Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Credit Card Survey - Potential New Features for Premier Visa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2009, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*

I got a credit card survey for the Marriott Premier Visa (the credit card that gives US residents 15 elite nights each year, along with a free room certificate) with an offer to earn 500 points for taking the survey. In part of the survey, they ask about what statements are more attractive to read as a customer. Four of the statements caught my eye.

I am paraphrasing here for the first one: "Your (Marriott) points never expire as long as your account remains active." Now, Marriott has rules that state that points can expire without activity in 24 months, but they have never enforced these rules. If they actually start enforcing this provision, it would be a negative. I suspect, however, that JP Morgan Chase (the card issuer) might actually be thinking about making an ambiguous statement that would suggest/encourage card holders to use the card by hinting that it would help keep an account active.

The second statement suggests a 15,000 point rebate for redeeming a 7 night award at a category 7 or 8 property as a benefit for having a Premier Visa card. Now, this would seem like a beneficial, new benefit (although I am not sure if that statement would also apply to travel packages).

The third statement: earn an extra elite night for every $3,000 charged. I am assuming that this is a proposed new annual benefit.

The fourth statement: 24 hour referral service for emergency roadside assistance: towing and fuel delivery were highlighted. Not too exciting for me since I have AAA membership, rent from Hertz (they have good roadside assistance), and own a car still under warranty.

The rest of the statements cover features that we know about: point earning with card, award options, elite status (benefits of silver status and Ultimate Reservation Guarantee), rental car insurance benefit from a credit card, compensation for lost luggage if you buy an airline ticket with the card, and other marketing fluff like earn a free night with 7,500 points (category 1 or pointsaver 2 award - basically FI in the boonies unless you get a pointsaver 2 award, which can actually get some decent properties in some areas).
Old Dec 4, 2009, 11:24 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Took the survey, noticed the new items. However, the current 15 night elite credit, free Cat 5 night (after 1st year), and 5X points are the big ones.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 2:19 pm

Received survey invite but as soon as I hit the next button on the welcome screen, it thanked me for completing the survey.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 2:44 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium Elite, United LT 1M Gold
Originally Posted by heralder
Received survey invite but as soon as I hit the next button on the welcome screen, it thanked me for completing the survey.
I had the exact same issue .... wonder if it has anything to do with using Chrome as my browser?

Bruce
Old Dec 4, 2009, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
A nice feature would be points that are worth something. An earn of one point per $ ordinary spend is a joke given how many points MR now requires to redeem.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by Renard
An earn of one point per $ ordinary spend is a joke given how many points MR now requires to redeem.
Yeah, it's not the best card for ordinary spending - in fact, it's about the worst rewards credit card for ordinary spend.

However, the free night certificate, 15 nights toward elite status, and 5 points/$ on Marriott spend are well worth the annual fee.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 6:13 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BruceWG
I had the exact same issue .... wonder if it has anything to do with using Chrome as my browser?
The same thing happened to me, but I wasn't using Chrome.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 6:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
how did you guys receive the invite for the survey? I haven't rec'd one; on the other hand; I seldom open my paper bill as I just log on to do my reconciliation of charges, paying bills etc
Old Dec 5, 2009, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Thumbs down 500 points for survey (but only for the quick)

Email from Marriott yesterday.

Subj: Your opinion is very important to us

Your opinion matters. By taking 15 minutes to answer our questions about the Marriott Rewards Credit Card, you'll help us better serve you. Plus, you'll get 500 Marriott Rewards points just for sharing your thoughts (points will be credited to your account in about 6 weeks).

Answers to the survey, created with independent market research firm Synovate, are sent securely and are confidential.

Take the survey now

We appreciate your time and opinion.
Email arrived at 3:40 pm. (I wasn't home). Tried to answer the survey around 7:30, less than 4 hours later, and the web page says:
Thank you for your cooperation. Unfortunately, the deadline for this survey has passed.

Ugh. I guess my opinion is not very important to them after all.

And if they already had gotten enough respondents, they should say that and not that a deadline has passed. And they shouldn't send out so many invites that a same-day respondent is rejected.

And from a statistical analysis standpoint, I wonder if self-limiting the responses to those who have time and availability for an immediate response skews the results any?
Old Dec 5, 2009, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
It was sent via email.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 8:12 am

Programs: Continental Plat/MM, Marriott Gold
I think the survey was broken. I clicked the link within minutes of receiving the email, clicked the start button for the survey and then it thanked me for completing it. No survey was presented. I hope I get the points though...
Old Dec 5, 2009, 8:53 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by VA1379
I got a credit card survey for the Marriott Premier Visa (the credit card that gives US residents 15 elite nights each year, along with a free room certificate) with an offer to earn 500 points for taking the survey. In part of the survey, they ask about what statements are more attractive to read as a customer. Four of the statements caught my eye.

I am paraphrasing here for the first one: "Your (Marriott) points never expire as long as your account remains active." Now, Marriott has rules that state that points can expire without activity in 24 months, but they have never enforced these rules. If they actually start enforcing this provision, it would be a negative. I suspect, however, that JP Morgan Chase (the card issuer) might actually be thinking about making an ambiguous statement that would suggest/encourage card holders to use the card by hinting that it would help keep an account active.

The second statement suggests a 15,000 point rebate for redeeming a 7 night award at a category 7 or 8 property as a benefit for having a Premier Visa card. Now, this would seem like a beneficial, new benefit (although I am not sure if that statement would also apply to travel packages).

The third statement: earn an extra elite night for every $3,000 charged. I am assuming that this is a proposed new annual benefit.

The fourth statement: 24 hour referral service for emergency roadside assistance: towing and fuel delivery were highlighted. Not too exciting for me since I have AAA membership, rent from Hertz (they have good roadside assistance), and own a car still under warranty.

The rest of the statements cover features that we know about: point earning with card, award options, elite status (benefits of silver status and Ultimate Reservation Guarantee), rental car insurance benefit from a credit card, compensation for lost luggage if you buy an airline ticket with the card, and other marketing fluff like earn a free night with 7,500 points (category 1 or pointsaver 2 award - basically FI in the boonies unless you get a pointsaver 2 award, which can actually get some decent properties in some areas).
#1 BFD - using the card would automatically keep the card alive, even if its just paying the annual fee which would earn 65 pts yearly.

#2 nice if you can use it multiple times, I guess bringing a 40-50k per night expense back into reality.

#3, seems like everyone is an elite this days fighting over the same slim pickings at the CL.

#4 BFD, "referrral" doesn't mean "paid for".

Just marketing hype IMO.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
#1 BFD - using the card would automatically keep the card alive, even if its just paying the annual fee which would earn 65 pts yearly.
Actually, I don't believe the annual fee counts as a purchase, and I don't think you earn Marriott Rewards points on it. But, yeah, it would only take a cup of coffee per year to generate at least some points to keep the account active.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joshua362

#2 nice if you can use it multiple times, I guess bringing a 40-50k per night expense back into reality.

#3, seems like everyone is an elite this days fighting over the same slim pickings at the CL.

#4 BFD, "referrral" doesn't mean "paid for".

Just marketing hype IMO.
Actually, the first one is a big deal because not everyone has a Marriott Visa card. The current Marriott policy is to not have points expire, even without account activity. Maybe for you this is not a big deal.

As for the third and fourth points, extra elite nights would make it easier to get lifetime status. I did not write anywhere that the car assistance provided by the credit card company would be free.

You seem quite bitter about the cutbacks. I have changed my stay patterns to stay only at properties that have minimized the cutbacks.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 5:09 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by VA1379
Actually, the first one is a big deal because not everyone has a Marriott Visa card. The current Marriott policy is to not have points expire, even without account activity. Maybe for you this is not a big deal.

As for the third and fourth points, extra elite nights would make it easier to get lifetime status. I did not write anywhere that the car assistance provided by the credit card company would be free.

You seem quite bitter about the cutbacks. I have changed my stay patterns to stay only at properties that have minimized the cutbacks.
Yes, quite bitter! Sadly, I don't have the luxury of changing my stay locations in certain places nor want to research new locations and have to make hotel decisions based upon some unknown CL when staying a night or two at a new city. Marriott used to stand for consistency - not of the CL items but consistently good service and expectations.

Never thought about lifetime status, so I am corrected as well as the annual fee.

Sorry about #4, I never thought you implied it was free, I just don't see the benefit in having a credit card company make a call for you (and presumably take a cut of the charges.)

In all, it still strikes me of credit card hype that is heavily promoted as "added" benefits but full of surprises, gotchas, loopholes and headaches when the rare opportunity comes up to benefits from it. AMEX is notorious for this...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.