Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

new termination language - notice to abusers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2013, 12:30 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First

The Company reserves the right to revoke, cancel or suspend any Rewards Program Membership, elite membership status (including Lifetime Silver, Lifetime Gold and Lifetime Platinum status), Reward, and/or any and all unredeemed Points or Miles, or take other action at its discretion, at any time with immediate effect and without written notice, if Company believes the Member has (1) violated any of the Program Rules, (2) failed to pay any bills or accounts due to the Company or a participating hotel or any ownership related fees owed to Marriott Vacation Club, (3) acted in a manner inconsistent with applicable law, regulations or ordinances, (4) engaged in any misconduct or wrongdoing in connection with the Rewards Program, including without limitation, involving Point credit, Mile credit, Reward use, or Member benefits, or (5) engaged in abusive, fraudulent, inappropriate, or hostile conduct in connection with the Rewards Program, the participating hotels or their guests or employees, or the Company or its employees.

Nothing in these Program Rules will limit Company from exercising any legal rights or remedies that it may have.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 5:52 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
interesting find. I wonder what/who brought this about?
Old Sep 25, 2013, 6:09 am
Suspended
Original Poster

since this site is monitored, more then likely the posters who brag about how they are beating the system by their unethical and/or fraudulent practices in the past, now and intend to continue doing so in the future..............so let's all say "thank you" to those who have led to this new T&C that basically allows Marriott to suspend and/or terminate with forfeiture of status and points literally for any cause........

Originally Posted by nachosdelux
interesting find. I wonder what/who brought this about?
Old Sep 25, 2013, 7:51 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
since this site is monitored, more then likely the posters who brag about how they are beating the system by their unethical and/or fraudulent practices in the past, now and intend to continue doing so in the future..............
I'm not exactly sure what acts you are referencing, but I'm assuming they are of people taking advantage of loopholes? I wonder if these new T&C are directed less so at those people, and more at people who may be blatantly violating the program rules... i.e. selling or bartering points or reward redemptions. Some of the airlines (like AA) have historically been very aggressive with this type of behavior.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 8:01 am
Suspended
Original Poster

IMO this has nothing to do with buying/selling points..............just look at the language being implemented........it's obviously aimed at those folks who have been consistently bragging about their unethical and/or fraudulent conduct in "beating" the system and then bragging about how they will continue to do it...........to those - please do as once your membership is terminated they'll be one less idiot in the lounge............

Originally Posted by dw
I'm not exactly sure what acts you are referencing, but I'm assuming they are of people taking advantage of loopholes? I wonder if these new T&C are directed less so at those people, and more at people who may be blatantly violating the program rules... i.e. selling or bartering points or reward redemptions. Some of the airlines (like AA) have historically been very aggressive with this type of behavior.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 8:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Maybe. Maybe not. It also says that if you're hostile to employees, etc, or don't pay your bills (time share folk defaulting more maybe?) you can have your account terminated immediately.

Cheers.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
it's obviously aimed at those folks who have been consistently bragging about their unethical and/or fraudulent conduct in "beating" the system and then bragging about how they will continue to do it.
Examples?
Old Sep 25, 2013, 10:18 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by CPRich
Examples?
People who collect two certs under their own name and MR#, then subsequently make a reservation under a spouse's MR# when the spouse will not be at the hotel to gain two additional certs. Marriott has made it clear this violates the terms of MR and is now obviously taking steps to get these people away from Marriott hotels.

It's an embarrassment that those people post on FT. I'd like to think while we all want to legally maximize our points, we as a community stop short of stealing and telling lies.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 10:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Not being married I don't have a dog in this hunt, but I'm confused on how 2 paid reservations with 2 valid MR#s violates T&C for a promo.

Given that Marriott updated 5 separate things at once in the T&Cs, I'm not as much into the sky is falling as others. Could be abuse, could be regular updating. And just because it says they can lock accounts doesn't necessarily mean they will. According to T&C, Marriott can wipe out points/close account after 12 months of no activity & that doesn't happen.

Wonder if a Marriott elite who gets bent out of shape at check-in when they don't get an upgrade to presidential suite & takes it out on the FDC/gets hostile will have their accounts closed?

Cheers.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 10:45 am

Programs: DL, Amex MR
Originally Posted by CJKatl
People who collect two certs under their own name and MR#, then subsequently make a reservation under a spouse's MR# when the spouse will not be at the hotel to gain two additional certs. Marriott has made it clear this violates the terms of MR and is now obviously taking steps to get these people away from Marriott hotels.

It's an embarrassment that those people post on FT. I'd like to think while we all want to legally maximize our points, we as a community stop short of stealing and telling lies.
And how does Marriott prove abuse? What if I or my spouse wanted to do a mattress run to a Courtyard hotel down the block but her or I checks in instead of the other person?

Are mattress runs against T&C for that matter? So people who engage in such practices are stealing their status?
Old Sep 25, 2013, 11:28 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by satz
And how does Marriott prove abuse? What if I or my spouse wanted to do a mattress run to a Courtyard hotel down the block but her or I checks in instead of the other person?
How do you expect to get away with that when Marriott requires a photo ID at check-in? And yes, that would be fraudulent and/or abusive.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 11:36 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Wonder if a Marriott elite who gets bent out of shape at check-in when they don't get an upgrade to presidential suite & takes it out on the FDC/gets hostile will have their accounts closed?
I hope so. On Saturday, I witnessed something similar at the Carlton Hotel, Autograph Collection, in NYC. The elite was a Marriott Platinum and he would not take NO for an answer even through no suites were available. He then demanded that the Carlton find him another Marriott family hotel with a suite upgrade while holding up other guests in line checking in or out. When he found out that all of the other hotels had much higher rates, he gave in and agreed to check in to a non-suite one night only but his wife then insisted on a King because a Queen was too small for them and they only checked in to king bedded rooms for the past half century. Of course, the Carlton only had queens and double beds. But it was also the least expensive Marriott family hotel in Manhattan. [They should have been grateful to even had a room that night.] The whole performance took 15 minutes.

Last edited by DCBob; Sep 25, 2013 at 8:47 pm
Old Sep 25, 2013, 11:45 am

Programs: DL, Amex MR
Originally Posted by DCBob
How do you expect to get away with that when Marriott requires a photo ID at check-in? And yes, that would be fraudulent and/or abusive.
Are you aware that one can be added as a guest on someone's reservation without violating T&C?

Last edited by satz; Sep 25, 2013 at 11:49 am Reason: typos
Old Sep 25, 2013, 12:07 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I would think the "10 elite nights per meeting" and booking a conference room for an (unused) hour probably is a example of what they are getting at.

But stating and changing their T&C and catching and enforcing are two different matters. They probably just want to have something in case something falls into their lap...
Old Sep 25, 2013, 12:10 pm

Programs: US Airways, Silver United, Gold Hilton, Platinum Marriott, Gold SPG
I still don't get it, what abuse are they talking about, or is it just a blanket statement?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.