Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Triple Play 2009 (Gift Card Purchase Bonus)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2009, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Same as last two years -

10 points per dollar for gift card purchases

Purchase between Nov 2 - Dec 31

Max 25,000 points

https://gifts.marriott.com/

Previous year discussion

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ay-2007-a.html
Old Nov 2, 2009, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA P, BA S, A3 *G, IHG Plat, Marriott Lt P, Hilton Gld, etc.
Wow, rarely as it is, this time it works way better for UK customers...
"Earn 20 Marriott Rewards points for every Pound you spend!"

You only need to spend an equivalent of $2044.17 to receive 25,000 points.

The only catch is that you get vouchers instead of cards (partial payments with vouchers are not allowed and they would be converted to USD using hotel's exchange rate... otherwise they are as good as cards.
AX
Old Nov 3, 2009, 6:29 am

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Amex BA PremPlus
This is excellent! Thank you Travel Auto for letting us know.

And 20 MR per £ ? For once, Brits come off better out of this - that doesn't happen all too often

UK-based FlyerTalkers, don't forget to go via Quidco, to receive 5% cashback on your Gift Card/Certificate purchases! (Not sure if you can combine the 5% cashback for Gift Cards, with the 4% cashback for booking a Marriott stay via Quidco as well - does anyone know?)

Edit: I'd originally asked how paying with these effects the MegaBonus promo, but just noticed in the 2007 thread that Gift Cards count as Visa payments so qualify for MegaBonus. So I'll rephrase my original question a little. Does anyone know if UK Gift Certificates qualify for MegaBonus? There's no card involved so I can't see it would register as a Visa payment.

Last edited by SpeedbirdOne; Nov 3, 2009 at 7:21 am
Old Nov 3, 2009, 7:23 am

Programs: Top Tiers for 2013 AA, MR, PC Thanks FT!
When using gift cards, etc, I usually plan that there will be a small portion I will put on a credit card...whichever card the promotion requires. Haven't had a problem...yet!
Old Nov 3, 2009, 8:31 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Thanks OP

Huzzah, I love gift card promos! Thanks OP!
Old Nov 3, 2009, 8:47 am

So, it looks as though we have two promotions going on for the rest of the year,

- The Gift Card one in the original post, which gives 10 Marriott Rewards points per dollar but you pay regular price; or

- The Delta 10% off promotion at https://deltapromo.netlinkrg.com/ where you purchase $1000 or $2000 Vacation Cards* at 10% off and get 1000 or 2000 Delta miles as a bonus.

Nice!

* NOTE: The terms and conditions on use of Vacation Cards are a bit more restrictive than those governing Gift Cards.

Last edited by Counsellor; Nov 3, 2009 at 8:54 am Reason: Add re: T&C
Old Nov 3, 2009, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Brits come out ahead on this one...as long as you watch the hotels closely when they calculate your exchange rate on a non-UK stay.

For example, if you're doing a stay in the U.S., many places don't see GBP certificates often. They first won't have any idea what the certificate is, then they'll go looking for an exchange rate, and finally they'll likely find a "cash" exchange rate - the unattractive hotel rate you'd get if you wanted to pay for the stay with British banknotes.

I frequently had to look up and then show a live FX quote (or perhaps yesterday's WSJ quote) to the front desk to get my Premium Pounds posted correctly.

With the gift card, you know you're getting a Visa-processed transaction with a predictable exchange rate and a relatively low vig.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 10:05 am

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
I rate this slightly better than the DL 10% discount

Rationale, valuing Marriott Points at 1.25 cpp:

Delta deal, get $1000 in Marriott currency for $900, plus get 4500 Marriott points for putting it on the Visa. Net cost for $1000 is $843.75.

Holiday deal, pay $1000, get 15K points, net cost is $812.50. But capped at $2500 total gift cards.

I ignored S&H in my calcs as it is more or less a wash.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 3:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver, Starwood Preferred Guest Plus, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by SpeedbirdOne
This is excellent! Thank you Travel Auto for letting us know.

And 20 MR per £ ? For once, Brits come off better out of this - that doesn't happen all too often

UK-based FlyerTalkers, don't forget to go via Quidco, to receive 5% cashback on your Gift Card/Certificate purchases! (Not sure if you can combine the 5% cashback for Gift Cards, with the 4% cashback for booking a Marriott stay via Quidco as well - does anyone know?)
I don't see why you would not be able to get Quidco cashback on both the Gift Cheque purchase and the reservation as they are two completely separate transactions and totally unconnected.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 9:51 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HHonor Diamond, Hyatt PLAT, Marriott PLat, UA 1K, AA EXP, DL PLAT, BMI Gold, Co PLAT
use promotion code MMF, get 10% extra for amount purchased

Got from Gary's blog

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...tt-gift-cards/

However, I think using this code will invalidate the points earning.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 6:03 am

Last edited by tmcneill; May 12, 2012 at 8:13 am
Old Nov 4, 2009, 11:34 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
FWIW, I bought Marriott gift cards during last summer's Hertz promo and received the Visa 5pts/$. That appears to be independent of the 10pts/$ current promo.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA G, Hil Loser, Marr PL
So in theory, you could get 10 points/dollar plus 5 points/dollar for using visa, then 10 points/dollar at the hotel and 5 points/dollar for platinum?
That's 30 points/dollar which is pretty sweet. This doesn't include the platinum bonus.
Might buy it for personal travel in addition to holiday gifts.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by SpeedbirdOne
Does anyone know if UK Gift Certificates qualify for MegaBonus? There's no card involved so I can't see it would register as a Visa payment.
While we are here - does anyone knoe if UK Gift certificates ever expire?
AX
Old Nov 4, 2009, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by yyliu88
use promotion code MMF, get 10% extra for amount purchased

Got from Gary's blog

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...tt-gift-cards/

However, I think using this code will invalidate the points earning.
Too bad it doesnt work for vouchers.

AX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.