Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flymax77
This is the 2016 Master thread for the "All Things Paypal" thread. The previous 2013-2014 megathread is here. The previous 2015 megathread is here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paypal MyCash $500 daily load limit resets after 12:00am EST
UPDATE: Reports are that it now resets at 3:00 AM EST (12:00 AM PST)
Paypal MyCash $4000 per calendar month load limit resets after 3:00am EST

An additional $4000 per month can be loaded using Greendot Moneypaks. See the Moneypak thread for issues with these. Limit purchases to no more than 2 x $500 at a time.

To get a live PayPal MyCash representative, call 1-855-721-5035, press 1 to all the voice prompts until it asks you for your PIN, and then press 0#, 0#, and 0#.

If you are getting error code 26 when loading MyCash to your account:1.Login to Paypal on a computer, not phone
2.Go to settings (it is the gear)
3.Choose selling tools on the left
4.Scroll down to: Block payments -- Limit payments, add instructions, and more -- and choose update
5.On the page "Payment Receiving Preferences" select the first radio button, "For the items not sold on eBay, Only allow payments from the users with confirmed address."
6.Be sure that NO is chosen
7.Save and you are done

Also - if you wait 30 minutes between purchase and loading, this usually avoids the loading error (some type of fraud control)

Activity Leading to Shutdown
- $1-2k PPMC Loads, Serve Withdrawls and some small Debit card transactions
- $4k/month PPMC loads to accounts A/B/C, let fund sit for a few days, transfer all to account D, let funds sit for a few says, ACH full $12k. Account D also used for normal (but infrequent) PP activity. Continued for about 6 months until received warning emails on all 4 accounts.

Buying/Reloading My Cash Cards
https://www.paypal-cash.com/where_to_buy.html

Stores Hard Coded Against Credit Reloads (Reusing Cards):
Family Dollar
Dollar General
Print Wikipost

All things PAYPAL (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2016, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by flymax77
I bought two $500 PPMC today from CVS in Los Angeles.

Tried to activate about 60 minutes later and got this message on both:

PIN NOT ACTIVATED: The PIN number provided has not been activated at retail. Please call 1-855-721-5035 to speak to Customer Service.

My Cash Error Code = 4005

I tried in two separate browsers and with both cards, same error on both.

Does this mean my card got compromised? Or does this mean CVS screwed up on the load some how?

My receipt and credit card show I was charged. Thanks in advance for any help provided!
Does your CVS receipt show the PPMC cards were activated? It should list the last 4 digits and say "Activated" that matches the last 4 digits of the cards you received.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 11:23 am

I bought two $500 PPMC today from CVS in Los Angeles.

Tried to activate about 60 minutes later and got this message on both:

PIN NOT ACTIVATED: The PIN number provided has not been activated at retail. Please call 1-855-721-5035 to speak to Customer Service.

My Cash Error Code = 4005

I tried in two separate browsers and with both cards, same error on both.

Does this mean my card got compromised? Or does this mean CVS screwed up on the load some how?

My receipt and credit card show I was charged. Thanks in advance for any help provided!
at the lower part of your receipt on top of the barcode, the last 4 digits of the card with the amount loaded will show and say ACTIVATED. If you don't see that, go back to the store to see if they can fix it for you. If your card has been properly activated, it must be on PP's end, the website had technical difficulties a while ago since I also had problems loading but it's fixed now so you can try as long as your cards are activated.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 5:24 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum, ALL Gold
Error Code 62

Does anyone know what My Cash Error Code 62 means? Getting this error when trying to load a card and can't find any info on the error code.

Thanks.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 8:22 am

OK, I know this question must have been asked millions of times, but there is no info in the wiki so I will be bold to ask again.

My account was finally shut down, the reason given is that I used paypal balanced yesterday on an ebay purchase ... yeah, I know, WTH...?

I was warned before for withdrawing my cash balance to bank, so I stopped that and only used the debit card to make real purchases. I haven't loaded mycash for at least 6 months, but loaded 7 of them last month and made a transaction on ebay.

I am tired of dealing with paypal anyway, but question is that is there anything I can do to restore the account sooner instead of letting the money sitting there for a whole 6 months? If no success stories before, I will just have to sit tight and wait.

TIA
Old Jun 21, 2016, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by cchang4
OK, I know this question must have been asked millions of times, but there is no info in the wiki so I will be bold to ask again.

My account was finally shut down, the reason given is that I used paypal balanced yesterday on an ebay purchase ... yeah, I know, WTH...?

I was warned before for withdrawing my cash balance to bank, so I stopped that and only used the debit card to make real purchases. I haven't loaded mycash for at least 6 months, but loaded 7 of them last month and made a transaction on ebay.

I am tired of dealing with paypal anyway, but question is that is there anything I can do to restore the account sooner instead of letting the money sitting there for a whole 6 months? If no success stories before, I will just have to sit tight and wait.
I'm pretty sure you have a good chance of having your account re-instated if you used your balance coming from ppMCs to buy on ebay. I have done it several times to buy coins on ebay and have used PPDBC as payment method to get my 1% plus ebay bucks offer I've been targetted. UNLESS there are other reasons for shutting down your account, you'll get re-instated if ONLY reason is for purchasing on ebay.

I suggest you call their compliance dept and hope you get a reasonable rep. Good luck!
Old Jun 21, 2016, 10:37 am

Loading almost up to your max limit seems to be the trigger here.

TIA
Old Jun 21, 2016, 11:49 am

TIA
I also suggest both calling and emailing them to get your account reactivated. People have been banned and reinstated for more egregious actions, and your actions are entirely within the bounds of what they want.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 1:56 pm

TIA
This makes no sense. I've heard this is exactly what they hope you will use it for (using it for purchases), since they earn a nice fee from the seller or merchant.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 5:47 pm

I called today, some rep gave me ridiculous reasons like I purchased a gift card off ebay using paypal balance. I was like yeah, give me another way not to use pp balance when making purchases on ebay. She's like, there is no way but you are against the policy.WTH .

Eventually, I talked to a supervisor/manager at the risk management department over the phone for over 30 mins. The guy told me that he was not able to see anything wrong with my account or activities, even through my past history. But their compliance team shut my account down. He actually called the team on my behalf and was told the restriction won't be lifted. And no reason was given at all.

Looking back my transaction history for the past year, I guess I figured out the reason. I received 3 or 4 non-fee payments from a guy. I guess his account must have been closed and thus mine got impacted.

Well, I guess I just have to wait until the end of this year to get my money out. At least I saved every mycash card loaded and all the receipts.

Lesson learned, don't play with paypal.

Last edited by cchang4; Jun 22, 2016 at 6:11 pm
Old Jun 25, 2016, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by sybloc
Those of you buying/reloading MyCash cards must love stress and mental anquish.

If you haven't heard, the MyCash card information is stored in the Incomm database in PLAIN TEXT.

ALL MYCASH CARDS ARE COMPROMISED. ALL OF THEM
thanks for spreading the word, this is my story.

Originally Posted by Phantom707
What's your take on the specific method of reusing an old card? Do you think that is akin to sending a relative money in a transparent envelope? The money is supposed to appear in your account within five minutes of the transaction. Except for the cases where people went over the $500 daily limit, there have been no reported instances of people missing money from this method. If they did miss the money, it would be known much quicker.
this method is safe. the card is permanently attached to the paypal account post load. i do however hate the idea of these incompetent negligent nitwits getting your fees though.

Last edited by sickmint79; Jun 25, 2016 at 2:18 pm
Old Jun 25, 2016, 4:33 pm

Programs: Starwood/Hyatt/IHG-PLAT/Hilton-DIA
Originally Posted by sickmint79
thanks for spreading the word, this is my story.

this method is safe. the card is permanently attached to the paypal account post load. i do however hate the idea of these incompetent negligent nitwits getting your fees though.
I load within one hour of cvs purchase and luckily have not had any issues with conpromisized cards in the 50 or so I have purchased

Is the idea that someone is sitting there at PayPal, waiting for an activation notice, and then they lost to their account before you can load to yours? Or how else are people being defrauded due to compromization?
Old Jun 25, 2016, 4:36 pm

Programs: Starwood/Hyatt/IHG-PLAT/Hilton-DIA
Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Does your CVS receipt show the PPMC cards were activated? It should list the last 4 digits and say "Activated" that matches the last 4 digits of the cards you received.
Follow up on this - it ended up being that the cards were not activated and I went back to CVS and they actually gave me the wrong cards! My activated ones were still sitting at the register.... How did this happen? I tried to purchase 4 at a time but the credit card denied so I only purchased two and it went through the second time and the clerk put the wrong ones in the bag. We matched the last four digits to my receipt... Luckily nobody swooped them, I didn't go back until 4 hours later
Old Jun 25, 2016, 11:07 pm

I load within one hour of cvs purchase and luckily have not had any issues with conpromisized cards in the 50 or so I have purchased

Is the idea that someone is sitting there at PayPal, waiting for an activation notice, and then they lost to their account before you can load to yours? Or how else are people being defrauded due to compromization?
you are unlikely to be a victim when using the card quickly.

the PIN codes under the silvering on the cards are stored in a database in plaintext, when they should be encrypted, like passwords. furthermore, they should have limited access for users to see at all. incomm failed on both accounts.

this means it is as simple as a person with basic access sitting down to write a report that just says:

select the pin numbers
from the plain table
where the card has $500
and the card > 1 month old

then just have a list of them to redeem. which a good money launderer would do via compromised accounts and/or accounts opened with fake SSNs. in my instance i was able to find out some of this info via an inside man, and i was able to connect the account my money was loaded to to a former database administrator at incomm.

someone contacted me today about a lost $500, i lost $1500 myself, and found a prior $3500 in victims - and i think i'm just scratching the surface really. i believe the cards have been designed this way since release in 2012. it is likely the same flaw exists in other incomm products although these are the most cash like cards so arguably the juiciest to steal from.

both before and after i provided this information to incomm they simply victim blamed me for my lost funds, and claim that i am lying to them about my unauthorized transfers, and believe i was duped and a participant in victim assisted fraud. ignored is that my background is nothing like your typical VAF victim or that i have used the cards many times before.

you can read my blog post with history and some videos here. i tell you the pin # before i scratch it off and reveal it on a card.

http://www.skeet-rolling-incomm.com/...my-cash-fraud/
Old Jun 26, 2016, 3:36 am

Follow up on this - it ended up being that the cards were not activated and I went back to CVS and they actually gave me the wrong cards! My activated ones were still sitting at the register.... How did this happen? I tried to purchase 4 at a time but the credit card denied so I only purchased two and it went through the second time and the clerk put the wrong ones in the bag. We matched the last four digits to my receipt... Luckily nobody swooped them, I didn't go back until 4 hours later
Lesson learned. Do not leave the store until you verify that the last 4 digits of the card match the receipt for the activated cards. Had you matched the cards before you left the store, you would have discovered the issue right away.

What happened in your case for the mix up is that you tried to buy 4 cards but after card denied you tried to buy only 2. I know that when these cashiers give you the total, they will collect all the cards and they just give you 2 of them. This is not a mystery at all. You had 2 cards you purchased and 2 cards that were not purchased and they just happen to give you the wrong ones which is a 50/50 chance. If the cashier gave a S#*% they would have immediately separated the activated and non activated cards so that they don't get risk getting in trouble with the manager for potential fraud.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 11:29 am

fyi i have just now confirmed that the passwords are still plaintext and accessible to regular database users as opposed to something like access only via a machine application id.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.