Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Renaissance Providence, RI [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Renaissance Providence, RI [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by bhrubin
. A very impressive Renaissance in a very impressive former bank building.
Not a bank, Masonic Temple but great review.

http://www.ppsri.org/most-endangered...masonic-temple
Old May 17, 2017, 5:15 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ellinj
Not a bank, Masonic Temple but great review.

http://www.ppsri.org/most-endangered...masonic-temple
Corrected. Thanks!
Old May 17, 2017, 8:22 pm

Really liked this hotel when I was there a few years ago.
Old May 18, 2017, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Twice I was in room 326, and once I was in 426.
I think i stayed in 326 last year (was upgraded to a king suite from a standard points room).

We felt the room itself was a handicapped capable room given the shower, toilet and overall bathroom layout. Not that there is anything wrong with that but I do wonder how the regular king suites may be laid out.

Prior two stays before that we never got upgraded.

The lounge is quite nice and the breakfast in the restaurant is also delicious.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 8:51 pm

Update from a recent weekend stay: While most things remain the same, including comfortable rooms (although no upgrade) and friendly valet and hotel staff, unfortunately they've decided to downgrade the elite breakfast offered when the lounge is closed. They now offer a bare minimum continental breakfast buffet set up in a side room off the restaurant. Offers a few slices of fruit, toast and a toaster, self service hot water and oat meal packets, and a few dried out croissants and muffins. You're also entitled to juice and coffee by waiter service.

The previously offered choice of an elite menu or $26 credit towards the full menu is gone in favor of the new less than a Fairfield Inn option. (One other elite was in the restaurant while I was there, they took one look at the buffet and told the waitress never mind.) I mentioned that I found this disappointing at checkout and it was very obvious I was not the first person to complain - and I was told they old made this change 1-2 weeks ago.

It's unfortunate because other than this I very much like the hotel and it's location - but between the useless elite breakfast, $32 valet parking charge, and generally higher room rates I think it might be time to give the Marriott a few blocks away a try instead and see if they can do any better next time I'm in Providence.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: Delta PM 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by PrancingPonyGoldMember
Update from a recent weekend stay: While most things remain the same, including comfortable rooms (although no upgrade) and friendly valet and hotel staff, unfortunately they've decided to downgrade the elite breakfast offered when the lounge is closed. They now offer a bare minimum continental breakfast buffet set up in a side room off the restaurant. Offers a few slices of fruit, toast and a toaster, self service hot water and oat meal packets, and a few dried out croissants and muffins. You're also entitled to juice and coffee by waiter service.

The previously offered choice of an elite menu or $26 credit towards the full menu is gone in favor of the new less than a Fairfield Inn option. (One other elite was in the restaurant while I was there, they took one look at the buffet and told the waitress never mind.) I mentioned that I found this disappointing at checkout and it was very obvious I was not the first person to complain - and I was told they old made this change 1-2 weeks ago.

It's unfortunate because other than this I very much like the hotel and it's location - but between the useless elite breakfast, $32 valet parking charge, and generally higher room rates I think it might be time to give the Marriott a few blocks away a try instead and see if they can do any better next time I'm in Providence.
Let’s hope this is not a new trend; we all need to vigorously complain, when we encounter this situation, so that this does not become the new normal.
Old May 27, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Stayed May 2019. I have Bonvoy Titanium status.

Booked the lowest category room on an awards stay. Was upgraded to... the Presidential Suite. Quite an experience... So I'd say that elite recognition is pretty darned good at this property. This is probably the best hotel upgrade I've ever scored or am likely to score.

Even without the upgrade, this has to be one of the nicest Marriott(-affiliated) properties I've stayed in in the US.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:54 am

I'm always happy to comment when places correct their mistakes - As of June 2019, The Ren Providence is now opening the lounge on weekends for breakfast only. Typical continental offering along with scrambled eggs and bacon/sausage.

Looks like they took the comments about the restaurant breakfast downgrade seriously!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Any updates here? Do you get a full breakfast if you select breakfast as the Platinum amenity?
Old Aug 13, 2022, 9:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
I stayed at the Renaissance Providence in July - I enjoyed my stay and would return:
- Great location, very convenient to the State House, the River, the RISD, and downtown
- Across the street from Providence Place Mall, which has many restaurants available
- Rooms have a sense of history, place, and style. They are comfortable and a nice size
- Titanium - I don't think I received an upgrade beyond higher floor but the room was spacious and met my needs
- Nice gym with a variety of equipment, open 24 hours
- My stay was on a weekend - lounge was closed
- Received $20 breakfast per person voucher in lieu of additional points for breakfast at the hotel's restaurant Public Kitchen & Bar -- initially, I though this was a great value as the voucher is higher than what most hotels give when the lounge is closed and the restaurant looked nice and had a full breakfast menu. However, the restaurant is severely under-staffed -- they routinely ran a 15+ minute wait to get a table (which some customers ignored and pushed past people to sit down anyway, as there was no hostess). Then, once you sat down, it would take at least another 30 minutes to get your food all while feeling stressed by the waitstaff running around, screaming at each other, etc. The breakfast is only usable if you have 75-90 minutes to spare. There is no buffet or grab & go option - you have to go through the under-resourced waitstaff
- Overall, I would stay again but would choose points in lieu of breakfast, as I don't value breakfast enough to put up with the stress of trying to use the restaurant
- Other than the restaurant, highly recommend

Last edited by DCFlyer0306; Aug 13, 2022 at 9:56 pm
Old Jan 12, 2023, 11:40 am

Programs: United 1K; Marriott Titanium
Stayed here earlier in the week for the 2nd time (1st time was peak covid and wouldn't have been a fair comparison).

Largely nothing else to report from past few posts. Nice hotel and I'll be back. "Upgraded" to a top floor corner room. Same room type but nice, quiet room w/ a decent view. Didn't have time to eat at the restaurant, but did have a few drinks at the bar. Lounge was open, but kind of sad. No windows and fairly standard faire. Also - the hotel GM or sales manager was there during breakfast "chatting" and handing out his biz card("selling") to guests - asking what we do for work, what our roles are, etc. I appreciate his grind, but also let me enjoy my hangover eggs in peace. Only other negative is that the valet reminded me twice that gratuity was not included in the $38/night parking. Thanks bro...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.