Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many CC at a time?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2015, 11:55 am
Original Poster

How many CC at a time?

I would like to take inputs and datapoint on how many open CC folks have at any point in time? Do CC companies deny you a CC, if they see too many credit cards are open or there have been lot of activities in recent future. Each CC account opening and closing counts as an "activity". What is the word of wisdom here?
Old Oct 4, 2015, 12:18 pm

No easy answer. Depends on a wide range of things, such as income, credit score, utilization rate, debt to income ratio... I know people with 10+ active credit cards, perfect credit scores and can get any card they want.

Your ideal benefits should inform your card strategy. Depending on what you want to do you may find that you don't need 10+ cards at once.

So to be more helpful, it'd be good to know what you hope to accomplish...
Old Oct 4, 2015, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fly7b2
So to be more helpful, it'd be good to know what you hope to accomplish...
Thanks, well the reason I asked the question is, I see there are atleast 3-4 more credit cards that I can apply for which have spending requirement of $1-3K in 90 days. I already have 6 open credit cards, last month 2 a/cs were open, 1 closed. I'm not closing other accounts because they might take down my credit score in lieu of average lifespan of CC. My score is in 800 range.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 12:47 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Newyorker11
I would like to take inputs and datapoint on how many open CC folks have at any point in time? Do CC companies deny you a CC, if they see too many credit cards are open or there have been lot of activities in recent future. Each CC account opening and closing counts as an "activity". What is the word of wisdom here?
Chase has a history of they'd rather your wallet be filled with THEIR specialty cards than someone else's. However they reach a point where it's more about the overall credit line you have with them. So you have 8 cards with $15K line each, that's a LOT of credit! Resistance will build up. This is why I always refuse credit line increases when they are offered. Chase also recently refused me for an Ink card based on the number of credit inquiries I'd had recently.

AmEx seems to be more about the number of cards.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 2:24 pm

The world record: 1,497 CC at one time.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/WaterCooler/story?id=411883&page=1
Old Oct 4, 2015, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

So you have 8 cards with $15K line each, that's a LOT of credit!
total 6 cards, with total credit line of 25-30K, I didn't say anywhere it is 15K per card.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 3:32 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
According to my credit report I have 28 personal and 6 business cards. Credit score is around 800. Total personal credit limit is $250k.
I have 7 from Chase (had 9 at a time in the past), with a total credit limit of $70k. Chase never declined my application. I had a total of 11 CC with them.
Planning to apply for 2x WN cards soon.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

According to my credit report I have 28 personal and 6 business cards.
Yugi,

Chase Business have couple of cards which offers 30,000 bonus points, do you wait till they offer 50-60K points and then latch on?
Old Oct 4, 2015, 6:06 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Yugi,

Chase Business have couple of cards which offers 30,000 bonus points, do you wait till they offer 50-60K points and then latch on?
I have 3 Ink+ cards. I doubt they will give me one more of those with latest restrictions. I recently applied for 7 cards in one day, and all of them were approved, one of them was Ink with 70k bonus. This is my 4-th Ink card, I canceled one of them. They do offer 60k bonus right now on Ink+, but I'm not applying. I'm planning to apply for WN business card soon, I had one of those 2 years ago to get companion pass, I cancelled it after 1 year.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yugi
I have 3 Ink+ cards. I doubt they will give me one more of those with latest restrictions. I recently applied for 7 cards in one day, and all of them were approved, one of them was Ink with 70k bonus. This is my 4-th Ink card, I canceled one of them. They do offer 60k bonus right now on Ink+, but I'm not applying. I'm planning to apply for WN business card soon, I had one of those 2 years ago to get companion pass, I cancelled it after 1 year.
Are they different ink cards? How can you get bonus for similar cards if they are not over the gap of 24 months?
Old Oct 4, 2015, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have 35 CCs. I just apply when one interests me. I cancel CCs here and there, but if I get a decent retention offer I keep the card.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 8:40 pm

Are they different ink cards? How can you get bonus for similar cards if they are not over the gap of 24 months?
I had 3 Ink Plus cards and one Ink Bold. First I've got Ink Plus MC at the end of 2012. After that I've got Ink Bold in 2014, then I've got another Ink Plus Visa in 2014, and another Ink Plus Visa in 2015. The bonuses for those were 50k, 60k, 60k and 70k respectively. Now they converted Bold into Plus and I have 3 Ink Plus Visas. Cancelled my Ink Plus MC in 2014.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 6:47 am
Original Poster

I have had my premier business application denied today. They said you have had 11 CC open in the recent years, (at the moment I have 2 open cards), we would like to see how they perform for you. I even told them to keep my open line of credit the same or even reduce it. Looks like Chase is tightening the rope. Any way to pursue this further? Anyone knows reconsideration number etc?
Old Oct 5, 2015, 5:10 pm

I have had my premier business application denied today. They said you have had 11 CC open in the recent years, (at the moment I have 2 open cards), we would like to see how they perform for you. I even told them to keep my open line of credit the same or even reduce it. Looks like Chase is tightening the rope. Any way to pursue this further? Anyone knows reconsideration number etc?
Check the Applying for Chase Credit Cards thread in the Chase forum. Its the very first thread and has everything you need to know there including reconsideration phone numbers. It sounds like you called in when you got a pending message which is where you went wrong, although you probably didn't know that when you applied. Right now the best strategy is to wait and only call in if you're denied.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by yugi
I had 3 Ink Plus cards and one Ink Bold. First I've got Ink Plus MC at the end of 2012. After that I've got Ink Bold in 2014, then I've got another Ink Plus Visa in 2014, and another Ink Plus Visa in 2015. The bonuses for those were 50k, 60k, 60k and 70k respectively. Now they converted Bold into Plus and I have 3 Ink Plus Visas. Cancelled my Ink Plus MC in 2014.
were these all of diff business/EIN or just under your own SSN?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.