Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

New to Manufactured Spending? Start Here (2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This wiki is to an old thread and is no longer current and is no longer being maintained and/or updated.

Note: the 2015 version of the thread is here: New to Manufactured spending? Start Here(2015)

The 2017 discussion is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1812407-new-manufactured-spending-start-here-2017-a.html#post27694982

Welcome to Manufactured Spending. If you are new here, please spend some time reading before posting. Most likely your questions have already been answered multiple times. Consider deals that you share. These threads are searchable by Google. A volatile deal may be worth holding close to the vest.

Hints

1) On FT, topics are heavily consolidated. Sometimes the title of the thread and first few posts may not properly reflect the broad range of discussion inside the thread. Be sure to visit any thread relating to the product or service you want to learn more about because you might be surprised by how in depth the discussion really is. High "View Count" and "Replies" are good indicators of active "master threads" on a specific topic.

2) Use Google to search FT. It works a lot better than the built-in search.

Important Rules

1) MSing is very YMMV. It varies by store, manager, and right down to the cashier working at the moment. That being said, always be nice and courteous in the face of rejection. The biggest secret for success is to lay low so you can try again.

2) DO NOT spend more than you can afford. START WITH SMALL AMOUNTS TO TEST THE WATER! As an example.. don't start with a $5000 purchase of VGCs if you can't afford to float that much! Instead, buy one and try it, and scale up once you are comfortable with a new method. It's easy to lose track, or get robbed, when you are handling so much money. Getting a refund is NOT always possible.

3) DO NOT ask employees, cashiers, customer service representatives, etc... about how to MS, or about things you read on this forum. The information you read here are very specific, unknown, legal uses of products or services. Most employees, cashiers, and even managers do not know about them. At best you'll get bad information. At worst you'll create a lot of unnecessary misunderstanding.

4) It bears repeating that there are no guarantees. you could easily buy $10,000 in gift cards or some other instrument, only to discover that your method for liquidating them vanishes the very next day. MS is not "normal" financial activity ("normal" being defined by the banks), and thus is often perceived as "suspicious" even if it is legal.

5) never underestimate the risk of criminal activity. gift cards can easily be stolen, loaded onto a compromised account, loaded in a debit card skimmer, or even fraudulent (e.g., an already used card put back on the rack).

If you have a question that does not seem to fit anywhere, or you have not found an appropriate place for it, post it here.

- A helpful note from seat17D about some of the inherent risks of MS
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2016, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DeaconY
What do you plan on doing with the cash once you withdraw it?
Deposit it into a checking account?
Old Jan 1, 2016, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by rasgueado
Its easiser to just bill pay.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 5:14 pm

MS - few questions

Hey guys I'm new and I've read a lot but when I come onto this forum it's tens to hundreds of pages to impossibly go through. Here is my question...

My way of MS on my new card is loading my serve card with Simon mall visa gift cards however the limit on loading a serve card is $5K a month. I want to apply for a few cards and MS til my face falls off (Read: I don't want to apply for 1 card a month)

Any thoughts, tips, advice? Sorry if this is repeated. It's just hard to sift though everything.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Tray115
My way of MS on my new card is loading my serve card with Simon mall visa gift cards however the limit on loading a serve card is $5K a month. I want to apply for a few cards and MS til my face falls off (Read: I don't want to apply for 1 card a month)

Any thoughts, tips, advice? Sorry if this is repeated. It's just hard to sift though everything.
Huh? And yes, it's a lot of information to sift through. Begin sifting. It's how we all learned. Also there is a "New to MS, start here" thread at the top of this forum. Begin there.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lumangoy
Its easiser to just bill pay.
Agreed. And that's probably the best answer to ajhardee's question. But I think the cash option is at least viable.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tray115
Hey guys I'm new and I've read a lot but when I come onto this forum it's tens to hundreds of pages to impossibly go through. Here is my question...

Yes, sifting is a good idea, and yes, it's not entirely clear what your actual question is. But there's no harm in a bit of directed sifting, so if your question is about how to get past the $5000 limit, one thing you could look into is getting multiple Serve cards. But definitely make sure you've read your face off before doing any of this.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 8:04 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, WN A-List
You definitely don't want to go fast in this game and when you apply for cards you should do several in one day every 3+ months, not 1 per month. Lots of great resources on this topic.
Just curious if you are new to MS, where are you loading your Serve, Walmart?
Old Jan 1, 2016, 9:22 pm

Okay, I'm new and I've looked at 20 pages or so and I am confused.

I have access to a simon mall and wouldnt mind buying VGC from giftcardmall.

While I understand I can load up to 5k a month on serve, How does one MS when they have more than one CC they are trying to meet spending requirements for? I would have no problem maxing out my monthly limit and using my gift cards for money orders but it seems like everyone tip toes around money orders.

I apologize ahead of time bc I am sure this is a repeat question but I have been reading and cant seem to get any insight.

Thanks
Old Jan 2, 2016, 4:15 pm

Is there a glossary for all the acronyms used on this board. VGC is easy enough (virtual gift card), but there are a bunch I'm having trouble making heads or tails of.

Thank you in advance.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by kickerconspiracy
Is there a glossary for all the acronyms used on this board. VGC is easy enough (virtual gift card), but there are a bunch I'm having trouble making heads or tails of.

Thank you in advance.
And I always thought it stood for Visa or Vanilla Gift Card.

Click on the top of the page right side on Help. One of the choices in the drop down is Glossary.

Good luck.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 7:25 pm

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Why bother with that extra step? You can bill pay directly from the serve account just like any other checking account. You need to keep reading. You don't have it figured out just yet.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DeaconY
Why bother with that extra step? You can bill pay directly from the serve account just like any other checking account. You need to keep reading. You don't have it figured out just yet.
Have a look - I wasn't the one suggesting taking money out from an ATM. I personally do use Serve to bill pay. I was just giving a possible answer to your question (which was, again, addressed to someone else) - even if it isn't the most efficient answer
Old Jan 2, 2016, 9:59 pm

there are instances when I take out $ from the atm when I need to pay my CC bill before statement cut off date. Let's say my statement cuts on a Saturday and I have a huge balance on a certain CC, I w/d from one or several Serve accts to deposit to my bank so that I can pay off a huge chunk of the balance leaving just a few dollars left to post on monthly statement. I do this only when I know payment won't be received by CCC before cut off date; otherwise, when cut off is on a Thursday and I have the funds in one of my Serve/BB accounts, I initiate payment on Monday which is received on Wednesday thereby leaving a low amount posted on my CC account.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by kickerconspiracy

Thank you in advance.
VGC stands for Visa gift cards.

Here's a good list of common manufactured spending acronyms: http://milesperday.com/2015/09/commo...-the-ms-world/
Old Jan 3, 2016, 7:26 am

Agreed. And that's probably the best answer to ajhardee's question. But I think the cash option is at least viable.
Lol, it wasn't my question, but yes, bill pay is the easiest way to use the funds in Serve/Bluebird. ATM withdrawal has limits. You can also transfer it to a bank account, but I would not do that all the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.