Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cash Advances

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Cash Advances

Good chance this is a stupid question, but on which kind of debit cards can you get cash advances from? I suppose MVD is one that everyone knows about where you can liquidate the card without an ATM, but what are some others?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:29 am

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Diamond; CCarlson Elite
I get easy cash advance from PayPower at my credit union. Got $500 just yesterday. I think $500/day is the limit.....
Old Feb 21, 2013, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by kcblakely
I get easy cash advance from PayPower at my credit union. Got $500 just yesterday. I think $500/day is the limit.....
Did they (the credit union) charge you a fee?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Diamond; CCarlson Elite
Originally Posted by Unitedsux
Nope. No fee. Navy Federal.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by Unitedsux
If they display the Visa logo or issue any Visa-branded debit cards, they can't, or else they're violating their agreement with Visa. http://paygov.us/pdf/usaVisa.pdf
Old Feb 23, 2013, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by bppcomplete
If they display the Visa logo or issue any Visa-branded debit cards, they can't, or else they're violating their agreement with Visa. http://paygov.us/pdf/usaVisa.pdf
Since that is a several hundred page document, others may want to know that this is the provision at issue (on page 266).

4.12.C Restrictions
A Visa Prepaid Card must not be redeemed for cash by a Merchant accepting the Visa Prepaid Card.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
A credit union isn't a merchant.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by LAX88
Since that is a several hundred page document, others may want to know that this is the provision at issue (on page 266).
That restriction doesn't say anything. It says that the merchant cannot redeem the visa prepaid. you said you did redeem it so the merchant is wrong
Old Feb 24, 2013, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Michael Belisle
That restriction doesn't say anything. It says that the merchant cannot redeem the visa prepaid.
Your interpretation is incorrect. It clearly anticipates any kind of redemption for cash--not merely one in which the merchant elects to cash out, i.e., essentially just return the card at face value.

A merchant is:

An entity that contracts with an Acquirer to originate Transactions and that displays an Acceptance Mark that is a Visa-Owned Mark.
Explain to me why a credit union doesn't fit this description?

Last edited by LAX88; Feb 24, 2013 at 2:42 pm
Old Feb 24, 2013, 2:36 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
i called CSP CS and they said cant lower the cash advance limit to $0 its locked at 20%....
Old Feb 25, 2013, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by LAX88
No, the relevant section is 4.6.A.

Each Member authorized to provide Cash Disbursements in the Visa U.S.A. Inc. Certificate of
Incorporation and Bylaws, Section 2.04, must make Manual Cash Disbursements to other
Issuers’ Visa Cardholders. This includes, but is not limited to, valid Visa Payroll Cards and
Visa Prepaid Cards with an unembossed Cardholder name.
A credit union doesn't fit the description of a Merchant because it does not contract with an Acquirer (i.e., they do not have a "Merchant Agreement"). Most banks and credit unions are an Acquirer by the definition of Acquirer:

A Member, as specified in the Visa U.S.A. Inc. Certificate of Incorporation and Bylaws,
Section 2.04, that signs a Merchant or disburses currency to a Cardholder in a Cash
Disbursement, and directly or indirectly enters the resulting Transaction Receipt into
Interchange.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 9:24 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by caGALINDO
i called CSP CS and they said cant lower the cash advance limit to $0 its locked at 20%....
Is this only true for CSP? I've heard of other cards having CA sent to zero, no?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.