Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Now this is how you treat Plat Elites!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2011, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle

I have an upcoming long weekend booked at the Hilton Head Marriott. I received an email yesterday from the Front Desk Supervisor. Since making Platinum Elite in January, I've started getting more of these type of welcome/thanks for staying communications. Since I'm taking two teenagers and the wife and we're sharing two double beds, I responded with a polite email mentioning my Plat Elite status and my 190+ room nights last year and how much I've enjoyed staying at HHI before. I hit them up for a room upgrade and by golly, they bit. I received a response today confirming my upgrade to a junior suite. I'm assuming that this is an Executive Suite as listed on their web site based on the room description in the email:
http://www.hiltonheadmarriott.com/executive_suites.html

Now this is how you treat a Platinum Elite! I don't go into a hotel expecting an upgrade and I always ask what's available when I check in. But knowing that me and the missus can enjoy some privacy at the beach is really great.

I really appreciate the chance to communicate with hotel management (including the time I pointed out all the bad grammar and misspellings in one of their welcome emails ).

Thanks, Marriott!
Old May 25, 2011, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
I would love to see Marriott come up with some kind of upgrade procedure like Delta. They know enough about their inventory that they could do something like that. They could even improve their cancellation rate by offering an upgrade for Plats 5 days out and require that you lock in your reservation by pre-paying the first night at that time to get the upgrade.
Old May 25, 2011, 7:26 pm

One word of caution. You may find that the bedding in the suite is one king bed, and then a double pull out sofa. In my family, we would prefer the two doubles, as two people in a sofe bed for > one night can be uncomfortable. You could always ask for a rollaway.
Old May 25, 2011, 11:20 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by GeorgeBurdell
I received a response today confirming my upgrade to a junior suite. I'm assuming that this is an Executive Suite as listed on their web site based on the room description in the email:
http://www.hiltonheadmarriott.com/executive_suites.html
Reminds me of my days as a Platinum Premier, when I would get a call from a senior customer service rep at the hotel a few days prior to my arrival to discuss "my needs". Suite upgrades were only a part of the discussion....
Old May 26, 2011, 4:13 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, PC Plat, Hertz Gold
Great property with a fabulous staff. They were all so nice to us when we stayed last October. The rooms could use some updating but the exterior/location cannot be beat. If you rent bikes, in lieu of renting from the hotel I would recommend going outside the front of the hotel (about one block) to the rental place--their prices are much cheaper.
Old May 26, 2011, 8:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Sweet! ^

SCE is right...it'll probably be a King and a pullout - most suites are - but they're teenagers!! They can crash anywhere!

Enjoy the stay!
Old May 26, 2011, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mine are 12 and 9 and they HATE sharing a pullout. They would much rather we get a double/double, which is much less comfortable for me and the husband. It's always a tough call.
Old May 26, 2011, 9:25 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
I stayed at that HH Marriott a couple of years ago and even on an award stay, they upgraded me to a jr. suite without asking so it must be a common practice. The only thing is that the suite was land side rather than the ocean side with the view being that of the parking lot. To be perfectly honest, I would have preferred the ocean view to the larger room. I dont think there is a CL at that property, either, but I was there over a weekend so it was a moot point.
Old May 26, 2011, 8:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, AA Executive Platinum, AmEx Platinum Card, SPG Platinum
The website says:

The suite can be configured with a king or double bedroom and can be used as a two-bedroom suite. There are private balconies for both rooms
So I think you are good to go ..
Old May 27, 2011, 3:51 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marr Plat, Natl Elite, AMEX Plat, AA PP
In the picture, from the link you provide, that looks like a Murphy bed to me, much more comfy than a pull out sofa! We are not too far from HHI so thanks for sharing, we might consider this property in the future for a quick family getaway.

Keep us posted!
Old May 27, 2011, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA - Exec Plat, Marriott Platinum Premiere; Lifetime Platinum;
Have stayed at this property at least once or twice per year over the last many, many years. Agree that the staff is great. Recall seeing the same bellhops for many years. Check out the magnificant sand castle in the lobby. There is no concierge lounge as this is a resort property. Restaurant is very good for breakfast but a bit pricey. Too many fine restaurants at all price levels on the island to eat dinner here. Consider Giuseppie's Italian restaurant, medium to lower priced for a great family lunch or family dinner. Alexander's is a great seafood restaurant, at a more premium price.
Have fun!
Old May 27, 2011, 7:11 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold
I was staying at Anaheim Marriott for Spring Break vacation last month and they upgraded our room to hospitality suite which had a murphy bed and sofabed and it was pretty big space. But my wife didn't like the murphy bed and I asked front desk nicely and I was given another king room next to our room which was connected for the duration of our stay (4 nights) for free.
Old May 27, 2011, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Go to the Berlin Marriott and you'll really see how it should work. They are first class the whole way.

There are others in the Plat Prem Benefits thread.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Post trip followup

We were treated very well at this hotel (as usual). The Front Desk Supervisor happened to check me in and remembered my email exchange. She upgraded me as promised to a junior suite. This one had a sofa bed and we added a rollaway. My step-daughter was a little disappointed at no murphy bed (which was my assumption, not promised by the hotel) but she chose the rollaway. We were also comped breakfast for the entire stay after I asked about breakfast options at check-in. That's a pretty good deal considering the buffet there is $18.50.

The hotel staff was very accomodating and friendly. My Plat Prem status was recognized several times. Extra pillows and towels were promptly delivered upon request including a follow-up call to make sure everything was satisfactory.

The hotel could use a little updating as in the TVs which are non-lcd but worked fine.

Overall, we had a good weekend with some fun meals out at the Wild Wing (original location) and the new Mellow Mushroom pizza (both SE regional chains), shark fishing, lunch at the Salty Dog, an evening in Savannah with dinner at Pearl's Saltwater Grill and the Haunted Tours ghost walk.

BTW, gas is cheap in the HHI area averaging $3.41/gal and as cheap as $3.27/gal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.