Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Looks like the new Citi Double Cash card (2%) can offer a good avenue for some of us

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looks like the new Citi Double Cash card (2%) can offer a good avenue for some of us

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2014, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt

NEW: Earn 1% unlimited cash back on every purchase you make

NEW: Earn an additional 1% cash back as you pay for those purchases in full or over time
I just saw the new Citi Double Cash Card, which offers 2% and several ideas flashed into my mind. First off, it's a new card, but Citi is letting PC either my Platinum Dividend or Citi Diamond Pref to it.

I'm pretty sure that this isn't rocket science and a whole bunch of people probably already thought of it, but at 2% cashback offered, you can go to a place like BJs Wholesale and purchase $800 worth of Vanilla GCs and a soda via self checkout, then unload cards via AP then payback to get the full 2%.

You can go to Stop & Shop and get some Metabank cards for $500, then unload to BB or Serve then payback the Cash card to get the full 2%.

Luckily for me, a know a couple of my high school buddies who still work retail (I'm 24, so you should understand why), so i sometimes stop by a Rite Aid and get a $500 Vanilla GC. It cuts down the activation fees for me.

Basically, my thought process is that the Citi Double Cash card offers the same CB % as most portals, so at 2%, you can get really creative and even double your rewards, in a sense. I'm not sure if i'll incur any cash advance fees for purchasing GCs with the card through a portal (thats 4% on AMEX GCs through TCB and BF), so i'll wait till someone else tries it lol.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 7:41 am

Why settle for 2%?
Old Aug 30, 2014, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smoothmunkey
Why settle for 2%?
I'm not necessarily "settling" per say. I'm looking at it as a way to further maximize my MS opportunities. Considering that i can buy a considerable amount of GCs from BJs, Stop & Shop, Rite aid, cash back portals (still questionable) and also add the card to Serve, i guess i think i can get a good amount of cutback every month. I could be wrong though, but i don't think i am.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 8:13 am

If you're forgoing a 5% CB opportunity on grocery store purchases, you're settling.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 8:24 am
Original Poster

If you're forgoing a 5% CB opportunity on grocery store purchases, you're settling.
I'm not forgoing. Besides, most CB portals don't allow you to get CB for purchasing GCs from grocery stores online. For example, I don't see any reason why you can't combine the Citi Double Cash's 2% with a portal of your choice in a purchase of Amex GCs (2%) for a total of 4% CB. The only problem with that is Citi and the ways of charging cash advance fees on GC purchases.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Too bad it's from Citi. They love to charge cash advances and you don't know until after the purchase. But, it will have it's place in some wallets I'm sure.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 8:32 am

Can I use the Citi Double Cash card to load Serve at Walgreens?
Old Aug 30, 2014, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Membersince2013
I'm not forgoing. Besides, most CB portals don't allow you to get CB for purchasing GCs from grocery stores online. For example, I don't see any reason why you can't combine the Citi Double Cash's 2% with a portal of your choice in a purchase of Amex GCs (2%) for a total of 4% CB. The only problem with that is Citi and the ways of charging cash advance fees on GC purchases.
I'd rather walk into a grocery store and get 5% CB just by swiping the card and not having to wait for portals to pay out... Even in your 4% scenario, you're forgoing at least 1%, not including fees of liquidating the AGC, which are more costly to liquidate than VGC from a grocery store.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 8:38 am

I will keep on checking feedback on this new card and see how that 2% CB really works. I'm curious why they have to separate 1% wybuy and earn another 1% wypay. I'll keep an eye on sign up bonus soon.

I just wish they made it simple like CapOne QS saying 1.5% on everything. QS also shows CB earned once purchases post.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 8:39 am
Original Poster

I'd rather walk into a grocery store and get 5% CB just by swiping the card and not having to wait for portals to pay out... Even in your 4% scenario, you're forgoing at least 1%, not including fees of liquidating the AGC, which are more costly to liquidate than VGC from a grocery store.
TRUE! I didn't think of that. I guess its only useful for stores that aren't considered grocery stores, like Target and others.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by commdiver
Can I use the Citi Double Cash card to load Serve at Walgreens?
No. It's a credit card.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Membersince2013
TRUE! I didn't think of that. I guess its only useful for stores that aren't considered grocery stores, like Target and others.
Exactly 2% CB is fine for regular spending at when 5% isn't going to happen, but there are much more efficient CB cards for MS. Happy gaming!
Old Aug 30, 2014, 8:51 am

Can I convert a Citi Dividend card to this one?
Old Aug 30, 2014, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Exactly 2% CB is fine for regular spending at when 5% isn't going to happen, but there are much more efficient CB cards for MS. Happy gaming!
I just started MS, so i'm still trying to get the hang of it. i figured with a card like this, you can bypass BJs $100 rewards membership (which offers 2%) or use it in conjunction with it. At places like Rite Aid, i plan on using my PRG for MS anyways....
Old Aug 30, 2014, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by compddd
Can I convert a Citi Dividend card to this one?
A chat representative told me and others that September 7, 2014 is when they will start accepting conversion requests for the card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.