Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2017, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Curve card is a "debit" card or "spend" card that you can use at stores and where you can use debit card for purchases. It is not funded by the bank with cash deposit, but funded by a collection of other debit cards and credit cards. You can't withdraw cash from ATM since it is not backed by the bank.

It carries MasterCard logo and can be used anywhere MasterCard is accepted.

Curve Card is offered in the United Kingdom and selected European countries. Not currently available in the US.
Print Wikipost

curve card changes.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2016, 7:20 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by Chokkoubin
Thanks Raffles for the reassurance. I was just about to order a card myself and the worry about Amex gave me pause for thought.

Slightly OT but do you have any suggestions on whether the £75 card is worth the extra over the £35 one?
1) discussions with amex are happening
2) Website is siting ready to make an announcement
3) They have already planned for a refund policy / alternative arrangement.

Unfortunately, it sounds like the current amex/curve tie-up is far from secure, which is the headline feature of the card for many.

Last edited by tangey; Apr 19, 2016 at 7:26 am
Old Apr 19, 2016, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Chokkoubin
Thanks Raffles for the reassurance. I was just about to order a card myself and the worry about Amex gave me pause for thought.

Slightly OT but do you have any suggestions on whether the £75 card is worth the extra over the £35 one?
I would stick with £35. Should their loyalty programme prove to be so fantastic that you regret now getting the higher earnings rate that comes with the £75 card, I'm pretty sure there would be a path to upgrade.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 8:53 am

Thanks Raffles. Let's see how this pans out in the future.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA, Emirates, IHG, Accor, Marriott, Hilton
I have used my Curve 3 times today in Dublin linked to my Amex and all working fine. Have used it a total of 10 times since Friday on 2 different Amex cards.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 5:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by parklife
I have used my Curve 3 times today in Dublin linked to my Amex and all working fine. Have used it a total of 10 times since Friday on 2 different Amex cards.
Atleast it doesn't seem to suffer from the timeout issue (where it couldnt authorise the source card in time and the supercard would decline) that the Supercard has.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
OK, this is where I was told things are.

The message that appeared online briefly was a mistake.

Should the Amex deal fall away, there is a strategy in place which will ensure that no-one who has ordered a card is out of pocket.

There is certainly nothing to worry about if you have a card on order.
Do you believe what you were told? It doesn't seem to stack up to me, and I fear you're being spun a line to stop your referrals cancelling their cards for a refund. Do you have a view on your referral numbers? 5000 customers cancelling before shipping would cost them, say, 300k depending on the split between the basic card and the one with super loyalty points.

I have business continuity plans in place for all sorts of eventualities that could affect my business, but I don't have text that can be published accidentally to my website. There must be something going on between Curve and Amex for this to have been drafted, surely?

If Amex don't pull out, their cards are going to be heavily used to manufacture spend by people pretending to be businesses encouraged by forums and blogs. The published spending limits are going to a massive Avios generator for people who don't regularly fly.

If Amex do pull out, then Curve will have been totally outmaneuvered by rivals such as Mondo. Mondo has never offered Amex, but is better funded, offers cards to customers without a £35 fee, and has 10 times the customers Curve has (so has better income). Mondo is cheaper too (as it doesn't have the 1% fee for foreign transactions) and gets better reviews for its innovative app.

I just don't see how Curve survives against such rivals - there's many more than just Mondo in this space. It's interesting to see Curve are having to pay out £20 in cash for referrals, whereas Mondo are getting more traction without having to pay. Without these cash handouts and Amex, no-one would recommend Curve over its rivals.

So if Amex do pull their support soon, Curve will have a load of dissatisfied customers and a large bill for Tumi wallets. If their customers don't use the cards as they can't use their Amex, then Curve's income is sharply cut. Curve must have spent most, if not all, of the money paid upfront for cards - where is the cash going to come from to refund customers?

The signs are that if Amex do pull out, then Curve could collapse and its customers are out of luck if they need a refund. That's a big 'if' - but it's strange that they haven't answered any questions on this publically over Twitter for such a hip digital firm. Flyertalkers can afford to chuck £35 or £75 away on a punt that goes astray, but there's no way I would recommend regular bargain chasers keep their orders in at this stage until there's greater clarity on the situation.

Last edited by 710 77345; Apr 20, 2016 at 2:37 am
Old Apr 20, 2016, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by reclusive46
Atleast it doesn't seem to suffer from the timeout issue (where it couldnt authorise the source card in time and the supercard would decline) that the Supercard has.
I have only used my supercard abroad and had very few issues - probably only 2 or 3 declines.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 9:31 am
SLZ

Programs: HHonors Gold, M&M FT
Could someone help me with the differences between the Blue and Black card aside from cost and colour as it appears all benefits are the same or am I missing something?
Old Apr 20, 2016, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by SLZ
Could someone help me with the differences between the Blue and Black card aside from cost and colour as it appears all benefits are the same or am I missing something?
The black will earn double rewards in the Curve loyalty programme, but no idea what that will offer. I'd go for the blue as I am sure they will offer an upgrade path!
Old Apr 21, 2016, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by parklife
I have only used my supercard abroad and had very few issues - probably only 2 or 3 declines.
You mustn't use yours much then. I think the number of times mine declines is higher than the times it accepts.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by flashware
You mustn't use yours much then. I think the number of times mine declines is higher than the times it accepts.
Just summed them up and a total of 61 transactions so not too bad on the rejections.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by 710 77345
I have business continuity plans in place for all sorts of eventualities that could affect my business, but I don't have text that can be published accidentally to my website. There must be something going on between Curve and Amex for this to have been drafted, surely?
Is your business solely dependent on partnerships with 3 card networks?

Maybe they thought it prudent to have the PR department draft text for any of the 3 networks pulling out so they would have it ready to go if something goes awry. Maybe they don't have good enough Web admins to know what they are doing or maybe they don't communicate well enough and someone found newer versions of that page and pushed them to live with inadequate testing or the wrong settings or whatever.

There'should lots of ways this could have happened. I don't see why FTers should care what really happened. Techniques work until they don't. This one still works, so I wouldn't sweat it.

Last edited by Vvatts; Apr 21, 2016 at 5:57 am
Old Apr 21, 2016, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by Vvatts
Maybe they thought it prudent to have the PR department draft text for any of the 3 networks pulling out so they would have it ready to go if something goes awry. Maybe they don't haveven good enough Web admins to know what they are doing or maybe they don't communicate well enough and someone found newer versions of that page and pushed them to live with inadequate testing or the wrong settings or whatever.
Maybe. It's just strange that Raffles reported that Curve had informed him that they were negotiating with Amex to continue accepting the card, and a couple of hours later had him remove the comments. And Curve have all sorts of queries over Twitter that they've ignored on this Amex issue.

I quite agree that if you have your card, you should use it as much as you can and not sweat it.

If you haven't paid for your card and can't afford to lose the money if they go in to administration, then I would be sweating.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles
OK, this is where I was told things are.

Amex is working perfectly well with Curve as of now. Nothing changes. Feel free to put your card into ATM to test it!

The message that appeared online briefly was a mistake.

Should the Amex deal fall away, there is a strategy in place which will ensure that no-one who has ordered a card is out of pocket. You would be offered a refund or a favourable deal to keep your card (you would still get the ability to recharge ATM transactions to a Visa or MasterCard credit card as well as make transactions overseas with a 1% vs the standard 3% fee).

There is certainly nothing to worry about if you have a card on order.
Quoted for posterity. I hope you are right, otherwise there is serious egg going to happen. Shouldn't you also declare your vested interest btw?

"They know what I do. There are only taking 10,000 people in the first wave and a high % are from here."
(Raffles says: 3 March 2016 at 9:04 pm )

Last edited by Aus_Mal; Apr 21, 2016 at 3:31 pm
Old Apr 23, 2016, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by wantmymoneyback
Curve works with VISA and MasterCard. Unfortunately American Express has decided to stop Curve users being able to pay with their American Express cards via Curve. We're working on it, and hope we can change their minds soon.
Icon visa
I've heard that once the cards & wallets have been dispatched (and customers charged) Curve are going to roll back one of their features and put in a 2% fee for credit card ATM usage. Not sure what post-purchase refund options will be available if you've used your 'free wallet worth £60'. Clever sales approach to bundle that in with the £75 fee for the premium card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.