Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2008, 4:21 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jabrams72
Hmmm, tempting and I'll do one order, but is there a chance of getting "done" for money laundering?
What would FinCEN do with this when giving money from yourself to yourself is not illegal? No problem likely unless the bank in which you deposit the money files a suspicious transaction report and/or they think your transaction is greater than $3000 or being broken up in amounts to avoid reporting requirements. Even then you can't be "done" if you have it documented what your source of funds was and where it was deposited. Federal prosecutors and courts wouldn't waste their time if they exercised even a wee bit of common sense especially when neither the source of funds is from illicit activity and when this is not being done for tax evasion or evasion of other reporting requirements.

A thousand miles for a thousand dollars per President? If you want to try for a million miles this way, I suspect that the bank might file some reports with say FinCEN and the IRS but it's not going to "do you in" ... but there may be some explaining to do.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 13, 2008 at 4:30 am
Old Jun 13, 2008, 6:18 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by soitgoes
That's not the point...circulate them?
Precisely. At this stage it appears only the JQ Adams coin is offered at face value. This program could end if the Mint sees that a high proportion of these are turned in at banks in their original wrappers.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikensf74
Anyone seing any other $1 coins avail for other than John Quincy Adams?
The next ones will be out mid-August; there are four releases per year:
http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/$1coin/index.cfm?flash=yes&action=schedule

Please remember that we--the taxpayers--are paying for this. I see this as something that can be beneficial to us in getting a small number of extra miles each year or reaching some CC spending threshholds and at the same time helping the Mint with its mandate to increase circulation of the dollar coin.

If these coins don't actually end up circulating, the Mint will likely cancel this program, as they should.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 6:50 am

OT completely

I have to ask... how often do people see $1 coins in the U.S? Will there ever be a day when the $1 note is phased out?
Old Jun 13, 2008, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
I have to ask... how often do people see $1 coins in the U.S?
Rarely, though I really don't expect that will change unless they stop circulating the $1 bill, which gets talked about, but not acted upon.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 7:12 am

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
Originally Posted by jabrams72
Hmmm, tempting and I'll do one order, but is there a chance of getting "done" for money laundering?
Money laundering involves taking undocumented monies (usually cash or cash equivalents) and making them documented (e.g. a check allegedly for for payment of some seemingly legitimate sale or service).

In this case you are doing the opposite.

You can draw attention to yourself if you appear to have a pattern of using up lots of cash do to a suspicion that it is being used for illegal purposes but strictly speaking, this is not money laundering.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 7:19 am

Programs: QF & NW Clubs. Will never buy another ticket on UA or US.
Originally Posted by cepheid
Hmm, only 200 boxes to get lifetime Gold on AA... who'll be the next PresidentialCoinGuy?
For AA earners - if you aren't Gold/Plat/ExPlat already then you will have to check your annual earning cap on your card.

People with CO and DL cards that offer EQM/MQM's could also use this to earn towards lifetime status.

The new VS Black Card would allow you to earn Silver Status (Annual) with 100 boxes purchased).

(Assuming they take Amex but since someone mentioned the Starwood card I assume they do).

Can anyone confirm that these charges were actually processed as a purchase rather than a cash advance?
Old Jun 13, 2008, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by soitgoes
Rarely, though I really don't expect that will change unless they stop circulating the $1 bill, which gets talked about, but not acted upon.
Carter did it, and Reagan reversed it (Susan B Anthony $1)
Clinton did it, and Bush reversed it (Sacagawea $1)

This time is odd since the new $1 have come in under Bush.

Plus - there is a lot of pressure from the Federal Reserve to get rid of the $1 notes since they cost too much to produce, don't last very long, and allow too much cheap currency paper on the market that gets used to make counterfeit $20's etc.

I do use $1 coins and $2 notes on the odd times that I use cash (well, some of the time).
Old Jun 13, 2008, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by cepheid
Hmm, only 200 boxes to get lifetime Gold on AA... who'll be the next PresidentialCoinGuy?
You're talking about a million coins. How many of these commemorative coins do they mint anyway?

The idea of annoying my bank for lucrative miles/points/cashback seems a little unappealing.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Andrew, these are your theories, right? Because they seem to have little relationship to reality or history. Neither Carter nor Clinton phased out or were about phase out the $1 bill, it should also be noted that previous to the Susan B coin there was the IKE coin.

They cost to much to produce is a relative term/idea. They cost next to nothing to produce, but their life is short. A coin effectively lasts forever,costs more to produce, but "saves" money over time (at least that is the idea). Regarding your ideas about the paper. This was maybe a valid concern 10-15 YEARS ago, however since that time all sorts of measures have been taken and bits added to different denominations to make such a thing impossible.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by hfly
Andrew, these are your theories, right? Because they seem to have little relationship to reality or history. Neither Carter nor Clinton phased out or were about phase out the $1 bill, it should also be noted that previous to the Susan B coin there was the IKE coin.
I was almost certain that the dollar bill had been phased out in the past but now I look for it, I find that although that was part of the various (pre-presidential) $1 Coin congressional bills - it may never have happened. I know it was congresses intent at the time.

I do remember Bush campaigning to defend/restore the $1 Bill though so at least the politicians made it appear that the $1 Bill was or was soon to be history.

They cost to much to produce is a relative term/idea. They cost next to nothing to produce, but their life is short. A coin effectively lasts forever,costs more to produce, but "saves" money over time (at least that is the idea).
According to http://www.cbo.gov/doc.cfm?index=5499&type=0 the cost to produce a $1 note is 3.8cents while a coin costs 8cents. If you take the average lifespan into account. It costs 2.5 cents per year for a $1 Bill but only 0.27 cents for a coin.

Regarding your ideas about the paper. This was maybe a valid concern 10-15 YEARS ago, however since that time all sorts of measures have been taken and bits added to different denominations to make such a thing impossible.
I know that is why the new 'colored' notes were introduced however, until the old notes are invalidated, this is still an issue. Obviously, very close inspection will reveal these counterfeits buy casual use won't as they 'feel' right.

Of course the US could keep bills but solve the other problems by switching to Polymer notes like many other countries (inc. Australia and some Mexican notes) - they last for ages, are very damage resistant, can't be counterfeited, and of course, are still notes so don't freak people out about tipping etc.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 9:20 am

Programs: UA and HH
Originally Posted by MKEbound
I like to use dollar coins for tips ^
My dad gave a few of these dollar coins to a cab driver in Las Vegas last month and they guy thought they were quarters. He said sir, why dont you just take these, play them in the slot machine and if you win give someone a decent tip. My dad walked up to him and took them back and said actually these are dollar coins so thats a $5 tip you just gave up. They guy got back in his car and drove off as Im sure he felt really stupid and embarrased.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 9:22 am

Thanks for answering the question.

Parking is .25 cents per 4-5 minutes in some area of San Francisco now, these dollar coins will work well.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 9:41 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by VPescado
Money laundering involves taking undocumented monies (usually cash or cash equivalents) and making them documented (e.g. a check allegedly for for payment of some seemingly legitimate sale or service).

In this case you are doing the opposite.

You can draw attention to yourself if you appear to have a pattern of using up lots of cash do to a suspicion that it is being used for illegal purposes but strictly speaking, this is not money laundering.
I suspect that the OP was not referring to illegal money laundering but perhaps activity that your CC company or FF program might frown upon. However, I would think that transation fees and sale of miles would still be a net plus for them.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 9:53 am

Product to be available June 28th. (I previously wrote "backordered to July 15th.")

Maybe the demand on this coin will help strengthen the dollar.

Edited to add:
  • Orders are not valid until accepted by the United States Mint.
  • The United States Mint reserves the right to limit quantities and may discontinue accepting orders at any time.
  • The United States Mint reserves the right to accept or reject coin orders in any combination or option(s) it determines to be in its best interest.
  • In the event a particular coin option is sold out, the United States Mint reserves the right to either process partial orders and make refunds, or return orders in their entirety.
  • Bags of 500 coins or greater will be charged $7.95 per bag plus the appropriate shipping fee of Standard or International Shipping. Expedited Shipping is not available for International orders.

(I assume this is literally a "box" not a "bag" of coins.)

Last edited by rrgg; Jun 13, 2008 at 10:33 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.