Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Georgetown - Washington D.C. [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Georgetown - Washington D.C. [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2006, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Arrow Westin Georgetown - Washington D.C. [Master Thread]

OK, y'all please don't start yelling at me for not doing a search....

I actually did a search and only found posts back in 2003. There was one in early 2004 but the post diverted to people arguing (Why does this always happen?). I even bumped that thread up a few weeks ago but no one responded

Anyway, so I was wondering if anyone had stayed there recently and would care to share the experience? I know everyone keeps saying Westin Embassey is better but I really prefer modern Westins over classic Westins

Also, what's the parking situation like around the area on weekends? I don't feel like hopping on the amtrak from BWI nor do I want to pay the $35 shuttle fee so I'm thinking about renting a car. I know there's a self-park garage around there. Does anyone know how much and how about street parking on weekends?

I called the hotel and someone from Service Express answered and told me parking is $28 a night with in N out then she just hung up. She was rude! I hope that's not a sign...... I am assuming she was referring to Valet?
Old Jan 13, 2006, 8:59 pm

Programs: Used to be elite in UA, SPG and Hertz...now I'm just a regular guy
If you will be driving around town and not parking the car during the day, I might take a chance with on-street parking. Overnight parking on the street shouldn't be a problem. I've never left the car on the street during the day, however, so I don't know if you have to feed meters on Saturdays around there. The valet isn't worth it. The garage is right around the corner. You could go get it quicker than the valet does.

That being said, I like the Grand. The rooms are small but comfortable. The bathrooms are great, with a separate tub and shower (though not as great as they used to be...they used to have unbelievable shower heads with hurricane force water pressure, but no more). Decent gym facilities.

Don't expect a suite upgrade. I've never gotten one there in all these years. But, it's a fine place to stay. Feels very classy, to me.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well, I just came back from this property

Score of 1-10 (10 being the best), this hotel deserves a 6.

The lobby was small and not "grand" at all. In fact, I've seen "grander" four points lobbies.

Check in agent was UGH: did not recognize my platinum status, no amenities offered until I asked, no confirmation of my room type.

I asked for an upgrade---no success since I got there too late but I thought I'd try. I did, however, decided to take the Workout room instead since I'd never stayed in one of those. Before accepting the room, I asked her if it was a king size room and she confirmed. It turned out to be a queen I was tired, I didn't want to deal with switching

The room was not spacious but also not incredibly small. The bathroom was huge with a nice soaking tub and separate shower. However, this hotel looked like it'd been around for a while. As a matter of fact, it just occurred to me that I actually stayed at this property 11 years ago --ooooold

Anyway, I didn't take pictures because nothing was worth being in my camera. It was just a standard hotel room.

I was told that all workout rooms were located on the 2nd floor (understandable). So, she put me in a room facing the courtyard 225. I looked at my original folder and they had assigned me to 625 so I assumed it's the same location but higher. Now, normally, the rooms facing the courtyard would be considered the sh*ttiest of them all, so it kind of made me wonder if they had pre-blocked me into a sh*tty room to begin with It did, however, turn out to be the best location because it was so quiet I couldn't hear any noises. Facing the street wouldn't have been good because there were cars driving at all times. Besides, it's not like this hotel offered any view.

Bottom line, I wouldn't pay my rate of $119 to stay here again. I wouldn't even pay $99. I think it's rediculous that this hotel is a category 4. The only good thing about the hotel is that it is basically next to Georgetown, which I love. There were also a lot of street parking available at all times for FREE (was there on a weekend).

I would stay elsewhere in Arlington or Baltimore area then drive into DC. All the spg hotels are about the same around there but there are some category 2 and 3's in Arlington and Baltimore and you would be able to stay with only 3000-7000 starpoints, which is worth so much more than paying 119 for this place.

I just want to say that this hotel is not a bad hotel, but I think I've been spoiled by many outstanding Westins: NY Times Square, Boston Copley, etc that this Westin just falls far behind

Last edited by BlissWorld; Jan 16, 2006 at 9:16 am
Old Jan 16, 2006, 11:35 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
I have only been once (!!) and was given a large corner suit as an upgrade.
Old Jan 20, 2006, 2:00 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, United Premier Executive
I actually park at the Westin Grand sometimes because my office is a block away. Since it is $13 for 12 hours, I imagine $25 or so a day is about right. As for street parking, the neighborhood is very safe but a tad desolate on weekends and evenings. You should be able to find street parking on a weekend if you are willing to walk a few blocks. There is also massive construction going on across the street from the Westin, which limits street parking right next to the hotel.
Old May 31, 2006, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Marriott Plat
Stayed here this 2006 Memorial Day weekend.

Valet, which we used because of the rental, was billed at $25/night (but removed at check-out because I reminded them our rate included valet). Rate was $139/night (included valet). No upgrade or other PLAT perk.

Fairmont across the street (had buffet breakfast there). Park Hyatt being built on the other adjacent corner. Clean, simple, large bathroom, small bedroom. Doesn't strike me as a Westin, anyone know if it was converted from something else? Just very plain by Westin standards and missing some of the colors/furniture. Room furniture reminded me of a Renaissance by Marriott.

Good location - close to Metro stop and Georgetown.
Old May 31, 2006, 7:45 pm

Programs: DL GM
stayed there May 3-7

I actually thought it was pretty good. The rates were half of what the Fairmont accross the street was charging, the location was good, close enough for the metro and close to Georgetown. The parking (valet) is about $25 . Overall, I had a large room and great, helpful service, at a reasonable price.
Old May 31, 2006, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Gold
Stayed there in mid-April and was terribly disappointed. I think the room made me sick.
Old Jun 3, 2006, 7:05 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
My partner just stayed and he said that there were no issues whatsoever - did not find the hotel or the rooms run down. In addition, he said that the bathrooms are enormous with full seperate shower and tub in even the standard rooms...
Old Jan 4, 2007, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Trip Report -- Jan 2007

Just spent 2 nights @ Westin Grand. My 2nd visit in a year, so I'm not a regular or anything.

Great checkin experience. We appeared at 10am on Jan. 1 to drop off our luggage -- hungover people in party clothes were still leaving! The desk called me by name, told me our rooms were blocked for us, but that only the smaller one was ready then - said the suite was being held for late checkout by the PLT who was there from NYE. Took our luggage, offered amenities, etc.

We had 2 rooms for 5 of us; one was booked as a suite and I was specifically told by phone that it was 2 separate rooms with a door. Well, guess what: WRONG. But the desk told me the house was full (Ford funeral), so I'm guessing I got screwed for a VIP.

Room 510 (which, according to the fire safety plan floor map, is the largest room on the floor) is an insult to a "suite". It is VERY large room; standard Westin bed (terrific - worth 3 out of 10 points right there). Adjacent pantry - not usable unless you're using the room for entertaining. However, the bathroom is tiny: toilet bowl is behind the door, and the room only has a stall shower -- no tub. Rundown condition - lots of missing & dirty caulk.

The other room, 539, was a standard 2-queens. The bathroom has a nice soaking tub (I remember them from my first visit there). No sofa - but some trendy chairs that were uncomfortably low for a senior citizen and blocked the dresser. Basic issue.

I told the desk clerk @ checkout that I thought that calling 510 a suite was false advertising. They gave me 500 points even though I didn't demand compensation.

Parking in the neighborhood wasn't too tough to find -- around the corner on N @ 24th. Meters, $1/hr. Not much nearby at night - Georgetown is a 10-15 minute walk. Next time, I'll try somewhere else.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 8:43 pm

Programs: US Plat, SPG Plat
I like the westin grand. I stayed there four times in october/november. I thought the people were friendly and I got upgraded to a large corner room once (as gold!). the door people are super friendly and once when it was raining, he gave me his umbrella to take to my meeting and back.

I would stay at the westin grand anyday than the sheraton baltimore at the harbor.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 9:06 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I agree that $119 is a great rate for this hotel. The rooms are modern (but small) and bathrooms beautiful. I share the experience with several posters of rare upgrades, rare recognition of Platinum status, and mediocre service overall, although that seems typical of mid-level hotels in D.C.

I can't think of any reason to recommend the Embassy Row over this property, except the larger (but old) rooms. The service there was no better. (I have stayed at each a handful of times.)

It is in a great location. There is no reason to eat at the hotel, but you are not only on Georgetown's doorstep, but within a few-block radius of countless of D.C.'s best restaurants.

On weekends you should be able to find street parking nearby.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I posted this last year. Since then, I have stayed at other DC hotels. All I can say is stay at Westin Arlington Gateway. It is only a 15 min metro ride away from DC in Arlington. Take a look at my review: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...stin+arlington

I think DC SPG properties actually offered pretty low rates in 2006. As we have seen on this board, Westin Embassey Row offered $99 Ambassador suite rate WITH breakfast while Westin Arlington Gateway offered $89 per night rate in 2006. So, I still wouldn't pay $119 for this place.

Last edited by BlissWorld; Jan 5, 2007 at 9:17 am
Old Jan 28, 2007, 7:06 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mecabq
I agree that $119 is a great rate for this hotel. The rooms are modern (but small) and bathrooms beautiful. I share the experience with several posters of rare upgrades, rare recognition of Platinum status, and mediocre service overall, although that seems typical of mid-level hotels in D.C.

I can't think of any reason to recommend the Embassy Row over this property, except the larger (but old) rooms. The service there was no better. (I have stayed at each a handful of times.)

It is in a great location. There is no reason to eat at the hotel, but you are not only on Georgetown's doorstep, but within a few-block radius of countless of D.C.'s best restaurants.

On weekends you should be able to find street parking nearby.
I just returned from 2 nights at the Westin Grand and I was pleased by my stay. I would rate it better than the Westin Embassy property that I stayed at a couple of months ago. I was recognized as a Platinum upon checkin and asked if I wanted the 500 points (always a yes), and told I was upgraded to the Westin SPG floor. I asked if I had been upgraded to a Suite, and was told that there was not available.
The room (738) had a long entrance way as it was just around a corner and was moderate sized. It was maintained well, except that one of the heads on the shower did not work. I quick note to the front desk upon leaving the hotel resulted in the shower head working well the second morning. I did not receive any newspapers but there was a complimentary bottle of water in the room. Wakeup calls were timely and the Concierge provided me with a list of restaurants within walking distance in the neighborhood. I chose Vidalia, 3 books from the hotel, as I had recognized the chef and the restaurant as an award-winner, and was not dissapointed.
I arrived on one of the coldest nights of the year and yet the hotel lobby was warm and cozy. The room was a little warm for sleeping but I was able to quickly cool it down. Although I had a room that overlooked 23rd Street, I did not experience any street noise during the night.
Without a doubt, I would return to this property again. Needless to say I was aprehensive based on some of the reviews on this board, but this hotel worked for me.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 9:32 pm

Programs: *A Gold, Marriott Titanium
I've stayed in this hotel a couple of (unfortunate) times and have always found it to be a far cry from my preferred location in DC--Embassy Row--and always very noisy (even for a city hotel) due to nearby construction. I do what I can to avoid staying at this location. I'm an old hotel kind of guy and find the Embassy Row hotel to be a fascinating and storied place that always feels most like a home to me of all the hotels I stay in. Best PLT upgrade of my time with SPG came at the Embassy, too.

Also, I have to agree with the abuse of the word Grand in this hotel's name. It's far from it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.