Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Kansas City, MO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLAT, PC PLAT

I've found reviews of the Westin Crown Center but not for the Sheraton Crown Center, which I think recently converted from a Hyatt Regency.

Has anyone stayed at the Sheraton Crown Center? Has anyone stayed at both the Sheraton and the Westin Crown Center? If so, which did you prefer and why? What were the strengths of each hotel? I will soon have a 4 night stay (Mon-Fri) at one of these properties. Thanks!!!
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT; SPG PLT
I was at the Sheraton a few weeks ago. It was heavily under renovations. Lobby closed, front entrance closed, club lounge not built yet.

The rooms themselves are okay and at least the floor I was on appeared to be finished. Standard Sheraton fare if you've seen any other recently renovated Sheraton.

The staff was being trained (everyone had a supervisor hovering). Everyone was nice and enthusiastic.

I've not stayed at the Westin but have walked past/through numerous times on the way to Crown Center. Seems okay but a bit tired. At the time I booked, the Westin was nearly $80/night more and it didn't seem worth the premium.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLAT, PC PLAT
Thank you for your input! For my dates, the price is exactly the same. Given that, would you choose the "tired" Westin or the "recently renovated" but still under heavy renovations Sheraton?

As a Plat, do you know if they give any perks (free full breakfast?) to make up for the lack of club lounge?

Originally Posted by andreirublev
I was at the Sheraton a few weeks ago. It was heavily under renovations. Lobby closed, front entrance closed, club lounge not built yet.

The rooms themselves are okay and at least the floor I was on appeared to be finished. Standard Sheraton fare if you've seen any other recently renovated Sheraton.

The staff was being trained (everyone had a supervisor hovering). Everyone was nice and enthusiastic.

I've not stayed at the Westin but have walked past/through numerous times on the way to Crown Center. Seems okay but a bit tired. At the time I booked, the Westin was nearly $80/night more and it didn't seem worth the premium.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA PLT; SPG PLT
Originally Posted by carberrie
Thank you for your input! For my dates, the price is exactly the same. Given that, would you choose the "tired" Westin or the "recently renovated" but still under heavy renovations Sheraton?

As a Plat, do you know if they give any perks (free full breakfast?) to make up for the lack of club lounge?
I'm only GLD, so I don't know about breakfast coupons. Also I didn't try the restaurant as I had to be out early in the morning.

It's a tough call on the same price... The construction at the Sheraton wasn't a problem as far as stirring up dust and making noise, but there were basically no amenities. I guess I'd say if you care more about restaurants, lobby bar, a club lounge (I think the Westin has an Executive Lounge) then go with the Westin; if you care more about new furnishings, a reception area that doesn't smell like mildew, go with the Sheraton.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 3:29 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
My impressions are the same as andreirublev's. The renos are
supposed to be done by now; meanwhile, plats get 2 full
breakfast buffet coupons on request.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 8:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
I've stayed at the Sheraton extensively and the renovations are now almost done. The lobby is getting some finishing touches, and the lounge is now open - has some amazing views of downtown KC. The new gym is also open and much much better. The whole property is shaping up very nicely. I imagine the rates may be going up once the renovations are done, expected to be done by the end of the month.

I've always been treated very well at the Sheraton, fantastic upgrades, staff on top of everything. Never stayed at the Westin - walked through several times, very tired old property.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:55 am

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Wow, I always wondered why it took that Hyatt so long to reflag after this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyatt_R...lkway_collapse

Would have thought for simple branding they would have wanted to change years ago.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by ceamus1
I've stayed at the Sheraton extensively and the renovations are now almost done. The lobby is getting some finishing touches, and the lounge is now open - has some amazing views of downtown KC. The new gym is also open and much much better. The whole property is shaping up very nicely. I imagine the rates may be going up once the renovations are done, expected to be done by the end of the month.

I've always been treated very well at the Sheraton, fantastic upgrades, staff on top of everything. Never stayed at the Westin - walked through several times, very tired old property.
The gym is much better at the Sheraton? Really? Because the Westin Crown Center has on of the the best gyms of any hotel I've stayed at, much better than Aloft-Leawood, or the Sheraton Country Club Plaza in KC. It's actually the reason why I prefer that over the others, so if the new Sheraton is even better....
Old Aug 14, 2012, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by dark567
The gym is much better at the Sheraton? Really? Because the Westin Crown Center has on of the the best gyms of any hotel I've stayed at, much better than Aloft-Leawood, or the Sheraton Country Club Plaza in KC. It's actually the reason why I prefer that over the others, so if the new Sheraton is even better....
Much much better than the temp gym they had during renovations. Very spacious. Worth a look.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by vandalby
Wow, I always wondered why it took that Hyatt so long to reflag after this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyatt_R...lkway_collapse

Would have thought for simple branding they would have wanted to change years ago.
They renamed the hotel - from Hyatt Regency Kansas City to Hyatt Regency Crown Center - a few years after the disaster. At this point, 30 years later, I'm sure almost nobody among the traveling public remembers it and the change form Hyatt to Sheraton certainly had nothing to do with it.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:21 am

Just stayed at both properties. The Sheraton Crown Center is far superior in every way. I got a suite upgrade at the westin as a plat and just a club room at the sheraton, but it is far superior. The westin is a dump. The club lounge is terrible. The Sheraton club lounge is exceptional in every way. Great service, amazing view and decent snacks in the evening.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:46 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
I've not stayed at Sheraton Crown Center but I can tell you that The Westin Crown Center is very uninspiring!
Old Sep 19, 2014, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by superdrew
Just stayed at both properties. The Sheraton Crown Center is far superior in every way. I got a suite upgrade at the westin as a plat and just a club room at the sheraton, but it is far superior. The westin is a dump. The club lounge is terrible. The Sheraton club lounge is exceptional in every way. Great service, amazing view and decent snacks in the evening.
While the Sheraton did have some odd aspects (2 or three elevators from guest room to Lounge; hand-painted elevator markings; some dated things), I did like the service and the hotel overall. (I didn't stay at the Westin, though I did take the public pathway through...and I peeked at the fitness center.) The Sheraton Lounge does have great service and views. Watch for some odd opening hours - Sunday evening service ended at something like 5:00PM.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 10:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Can anyone comment on the Platinum breakfasts at either Sheraton or Westin?
Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Songer5
Can anyone comment on the Platinum breakfasts at either Sheraton or Westin?
Sheraton had a very basic breakfast in the lounge. Nice view.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.