Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX specific MS/meet minimum spending

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2016, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SW, AS, UA, AA, Delta, Hilton, Hyatt, Club Carlson, SPG, IHG, Choice
AMEX specific MS/meet minimum spending

There are some methods to use visa/MC for MS/meet minimum spending but very less options with AMEX.
Is there a list of options that works with AMEX?
Old Sep 14, 2016, 4:59 pm

are you talking about GCs or CCs?

if CC, should be the same for visa/mc/amex. The limitation is if the merchant accepts visa/mc/amex.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 8:21 am

considering the clawback that's ongoing related to meeting min spend on select @mex cards, I think it's a safe bet to avoid any/all forms of MS just to meet minimum spend since there is a huge possibility of new accounts being manually reviewed for any MS activity. If, they suspect the min spend was met with any form of MS activity, they reserve the right to enforce their terms. the only way to avoid clawbacks would be organic spend w/o counting amex sync offers with credits that can be interpreted as returns. If by chance, one's rewards are still frozen, they can always turn to CFPB for assistance knowing they followed the T&C.

IMO, we should know that any MS activity to meet min spend using their card(s) is taking a huge risk. sometimes we win, at times we lose.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 8:37 am

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by Mamibear
considering the clawback that's ongoing related to meeting min spend on select @mex cards, I think it's a safe bet to avoid any/all forms of MS just to meet minimum spend since there is a huge possibility of new accounts being manually reviewed for any MS activity. If, they suspect the min spend was met with any form of MS activity, they reserve the right to enforce their terms. the only way to avoid clawbacks would be organic spend w/o counting amex sync offers with credits that can be interpreted as returns. If by chance, one's rewards are still frozen, they can always turn to CFPB for assistance knowing they followed the T&C.

IMO, we should know that any MS activity to meet min spend using their card(s) is taking a huge risk. sometimes we win, at times we lose.
This.

The game has changed in major ways. No more easy pickins'.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 11:05 am

Programs: All of them to one degree or another

Absolutely. MS after the min spend points have posted.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 10:48 pm

If I can't hit min spend in one transaction then I've done something wrong.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 11:06 am

I've got a question about my Delta Reserve @mex....would Simon gift cards count toward the annual spend bonus? I need to generate ~4k more spend than what I'm already projecting to do this year to hit the 30k spend bonus (15k MQM). The terms and conditions say no cash advance or cash equivalents for sign up bonus, so should this work for me to hit my 30k annual spend?

I can MS and see the transaction on my statement all fine and dandy, but I don't think there is any way of knowing if @mex is counting it toward that spend threshold or not. Any insight would be great.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Seat10B
I've got a question about my Delta Reserve @mex....would Simon gift cards count toward the annual spend bonus? I need to generate ~4k more spend than what I'm already projecting to do this year to hit the 30k spend bonus (15k MQM). The terms and conditions say no cash advance or cash equivalents for sign up bonus, so should this work for me to hit my 30k annual spend?

I can MS and see the transaction on my statement all fine and dandy, but I don't think there is any way of knowing if @mex is counting it toward that spend threshold or not. Any insight would be great.
Yes, it will work. Simon mall VGCs have always been counted as regular purchases for me on a wide variety of AmEx cards... and I've done a lot of Simon MS with them.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 8:32 pm

Is there any way to tell whether AMEX will get the detailed info from a transaction or not? It's easy to tell if the min spend was met with MS if there're transactions in multiples of $50X.95, but if you go to a grocery store 1-2 times a week and pick up a $100-$200 Visa GC with your purchase it's not as obvious. I do know that on my AMEX statement purchases from Staples sometimes explicitly list what I got, but I don't know if other merchants provide the same level of info.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by DiMAn0684
Is there any way to tell whether AMEX will get the detailed info from a transaction or not? It's easy to tell if the min spend was met with MS if there're transactions in multiples of $50X.95, but if you go to a grocery store 1-2 times a week and pick up a $100-$200 Visa GC with your purchase it's not as obvious. I do know that on my AMEX statement purchases from Staples sometimes explicitly list what I got, but I don't know if other merchants provide the same level of info.
I've never personally seen the more detailed info on AMEX for anything other than Staples. Not sure why they're so special, as everyone likes to give this example, but I've never heard one from another retailer.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 9:18 am

Has Amex traditionally (i.e., ignoring the recent clawbacks) cared more about MS on their charge cards compared to their credit cards, or vice-versa?
Old Oct 11, 2016, 9:20 pm

Programs: Several dozen
My experience has been that AMEX is more concerned over MS on their biz cards than their personal cards.

Originally Posted by kleingordon
Has Amex traditionally (i.e., ignoring the recent clawbacks) cared more about MS on their charge cards compared to their credit cards, or vice-versa?
Old Oct 14, 2016, 12:18 am

simon mall should be fine
Old Oct 14, 2016, 3:55 am

Will paying rent with plastiq count as MS? I can't meet the spend requirements on the Amex Plat Bus unless I can also pay my monthly $3200 rent
Old Oct 15, 2016, 1:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by babypuwet
Will paying rent with plastiq count as MS? I can't meet the spend requirements on the Amex Plat Bus unless I can also pay my monthly $3200 rent
No, that's real spend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.