Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need a quick 130K URs - how to get them?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Need a quick 130K URs - how to get them?

Need 130K URs to transfer to Korean Air in the next 2 months.

Have Ink Bold, no CSP or Freedom, and over Chase's app limit.

Same for wife.

Normal spending pattern is $2-3K/mo of Staples Visa GCs for personal use, plus about $2000 in office supplies/telecom.
That leaves me way short.

I would consider opening Ink + CSP in my parents' names, but since I'd need the points to transfer to Korean, it may be difficult...however, so far it's the best option I can think of.

Other than that, it means buying 130 $200 GC for $26K+fees.

Which I could use to pay federal tax, I guess...
Or do the WM thing...which I have resisted up until now.

any other ideas?

Last edited by stevento; Jul 31, 2015 at 9:57 am
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:57 am

Nearly impossible.

Last edited by awval999; Jul 31, 2015 at 10:08 am Reason: Without doing something dumb like buy $26K in giftcards.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by awval999
Nearly impossible.

Reason: Without doing something dumb like buy $26K in giftcards.
Well, let's not rush to judgment...
My legitimate non-MS CC spend is around $35K/mo, so if I could use some of those gift cards for regular charges, I would liquidate them in 2 weeks without resorting to Bluebird loads.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:41 am

Can you still do Bluebird load with giftcards from Staples?

I did it a while back and was told that giftcards are not allowed. Bluebird did not accept the debit card (gift card). But again, I totally forgot what type of giftcard I used for the loading.

I was told all metabank giftcards will work with bluebird, is this true?
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:05 am

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Staples/OM/OD also have a lot of store specific gift cards that come without a fee. Grocery stores, gas stations, etc.

If you are really spending +$35K per month on actual credit card spend then you could come pretty close. Buying store brand GCs at 5X and then using them for your daily purchases could get you 350K UR points between your two cards.

There are also Store and VGCs available at gas stations which is a 2X category.

If you are close to the $50K cap of 5X category spending then move down to the 2x category for up to another 100K in points.

Depending on your ability to liquidate via BB/RB/Serve and MO's you could make it. Think of it as a challenge.

Last edited by DeaconY; Jul 31, 2015 at 11:12 am
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DeaconY
Staples/OM/OD also have a lot of store specific gift cards that come without a fee. Grocery stores, gas stations, etc.

If you are really spending +$35K per month on actual credit card spend then you could come pretty close. Buying store brand GCs at 5X and then using them for your daily purchases could get you 350K UR points between your two cards.

There are also Store and VGCs available at gas stations which is a 2X category.

If you are close to the $50K cap of 5X category spending then move down to the 2x category for up to another 100K in points.

Depending on your ability to liquidate via BB/RB/Serve and MO's you could make it. Think of it as a challenge.
All of my CC spend is in non-bonus categories.
Other than that, my spend in other categories is minimal...and virtually none in stores whose GCs are in Staples.

I guess actual liquidating would be less of a challenge than I thought.
I suppose my supplier would not be very happy if I were to hand him 50 $200 Visa cards, but I don't think he would refuse it.
Paying other large bills with $200 cards would also not win me any friends, but I suppose it's doable.
But $26K of $200 GCs would carry $900 in fees...and then there would be an additional burden of record-keeping as these would all be business expenses..and it might raise red flags with Chase or the IRS.
Not without problems this path is.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:15 pm

You can actually get 130,000 UR points pretty quickly if your CL is high enough. I recommend this route:

http://techcrunch.com/2013/04/04/det...historic-past/
Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:24 pm

Can we still unload visa giftcards on bluebird (without using walmart method)?

Which giftcard is eligible for this?
Old Jul 31, 2015, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
You can actually get 130,000 UR points pretty quickly if your CL is high enough. I recommend this route:

http://techcrunch.com/2013/04/04/det...historic-past/
That's awesome. I'm in for 270k. Thanks a bunch
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:46 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Originally Posted by ponickka
Can you still do Bluebird load with giftcards from Staples?

I did it a while back and was told that giftcards are not allowed. Bluebird did not accept the debit card (gift card). But again, I totally forgot what type of giftcard I used for the loading.

I was told all metabank giftcards will work with bluebird, is this true?
Staples GC are from Metabank and can be loaded at WM onto BB and Serve. I've loaded a ton this week. Also ones from Best Buy too, which are Metabank.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:48 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Originally Posted by stevento
Well, let's not rush to judgment...
My legitimate non-MS CC spend is around $35K/mo, so if I could use some of those gift cards for regular charges, I would liquidate them in 2 weeks without resorting to Bluebird loads.
If you have multiple BB accounts, it would be easy to liquidate 26K worth, especially if you have a working Kate.

What I'd be more concerned about is raising flags with Chase due to a HUGE upsurge in your regular monthly 5X spending.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 5:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, CC, Hyatt & IHG
Originally Posted by stevento
I would consider opening Ink + CSP in my parents' names, but since I'd need the points to transfer to Korean, it may be difficult...however, so far it's the best option I can think of.
any other ideas?
It is the quickest option you have since Korean Air allows you to pool the points within a family member.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 9:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
1.99% Plastiq promo
Old Aug 8, 2015, 12:20 pm

Why not put your regular 35k spend a month on the ink card, which even if non bonused, would equal 70k UR points over 2 months. Then you would only need to buy 12k VGC at Staples and liquidate at Walmart.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 5:56 pm

Have you thought about getting a Korean air skypass card?
https://www.usbank.com/credit-cards/...edit-card.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.