Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Springhill Suites Houston Intercontinental Airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2010, 7:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Stayed here for 1 night while attending SMD2. Have to say I was very impressed!

First, I don't think I've EVER run across such cheerful people working at a property! They were great.

This is only the 3rd time I've ever stayed at a SHS so I'm not an expert, but my understanding is this is the 'new style' SHS. If it is, let me repeat again - I'm impressed.

Check in was quick. I was using a free Cat 1-4 cert. They wanted a cc for incidentals. I knew I wouldn't use any due to SMD2 activities, but fyi for anyone staying here. I think the incidental charge is $40/night (or so my cc showed).

The room was quite nice. Really like the colors, furniture, sep bathing room from w/c.

There is a bar & restaurant area, which would be nice in the evenings. Due to SMD2 I didn't use it because activities were next door at the IAH Sheraton.

I didn't have much time for brekkie in the morning, but I was meeting bk3day before heading to the IAH Sheraton where we switched to due to the Do & she pointed out that the waffle maker made waffles in the form of the state of Texas! I think I wolfed down 2 bites of scrambled eggs & some milk because of running late, but can't remember all that was on offer.

Sorry I can't provide more info due to such a short stay, but hope this helps. Like the property & really like the staff.

I think the airport shuttle runs every 30 minutes on the half hour.

Here are pictures:

http://public.fotki.com/SkiAdcock/ho...hill-suites-h/

Cheers.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM; IHG Spire; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold (UA); National Executive Elite
That hotel is brand-new I believe. I'm really a fan of the SHS, at least the newer ones.

They've looked at Hampton Inn and Fairfield, and worked out what sucks about them...then did the opposite.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 12:39 am
LKO

Programs: Marriott platinum
Sharon,
Did they actually charge you $40 per night or was it just a hold on your CC?

I stayed at a Springhill Suites (near Baltimore airport) for the first time about 18 months ago and had a similar experience. I was very impressed, with the staff, room and breakfast. Excellent service and a very pleasant stay.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Platinum, 2MM since 1981, MAR Lifetime Plat, IHG Plat Amb. Global Entry
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I didn't have much time for brekkie in the morning, but I was meeting bk3day before heading to the IAH Sheraton where we switched to due to the Do & she pointed out that the waffle maker made waffles in the form of the state of Texas!
Of course the waffles were in the shape of Texas, are there any other kinds?

From the photos I can confirm that is the new aka "Aqua" Spring Hill layour which I have posted elsewhere are a favorite of mine.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 6:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by LKO
Sharon,
Did they actually charge you $40 per night or was it just a hold on your CC?
It was just a hold, not actual charge.

Actually I wasn't that thrilled about the hold because I had told them at check-in that I was leaving in an hour (got there at 6pm), would be back at midnight & out the door again at 9am, & thus wouldn't be charging anything to the room, and asked them not to do an incidental hold. My timeline was exactly as I described & I made no charges as predicted. So I was a bit miffed to find she had done a hold anyway. The amount wasn't much so in the scheme of things it didn't matter, but if it had been like my stay at the Alqonquin earlier in the week when they put a $410 hold on a room I had already paid for it could have been a problem.

The person who did the hold was the only one of the staff I encountered who was 'eh' in her attitude towards guests. All the others were so cheerful, friendly & helpful I thought they had taken a happy pill

I definitely like the 'new' version of the Springhill Suites.

Cheers.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
It was just a hold, not actual charge.

Actually I wasn't that thrilled about the hold because I had told them at check-in that I was leaving in an hour (got there at 6pm), would be back at midnight & out the door again at 9am, & thus wouldn't be charging anything to the room, and asked them not to do an incidental hold. My timeline was exactly as I described & I made no charges as predicted. So I was a bit miffed to find she had done a hold anyway. The amount wasn't much so in the scheme of things it didn't matter, but if it had been like my stay at the Alqonquin earlier in the week when they put a $410 hold on a room I had already paid for it could have been a problem.

The person who did the hold was the only one of the staff I encountered who was 'eh' in her attitude towards guests. All the others were so cheerful, friendly & helpful I thought they had taken a happy pill

I definitely like the 'new' version of the Springhill Suites.

Cheers.
Glad it worked out. ^
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K-MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Avis something or other
Stayed in a new style SHS in PIT. Very nice hotel. I liked it very much.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 4:38 pm

I stayed in this hotel last week, based upon tripadvisor recommendations (I have a wonky travel itinerary for work, so I am a mid-level elite with Marriott, SPG, and Hilton -- wish they all had good properties everywhere I travel, but alas! -- and got good suggestions for this place).

In any event, I, too, was pleased.

My only complaint is that the front desk didn't have any ideas/suggestions for dining options. I ended up driving across the street in my rental car and getting Jack in the Box for dinner. In the scheme of things, I consider this *very minor,* and yes, I know, no concierge-type service in this level of hotel.

I am a young woman business traveler and I had a 7 AM flight out in the morning. The front desk guy, a much older gentleman, walked me to my car in the early AM hours (totally unsolicited, by the way) and said he wanted to make sure I got off safely. It was dark out and I guess he was somewhat concerned. . . I thought it was overkill (I'm not as fragile as I look!) but in retrospect, it was a very nice, unnecessary touch.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
Originally Posted by Lefleur
I stayed in this hotel last week, based upon tripadvisor recommendations (I have a wonky travel itinerary for work, so I am a mid-level elite with Marriott, SPG, and Hilton -- wish they all had good properties everywhere I travel, but alas! -- and got good suggestions for this place).

In any event, I, too, was pleased.

My only complaint is that the front desk didn't have any ideas/suggestions for dining options. I ended up driving across the street in my rental car and getting Jack in the Box for dinner. In the scheme of things, I consider this *very minor,* and yes, I know, no concierge-type service in this level of hotel.

I am a young woman business traveler and I had a 7 AM flight out in the morning. The front desk guy, a much older gentleman, walked me to my car in the early AM hours (totally unsolicited, by the way) and said he wanted to make sure I got off safely. It was dark out and I guess he was somewhat concerned. . . I thought it was overkill (I'm not as fragile as I look!) but in retrospect, it was a very nice, unnecessary touch.
While the desk agent should've been able to direct you somewhere, the fact remains that there are no decent dining options in that area. The closest your going to find anything is northeast of the airport at US 59 and FM 1960. It's all chain restaurants up there but there are some decent choices. For better food from places that aren't chains, you'd have to go way further into Houston.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Stayed there this week. Nicely designed rooms as described previously, small but nice fitness center (cold towels in a frig there were a nice touch), very loud a/c/ and still no decent dining options around seven years after the property was built (we also did Jack-in-the-Box; service was amazingly slow). Still nice staff.

overall no complaints and a good deal for 15,000 points (will be going down to 12,500 next month).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.