Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2015, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
Gas Stations Selling Visa Gift Cards (take Credit Card Payment)
*Will only code for gas, if gas station attached. YMMV depending on location.

Tom Thumb
Mobil
Cumberland Farms
7/11 (some 7/11 stores will deny if paying with CC! [working fine in Indiana July 2018]

Cash only:
Tom Thumb (may vary)
7/11 (some 7/11 stores will deny if paying with CC! I place those locations on my blacklist ) [hard coded change end of March early April]
Valero (they *officially* stopped accepting credit cards for variable load VGCs late 2015, but started really enforcing it in January per a manager I spoke to in January 2016) / Houston Valero Corner Store (may it RIP all the way back to the VR days)
Family Express (Indiana) (as of ~ 2/10/17 CC no longer accepted)
Print Wikipost

Gas stations that offer $500 VGCs?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold, UA Silver ,AA &Southwest
Originally Posted by Flyby01
The 7-11 gas station cashier that I frequent to buy my VGCs for 3x points finally asked me yesterday: "Just out of curiosity, why do you buy these so often?" I owned up and told him that I do it for miles. The cashier next to him said, "Oh, my Dad does the same thing." Good to know she understands.
Does American express OBC treats the purchases at 7-11 treats under Gas category ??. I know that Chase Freedom treats the purchases 7-11 as Gas. I have OBC and never tried at 7-11 and want to make sure before buying GC there.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 3:06 pm

mine was grocery on 7-11 without pumps.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 3:11 pm

Do you have category cb for the purchase?
I used prg to buy two vgc at 711, category showed grocery first, then gas in the statement. However, no bonus points for the purchase.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 3:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold, UA Silver ,AA &Southwest
Mine also Grocery without pumps but still Chase freedom gives me 5% during their quarterly promotions and I am not sure how Amex treats this ?
Old Sep 25, 2015, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by janaganamana
Does American express OBC treats the purchases at 7-11 treats under Gas category ??
Apparently not.

I have a 7-11 (with pumps) that I buy Ovs at, and all my other cards post as GAS at the high CB. When I tried my OBC, even though the transaction was listed by AMEX as GASOLINE, it only posted in the 1% category.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 7:51 pm

If you have a store that displays the logos showing they take MasterCard and they say no to buying prepaid cards with them, file complaints here: https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/cons...-shopping.html

Visa you can email [email protected].

If a place is reported enough, they get threatened with having the fees they pay the credit card companies raised for non-compliance with acceptance policy and that usually gets them in-line since they don't want the fees hiked!
Old Sep 25, 2015, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xSTRIKEx6864
...If a place is reported enough, they get threatened with having the fees they pay the credit card companies raised for non-compliance with acceptance policy and that usually gets them in-line since they don't want the fees hiked!
How do you know that this actually happens?
Old Sep 26, 2015, 9:56 pm

Some of the Circle Ks here have OVDs and VGCs that can be loaded up to $500.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by ENOTTY
Some of the Circle Ks here have OVDs and VGCs that can be loaded up to $500.
I've seen OVs at Circle K, but have you been able to buy them with CC? I was told at a few locations that they're cash-only, but I don't know if it's POS-enforced.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by devnull
I've seen OVs at Circle K, but have you been able to buy them with CC? I was told at a few locations that they're cash-only, but I don't know if it's POS-enforced.
I've been able to buy it with a credit card.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 11:11 am

Programs: Southwest A-list & Companion Pass, Enterprise, Hilton, Wyndham, etc
Originally Posted by devnull
Same experience here - no CC. And they look at you like you're a child molester.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 4:39 pm

Deleted

Last edited by Lucky888; Oct 17, 2015 at 10:46 pm
Old Sep 28, 2015, 5:03 pm

How do you know if a purchase is treated as a cash advance or a purchase?

If a merchant is selling gift cards and I pay for one with my credit card, how do I know in advance whether the transaction will post as a cash advance (obviously not desirable) or as a regular purchase?

Also, how accurate is the Wiki in this thread that Mobil & Valero stations accept credit cards as payment for gift cards?
Old Sep 28, 2015, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by mhdena
DataPoint. Be on the lookout for Asian non Indian, Black, Latino or White people to get the VGCs from.
Hmm, I'm having a slow day - does this mean it is OK to buy from anyone so long as he/she is not Indian? I wonder why?
Old Sep 29, 2015, 4:53 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott
Went to two Sunocos. One said they don't take CC as payment. The other didn't have GC even though Visa GC website said they did.

Went to three 7/11s. One said they didn't take CC as payment. There were about 3-4 employees socializing near him.

The other two did take my CC. And it seems like it meant to...it had a different prompt, asked for my CC/ID...had to get the last 4 digits of my card twice....at both of these 2 places that accepted CC for GC.

Go 7/11!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.