Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Miami Airport Hotel & Executive Meeting Center MIA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2010, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Lifetime Plat, AV Diamond

^^^

Thank you SPG!!! I've overnited at MIA soooo many times and Hilton points are worthless - thanks SPG for a MIA hotel!!!

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...ropertyID=3620

Old Nov 23, 2010, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
So the Wyndham is being re-flagged a Sheraton?

I probably wont ever stay here, but it's probably better than the Sheraton Miami Mart!
Old Nov 23, 2010, 2:48 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Category 2, quite a bit of recent renovation... might not be bad for certain situations.

I might give it a try the night before a cruise in January...

Last edited by Peatisback; Nov 24, 2010 at 8:06 am
Old Nov 23, 2010, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gimmedub
^^^

Thank you SPG!!! I've overnited at MIA soooo many times and Hilton points are worthless - thanks SPG for a MIA hotel!!!

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...ropertyID=3620

You must be overdosing on pumpkin pie.... ridiculous Hilton comments not withstanding.

This property has been a dump for some 25 years and the only way it could be even close or better than any of the half a dozen HH hotels nearby was to have blown it sky-high and rebuild.

Can you say CATEGORY 2???
Old Nov 23, 2010, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by newbluesea
You must be overdosing on pumpkin pie.... ridiculous Hilton comments not withstanding.

This property has been a dump for some 25 years and the only way it could be even close or better than any of the half a dozen HH hotels nearby was to have blown it sky-high and rebuild.

Can you say CATEGORY 2???
Its not Collins Ave or Bal Harbour

and when I need to stay by an Airport I want a place for the cheapest either $$ or Pts wise, since all I need it for is due to an early deaprting flight or arriving very late and no onward connections
Old Nov 23, 2010, 8:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by craz
Its not Collins Ave or Bal Harbour

and when I need to stay by an Airport I want a place for the cheapest either $$ or Pts wise, since all I need it for is due to an early deaprting flight or arriving very late and no onward connections
Who said it was Collins Ave (Bal Harbour is closed) .. hey stay where you want. My opinion is that the old Wyndam is a dump and even the two Hamptons nearby are far, far better.

Why the hell do think SPG classified it as Cat 2??? I know of no other cat 2 in Florida and none in the USA you could pay me to stay at.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 9:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by newbluesea
Who said it was Collins Ave (Bal Harbour is closed) .. hey stay where you want. My opinion is that the old Wyndam is a dump and even the two Hamptons nearby are far, far better.

Why the hell do think SPG classified it as Cat 2??? I know of no other cat 2 in Florida and none in the USA you could pay me to stay at.
Westin and 4P LAX are both Cat2s and deserve to be but they are perfect for when I need to be by LAX

Now if all they did was take down the Wyndham signs and put up a Sheraton sign thats 1 thing, but usually there will be some sort of renov going on

As for Hamptons most are at least 25k in HH pts a night I dont know any that I would use that many of my HH pts for its a Motel when all is said and done, and if this Sheraton is a Cat2 then its 4k & 3k and I earn back 500 pts as my Plat gift

So till the reports start to mount like for the MB 4P , Im willing to give it a try if I need to be in that locale
Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:46 am

It's a former Sheraton

This hotel was actually a Sheraton for many years before it became a Wyndham. I posted about this in the Wyndham thread. It was the Sheraton Gateway up till 1998, and before that for a long time it was the Sheraton River House, I think since it opened in the 1980s.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 1:27 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Nice to have a starwood alternative to Hilton now.

Although, it seems this property won't have an executive lounge and only has 6 suites, which may limit its attractiveness for Plats.

Interesting thing is this property switches over on the same day from Wyndham to Sheraton, seems it's really a case of taking the signs down and repainting the shuttle. They do mention having Sheraton Sweet sleeper beds, presumably these are probably brought in before the switch over date?
Old Nov 24, 2010, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have stayed here as a Wyndham- it is OK, however the nearby Marriott options (Courtyard etc) are nicer (unless this place has had a HUGE rennovation).
Old Nov 24, 2010, 8:08 am

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Has anyone stayed both before/after the renovation?
Old Nov 24, 2010, 8:09 am

Hotel will receive a substantial renovation and receive all Sheraton brand elements (Sheraton bedding, Link, Club Lounge, Core Performance gym, etc..)
Old Nov 24, 2010, 8:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Peatisback
Has anyone stayed both before/after the renovation?
Have you check the Wyndham forum? This property is not a Sheraton yet.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 6:07 pm

It is now Mr Formerly Cheap Elite.

any updates? I booked it for 1 night on a weekend night for the weekend promo bonus, but might change to something else if it's still terrible.

They did a full renovation, apparently. The pics look ok, there's a lounge. It's just one night on a MR.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Jan 6, 2011 at 6:14 pm
Old Jan 6, 2011, 6:11 pm

Programs: MS Plat, AOR ninja
Originally Posted by craz
Westin and 4P LAX are both Cat2s and deserve to be but they are perfect for when I need to be by LAX

Now if all they did was take down the Wyndham signs and put up a Sheraton sign thats 1 thing, but usually there will be some sort of renov going on

As for Hamptons most are at least 25k in HH pts a night I dont know any that I would use that many of my HH pts for its a Motel when all is said and done, and if this Sheraton is a Cat2 then its 4k & 3k and I earn back 500 pts as my Plat gift

So till the reports start to mount like for the MB 4P , Im willing to give it a try if I need to be in that locale
4P LAX is excellent for mattress runs!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.