citizen of Iraq, legally working in America, who wanted to wear the Iraqui flag as a symbol of his heritage, to assist guests in knowing where he came from?

What if he was a religious Muslim who wanted to wear the appropriate symbol to represent his deep respect for America's religious diversity?

What if he wanted to show he was really patriotic so he wore ten American flags (like restaurants where you wear lots of items of swag)?

What if he wanted to wear the Dixie flag to honor the historic base of the American south?

Does an employer have a right to stop any of these?
Old Oct 15, 2011, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

I posted this article since it's hitting newspapers like crazy now and concerns a Marriott hotel.

As someone very familiar with labor law the employer has the right to have a dress code and fire someone over it. Including a small pin. (In a union environment in which employee has done it for 2 years, progressive discipline rules would apply and he wouldn't be fired like this; since he was a supervisor I'm assuming he wasn't a union member)

But if the employee was doing it for 2 years, it's a small pin, and he's a supervisor, and it could cause a big controversy that result in less business it's not a smart move. It's better to let things be. It seems the hotel is getting many bad reviews (which at some pt will need to be scraped) on tripadvisor, google, and facebook from angry customers. I can bet Marriott will be contacted.

This is similar to a public school's zero tolerance policy. I read where kid realized he brought Tylenol to school, told a teacher and was suspended and ordered into rehab. Commonsense should apply. This is a small flag pin. If they let him do it for 2 yrs, does it really matter if they let him continue?
Old Oct 15, 2011, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Shabby, shabby, shabby!
Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:02 pm

That's terrible!

Originally Posted by welookgood.com
From the news report it said they had a change in corporate structure resulting in rules being enforced. Are they new to Marriott?
The hotel isn't new to Marriott. It joined in early 2010 as one of the first batch of Autograph Collection hotels. The press release is dated January 25, 2010.

This hotel is part of the Kessler Collection management holding company. Their properties have been slowly joining the Autograph Collection. The Kessler Canyon is the most recent, joining May 11, 2011. There is no obvious, publicly announced recent corporate restructuring news.

Marriott doesn't seem to have had any recent corporate restructuring, and I don't think the Autograph Collection as a whole is that strict. In fact, this seems to be the opposite of the AK concept. Did the news report imply that the hotel was blaming this on Marriott/AK rules?

The other Kessler Collection properties within Marriott (all Autograph Collection branded) are:If you visit one, look for flag pins.

(Of Kessler's existing hotels, only one (Beaver Creek Lodge) is an independent property not (yet?) part of the Autograph Collection. They also operate the Kessler Castle Holiday Inn Resort in Orlando.)

Originally Posted by sbrower
What if he was wearing the American Flag pin upside down, on purpose, indicating his patriotic concern that America is in trouble?

What if he was a citizen of Iraq, legally working in America, who wanted to wear the Iraqui flag as a symbol of his heritage, to assist guests in knowing where he came from?

What if he was a religious Muslim who wanted to wear the appropriate symbol to represent his deep respect for America's religious diversity?

What if he wanted to show he was really patriotic so he wore ten American flags (like restaurants where you wear lots of items of swag)?

What if he wanted to wear the Dixie flag to honor the historic base of the American south?
As far as we know, he wasn't. As welookgood.com said, that sort of thinking might work in a public school. But who wants to stay in a luxury hotel run along those lines, overreacting to imaginary hypotheticals:

Can you store my luggage until the evening? What if it contains a live dog?

Can I have room service with a client? What if you have a bachelor party?

Can I check in at 2:58 p.m.? What if you wanted to check in the evening before?

There's a possibility that the hotel wanted to fire the employee and used a minor dress code violation as an excuse. I'm not sure that's even legal. Any other situation seems to be legal, but really dumb.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

The story just hit drudgereport as well as many more newspapers.

Bet you
-HR person/Mgr who decided to do firing will be let go
-Competing hotel (Starwood/Hilton) will give him job offer for more $.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 1:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott PLAT, Starwood PLT, Hilton Silver
The story just hit drudgereport as well as many more newspapers.

Bet you
-HR person/Mgr who decided to do firing will be let go
-Competing hotel (Starwood/Hilton) will give him job offer for more $.
^ I definitely hope he gets a better paying offer from Starwood or any other competition. From the article it seems he was a great employee. Sometimes people just don't use common sense.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As in, the common sense idea that maybe removing a little pin and keeping your job is a good idea? Personally I wouldn't want an employee who'd make such a fuss over soemthing like that.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:15 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold

Does an employer have a right to stop any of these?
Exactly.

If someone wanted to wear one of the aforementioned more controversial pins and the employee used the excuse, "But _he_ gets to wear his...", then you have a bigger issue to deal with. Not allowing any pins makes enforcement easier and more fair without having to make value judgements.

The fact that the employee refused to do it indicates a bigger agenda on the employee's part.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
As in, the common sense idea that maybe removing a little pin and keeping your job is a good idea? Personally I wouldn't want an employee who'd make such a fuss over soemthing like that.
I dunno about that. Seems to me an employee who prizes loyalty and patriotism over mere money would be a plus. But then everyone's values are not the same . . . .
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wearing a pin or not wearing a pin has about as much to do with loyalty and patriotism as wearing pants with cuffs or without.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

While the hotel had every right to do what it did, the employee wore the pin for 2 years without issue and was a supervisor. I realize an employee could where other pins that are offensive but they didn't.

The amount of money the hotel will be losing (a few people have mentioned canceling reservations and meetings in the articles) will far outweigh the benefit of if they just let things be.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by keeton
Not allowing any pins makes enforcement easier and more fair without having to make value judgements.
Yes, but that's another way of saying that the management wants to do less work. Who wants to stay a luxury hotel with lazy managers?
Old Oct 16, 2011, 2:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

+1. Pins, ribbons, etc, don't belong at work, whether well-intentioned or not. And if they allow his pin, then they have to allow the above.

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
As in, the common sense idea that maybe removing a little pin and keeping your job is a good idea?
+1.

“I enjoy what this country offers,” he said. “A large circle of my friends share these beliefs. I feel like a lot of people aren’t satisfied what’s going on in our country, and that’s their agenda. I’m expressing myself in a positive light.”
Underline mine. Sounds like an agenda, even if a benign one. But agendas get left at the employee door entrance.

Originally Posted by keeton
Not allowing any pins makes enforcement easier and more fair without having to make value judgements.
+1.

While the hotel had every right to do what it did, the employee wore the pin for 2 years without issue and was a supervisor. I realize an employee could where other pins that are offensive but they didn't.

The amount of money the hotel will be losing (a few people have mentioned canceling reservations and meetings in the articles) will far outweigh the benefit of if they just let things be.
How do you know someone didn't find his wearing an American flag pin offensive? Maybe that's what started all of this - perhaps someone complained. Or maybe management just noticed it 2 years later & decided to enforce a uniform policy. That's their perogative.

My guess is the amount of money the hotel is losing will be minimal - or short term. People will forget about it - and Sean May - after a while. And some might decide to stay there because the policy was enforced. You never know.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.