Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Chengdu Ritz-Carlton - China [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2014, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador

This property deserves a thread so here we go. As you may know UA will start flying here shortly so sure this property will become a place of interest for lux travel. The Ritz-Carlton is the highest rated lux property in the city at this time. It intends to keep that title.

Made my reservation a couple months ago and set about contacting the property. Had many exchanges with property prior to my arrival. I did use the properties least expensive car service at CTU. Could easily have taken a cab but after a long day wanted no hassles as my friend did in December.

The property is solid and would not disappoint. In design and style very much like Hong Kong. The pics online accurately show the property and rooms/suites. Reception is on the upper floor and Club on 38. The fit and finish of the rooms/suites is exceptional. Something I was not expecting in inland China. The Club lounge staff is very good and always happy to make and print out paperwork for outings. As a Club room guest you are allowed car service within the first ring.

The Club has several offerings with small dish meals being the plan. There is always a chef/cook available for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Open kitchen concept similar to Conrad Tokyo in the morning. Good wine selection and frig with Pepsi, Coke and Voss water. Bath amenity is Asprey believe made in China. Wifi and wired internet has been good. You are not in the most central location just off the mark. Told St Regis will open in area shortly.

The hoteliers I have met have been very professional. Certainly one of the most seasoned teams I can think of. Had lunch with a department head and the GM also stopped by to introduce himself. Very professional.

I did do the Panda thing so see FlyerTalk China forum for information. Tomorrow off to Wu Hou Shrine, Jinli Street, Wenshu Monastery and Kuan Zhai Alley. It would be very difficult to be disappointed with this property. English is certainly not a problem for staff. Enjoy!
Old Mar 8, 2014, 7:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the trip report. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
You are welcome. Found very little on the property.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 8:54 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's supposed to be an outstanding ethnography/anthropology type museum on the outskirts of Chengdu that opened about five years ago.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 11:51 am
Original Poster

As a closing note the property remains solid. Was directed to use ATM across the street from Hotel entrance. Did not work. Pretty amazing banks are open on Sunday with full services.

Made it to the four places on the list. Very good and well worthwhile. All being said this is probably the most comfortable, clean and tourist friendly city I have visited in China. Never ever felt uncomfortable. The city has it down pat with lots of energy and people seem happy. Sure this place will become ever more popular especially when UA starts flying here. That I guess can also ruin it. Compared to the Panda spot 99% plus of the people I saw yesterday were Chinese nationals. A good sign. Off to the next adventure.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Sure this place will become ever more popular especially when UA starts flying here.
One poor quality United flight three times a week won't make a huge difference to a cosmopolitan area of 14 million people.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by holtju2
One poor quality United flight three times a week won't make a huge difference to a cosmopolitan area of 14 million people.
I thought it was more frequent. Thank goodness for the people of Chengdu.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 4:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Thanks for the trip report. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Agreed - thanks, I have a stay here in about 5 weeks (as well as the new Renaissance) as BA started flying here as well in the past year. Still not certain if I want to pay the extra cash for a club room though, any thoughts on how worthwhile that could be (on my dates club room was around $100/30% more than a standard room with B&B).
Old Mar 9, 2014, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

RC to CTU

The Hotel arranged take away breakfast this morning. Very nice.

I took a cab from the Ritz Carlton to CTU. Have a domestic flight and wanted to leave adequate time to make flight. From the Hotel to T2 it was less than 30 minutes early morning. The flag drop was 71 RMB and there looked to be a toll of 7 RMB. Gave the driver 100. At terminal T2 the stands for Air China are at the very far end. First Class / Business Class is at the very start to the left. Check-in was very efficient and as nice as SQ or TG international First. If you are in First and yes in my case domestic you can use the First Class / handicap lane which is just in front as you exit the First Class check-in area. *G can also use this check-in area but not clear if they can use "Fast Track".

The security process was very quick and efficient. I was easily able to take on the roller bag and small side bag came over on Air China in First. As a precaution I kept on the cabin bag tag affixed earlier.

Once clearing security the Air China lounges are to the right up the elevator to level 4. The Gold lounge is to the left and First Class to the right. The First Class lounge is JUST AS NICE as any SQ or TG lounge domestic or international. I am pleasantly surprised. Upon entry your ticket will be checked. You will also be issued a slip of paper with a number on it to access wifi. Darn nice lounge!
Old Mar 12, 2014, 9:26 pm

We loved this property. CTU is a great launching base for Tibet. We'll definitely stay at the RC again. My wife totally enjoyed the wine dispenser in the club lounge
Old Mar 25, 2014, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE

Once clearing security the Air China lounges are to the right up the elevator to level 4. The Gold lounge is to the left and First Class to the right. The First Class lounge is JUST AS NICE as any SQ or TG lounge domestic or international. I am pleasantly surprised. Upon entry your ticket will be checked. You will also be issued a slip of paper with a number on it to access wifi. Darn nice lounge!
Glad I stumbled across this thread. I was just to post a question about any CA First lounge in CTU in the *Alliance forum. Found it in the MR forum. ^
Thanks for the nice report on the Ritz. May give it a try soon.
Just noticed the Ren is scheduled to open soon.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 7:17 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Ritz-Carlton, Chengdu [Master Thread]

The Ritz-Carlton, Chengdu, which opened last October, is a truly magnificent property and it's priced quite reasonably as well.

I stayed at the hotel after flying on United's Dreamliner launch to Chengdu and I fell in love with the property. I'll cover each aspect here briefly. Disclamer: I also wrote a review for Frequent Business Traveler and you can view pictures of the room and hotel as well as meals in the article and in the Virtual Tours on the magazine's website.

Room - standard rooms are quite large. Club Rooms (such as mine) as on one of the Club floors and there are numerous benefits for Club Room guests beyond the lounge (I'll come back to that in a minute) including 24-hour butler service, complimentary clothes pressing (up to three pieces per day), free use of a business center meeting room for an hour, and a complimentary car and driver to travel anywhere within the first ring of Chengdu.

The bedroom had a large walk-in closet and I was surprised to find shoe trees (not one pair, but two) sitting there. I think this was a first.

Club Lounge - five presentations, excellent food, a great view of the city, very cordial staff.

Dining - I had breakfast in the lounge but quickly walked through Spices to see what breakfast looked like. The masterpiece here is dinner at Li Xuan Chinese Restaurant. For drinks and light fare, Flair, the open-air bar atop the hotel, is fun. Despite jet lag my first night, I couldn't bear to leave.

Happy to answer any questions as best as I can. I was truly sorry to leave this property.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 12:22 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Did you book a club room or were you upgraded? And thanks for the quick review. Did you get to keep the panda?

Cheers.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 12:26 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Did you book a club room or were you upgraded? And thanks for the quick review. Did you get to keep the panda?

Cheers.
1.) Booked
2.) You are most welcome
3.) Yes but I had trouble with U.S. Customs bringing him in, just like I had trouble bringing the butler from Claridge's in last month.

(if you meant the edible panda, it was devoured early on, however)
Old Aug 13, 2014, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Thank you for the review! Might be staying here for Spachina.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.