Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: phant0m
************Gift Card Fraud Alert************

http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

How can I protect myself?

1) Do not buy a card that has been opened or looks tampered with. Inspect all packaging thoroughly before purchasing. Many posters say that the packaging looks pristine, but the glue seems excessive once opened. Open the package to inspect the glue before you pay for it, if the cashier allows that.

2) Use the card quickly. The card has no value until YOU add money. If you spend your funds before the fraudster figures out that it's loaded, you win. Or at least register your card. That might give you another layer of security but beware it might NOT be bulletproof.

3) Keep your receipts and packaging until your card is liquidated. You will need the receipt to make a claim.

I'll add a few more from the school of hard knocks (also now known as the school of the paranoid MSer)....

4) If it's the only card of its type left on the rack, should you buy it or not? Consider: did the fraudster remove all the other cards so some sucker would quickly come along quickly and buy the card he has placed there purposefully?

5) A corollary to #4: Should you buy the top card in a stack of cards, or dig deeper and pick out one a distance from the top? Did the fraudster put the card he wants some sucker to buy at the top of the stack so it would sell quickly and he could do his evil deed?

6) Open card packages soon after purchase. Don't wait a few days. If anything looks amiss (too much glue inside the pack, too little glue inside, glue in the wrong location, mag stripe doesn't look right, some card numbers illegible), call the 800 number on the back of the card immediately to report it and ask about a replacement.

Each link of Gift Card MS:

1. Gift Card issuer: Vanilla, Metabank, US Bank, Green Dot etc. There can be data hack. It is rare.
2. GC Merchant: grocery and drug stores. Online GC sellers (Simon Mall, Gift Card Mall etc.). The data hack is possible, but rare.
3. Shipping: GCs can be stolen. But this is not fraud.
4. GC Cash Out: Walmart, Dollar General, Family Dollar, CVS etc. This is very rare.

For unsold GCs with bar code exposed, the store is required to destroy the GCs. Fraud can happen when the unsuspecting store staff return the unsold GCs back to the shelf. But it is very rare to have a batch of GCs all tampered and returned to the store shelf.

Here is a web site with information about gift card fraud:

http://www.tripwire.com/state-of-sec...-so-lucrative/

Here are some stores where FT members have experienced fraud:

List of Stores to avoid or be Alert:
(1) Reported by IWOL in So Cal:
VONS => Ventura Blvd & Reseda

Reported by Lovenola:

Ralph's in Downey at 9200 Lakewood Blvd.

Ralph's in Pasadena at 211 E. Foothill Blvd.

Ralph's in Monrovia at 1193 Huntington Dr.

3) Reported by domino007

Ralphs in 13321 Jamboree Rd, Tustin

Ralphs in Irvine on Alton, Walnut and Irvine Blvd

Reported by DaveInLA:
Ralphs in Brea- 305 W Imperial Hwy. VGC was purchased in 12/2014.

Reported by 46sky:
Ralphs in Culver City on Venice Blvd - VGC purchased 2/2015.

Reported by Chrisflyer66:
Ralphs in San Diego on Sports Arena - VGCs purchased in 2014-2015.

Ralph's - 1435 W Chapman Ave, Orange, CA 92868 - Purchased 12/2019

Seems to me that only People in so.Cal are reporting
Print Wikipost

Gift Card Fraud !!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2015, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by mrflyhigher
Bought 2 VGC at Ralph's in Van Nuys. One loaded to BB fine. The other card has the dots of weird glue that does not come off easily.
Faxed all my info in the next day. Heard nothing for over 2 months. Filed dispute with CC company.
Haven't heard a word for about 5 weeks since dispute. If dispute is denied next step will be to file small claims against Ralph's and also USB.
They will settle I'm sure of it, just might cost them some extra fees for court costs and service. I have all receipts and packaging, complied with all the requests for info.
Might take the advice in some of the previous posts and walk into the store tomorrow and talk with the mgr, tried doing this an hour after purchase but no mgr was available.
Sick to death dealing with this.
Did you try calling in to check if they have received your fax. They are the absolute worst people to deal with. There is a direct number to the dispute dept. but I don't have the number any longer. If you call the dispute dept and tell them that you have faxed your paperwork months ago and nothing has been done. Demand that they verify for you if you paperwork was received or not or make the rep contact the dept that receives the faxes to make sure they have it.

I have dealt with these people several times and they are the most incompetent bunch I have ever had the pleasure of talking to. You have to call and and get very angry to get any result but in my case with about 8 tampered cards I have always eventually received a replacement, some taking up to 3 months.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 3:00 pm

Datapoint: Purchased 5 $500 Sunrise VGCs from Walmart #2177 off Aero Drive in San Diego today. Four are fine, but two were tampered with and had some numbers scratched off the front. Immediately tried to drain via Square, but the magnetic strip isn't working either. Went back into the store, they called a customer service line (Green Dot), and the rep filed two claims for me. I just sent in pics of the cards and receipts, and she assured me I'll have a check from them within a few weeks.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by CalGuy
Datapoint: Purchased 5 $500 Sunrise VGCs from Walmart #2177 off Aero Drive in San Diego today. Four are fine, but two were tampered with and had some numbers scratched off the front. Immediately tried to drain via Square, but the magnetic strip isn't working either. Went back into the store, they called a customer service line (Green Dot), and the rep filed two claims for me. I just sent in pics of the cards and receipts, and she assured me I'll have a check from them within a few weeks.
4 are fine and 2 are bad. How many have you really purchased. Obviously not 5.

I purchased one tampered $500 Visa at WM in Santee, Ca on February 27, 2015. Had to send a pic of the front and back of the GC and a pic of my receipt. The thief used the funds 4 days later (March 3, 2015). I had to file dispute of the transactions the thief made and it took about 6 weeks and about 10 phone calls to get a $500 check.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Zgirl

I purchased one tampered $500 Visa at WM in Santee, Ca on February 27, 2015. Had to send a pic of the front and back of the GC and a pic of my receipt. The thief used the funds 4 days later (March 3, 2015). I had to file dispute of the transactions the thief made and it took about 6 weeks and about 10 phone calls to get a $500 check.
My experience as well. Took a lot of time for me to chase it down and I honestly didn't have much confidence in them.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:14 pm

Oops, meant to say I bought 6. 4 were fine, 2 were bad.

Coincidentally, I was in the Santee store a few days ago looking for Sunrises, but couldn't find any. Good thing, I guess.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 7:30 am

Tampered with so you couldn't drain it or you discovered it was tampered with and drained 4 days later when you tried to drain it?
Old Apr 18, 2015, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by ZzzzX
Tampered with so you couldn't drain it or you discovered it was tampered with and drained 4 days later when you tried to drain it?
I noticed the card was bad immediately after the purchase. The barcode on the purchased card was from another (the thief's) giftcard. The manager and me reported this scam within 20 minutes but WM giftcard dept did nothing about it, although they could see where my money went. They didn't freeze the funds, nothing. They just waited until the thief used the money, then I was asked to file a dispute on the thief's card. What a joke.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:23 am

New Ralphs location - Had 3 cards purchased from Ralphs @ Tustin, CA. No packaging issue (atleast I felt so). Due to some travel I was not able to drain it the next day. 2 cards drained out totally @ Amazon / Amazon Market Place. 1 card was used at Amway but it was blocked as hence the funds are still there. Opened replacement card / fraud process. Was told the blocked card will be replaced within 10 days. While the other two will take 3-4 weeks.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 4:04 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, hyatt GP
Another data point: Purchased MCGC last night in Ralphs, Culver Dr Irvine CA. no sign of tampering at all. Tried to use it this morning and got insufficient fund msg. Then i checked online, there was $1 GAP transaction, $499 still on the card. Called 1800 number immediately and they deactivate the card, asking me to fax front n back of the card, packaging (not sure why packaging?), name, email, address, phone number.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 7:46 pm

Finally got to me too

Bought a metabank VGC from safeway 5 days back. Tried to drain it today but didn't go through. Realised the 3 digit security code was tampered with. Immediately called customer service. told me to fax the documents. have done it...hoping for the best.
Do you think I can go to safeway and talk to the manager to resolve it faster or that is not gonna work?
Old May 2, 2015, 12:42 am

Anyone has a phone number for this dispute department for metabank vgc? Thank you.

Originally Posted by IWOL
Did you try calling in to check if they have received your fax. They are the absolute worst people to deal with. There is a direct number to the dispute dept. but I don't have the number any longer. If you call the dispute dept and tell them that you have faxed your paperwork months ago and nothing has been done. Demand that they verify for you if you paperwork was received or not or make the rep contact the dept that receives the faxes to make sure they have it.

I have dealt with these people several times and they are the most incompetent bunch I have ever had the pleasure of talking to. You have to call and and get very angry to get any result but in my case with about 8 tampered cards I have always eventually received a replacement, some taking up to 3 months.
Old May 2, 2015, 12:57 am

Purchased 2 VGC at Ralph's in Burbank, CA today on Buena Vista and. Victory Blvd.

Packaging looked fine on the outside. Opened them up as soon as I left and both cards had 4 numbers scratched off the front and cvv code missing. Called right away to report and they gave me a number to Kroger.

Called Kroger to explain the situation while I was in the store. Gave rep numbers on the back of the card to identify them. Very nice rep was able to transfer the funds form both cards to 2 new VGC saving me the trouble of dealing with all he faxing BS and the 3 week wait for replacements.

Always open cards immediately if buying at a Kroger location. If the cards are tampered with you can get them replaced in the store and walk out with new cards and avoid all the hassle.
Old May 5, 2015, 11:31 am

Bought two $500 visa's from a DFW area Kroger a few days ago, waited a bit longer than usual to unload them and each card got hit with a $5 GAP authorization. I drained the remaining $495 from each of them and will wait to see if the $5 auths drop off. The GAP scam has hit TX.
Old May 5, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by knopfler
Bought two $500 visa's from a DFW area Kroger a few days ago, waited a bit longer than usual to unload them and each card got hit with a $5 GAP authorization. I drained the remaining $495 from each of them and will wait to see if the $5 auths drop off. The GAP scam has hit TX.
Long time ago. This is not a location issue. Their POS terminals or database has been broken into.
Old May 5, 2015, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Hyatt, Hilton
Originally Posted by IWOL
Purchased 2 VGC at Ralph's in Burbank, CA today on Buena Vista and. Victory Blvd.

Packaging looked fine on the outside. Opened them up as soon as I left and both cards had 4 numbers scratched off the front and cvv code missing. Called right away to report and they gave me a number to Kroger.

Called Kroger to explain the situation while I was in the store. Gave rep numbers on the back of the card to identify them. Very nice rep was able to transfer the funds form both cards to 2 new VGC saving me the trouble of dealing with all he faxing BS and the 3 week wait for replacements.

Always open cards immediately if buying at a Kroger location. If the cards are tampered with you can get them replaced in the store and walk out with new cards and avoid all the hassle.
Sorry a bit confused - If you purchased @ Ralphs, why did you call Kroger? Are the two under the same corporate umbrella?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.