Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Freedom and Discover Q3 Gas

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2014, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Chase Freedom and Discover Q3 Gas

I'm sure some are aware that the Q3 5% categories are gas for both the freedom and discover. What are some plans for hitting the bonuses? In Q1 I hit the freedom bonus by buying variable VGCs from 7-11. The 7-11s near me no longer sell the variable VGCs and I tried to buy a MVD a while ago and the register was coded for cash only. Does discover code as gas for 7-11? It seems as if discover doesn't like large purchases as well. Anyways just thought this might be a good thread to share some ideas.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Chris92128
I'm sure some are aware that the Q3 5% categories are gas for both the freedom and discover. What are some plans for hitting the bonuses? In Q1 I hit the freedom bonus by buying variable VGCs from 7-11. The 7-11s near me no longer sell the variable VGCs and I tried to buy a MVD a while ago and the register was coded for cash only. Does discover code as gas for 7-11? It seems as if discover doesn't like large purchases as well. Anyways just thought this might be a good thread to share some ideas.
Unfortunately, Gas Station MS is super location dependent. It would be helpful to post your location, if you're going to participate in this thread.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tuppins
Unfortunately, Gas Station MS is super location dependent. It would be helpful to post your location, if you're going to participate in this thread.
I'm in San Diego but also wanted to get input from all areas as it might be helpful to others
Old Jun 10, 2014, 1:44 pm

Philly Area

Would any of the experienced MSers in the Philly area PM any locations? I have seen the goods in Sunoco stores but when I asked in the one closest to me it was cash only. Any that don't have this policy? I also have trips planned to NJ and Delaware. I know there are Valero's there but I didn't know about MS when I was there last so I don't know if they sell gift cards there. Thanks!
Old Jun 10, 2014, 3:28 pm

Too bad the Q3 Kohls category is basically useless.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:21 pm

In Oregon, most Slurpee shops will let you use a CC to buy OV cards. It has worked out very well for me in the past!
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:58 pm

In Indiana, Speedway is supposed to sell OV but I've yet to see any stock. Circle K is cash only. Kroger gas pumps sell Kroger cards but they might code as grocery.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by ZzzzX
In Indiana, Speedway is supposed to sell OV but I've yet to see any stock. Circle K is cash only.
Speedway stopped OV months ago.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by spgbus
Speedway stopped OV months ago.
That explains it.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 7:50 pm

Programs: SW CP, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Im in the Phila / NJ area as well...maybe Hess if you have one close? I'm going to try Sunoco as well...
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:15 pm

Programs: Total Rewards Diamond, Delta Gold, Starwood Gold, Mosaic
Sunoco won't let you use cc for cash equivalents inc ov. I've seen the memo...it's actually a binder.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:45 pm

Sunoco is useless. Their machines are either down or they do not accept CC. I live on the Main Line outside of Philly. There is nothing around here...

Which GCs do Valeros normally sell? Do they always accept CC?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:49 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I'm in San Diego but also wanted to get input from all areas as it might be helpful to others
SD is rough right now. I've tried almost all of the Valero's and no luck with any even selling gift cards.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by healthnut
SD is rough right now. I've tried almost all of the Valero's and no luck with any even selling gift cards.
The 7-11s near me used to sell the variables up to $500 but dont see them now. SD is loaded with walmarts though which is nice. I swear we have like 25 throughout the county.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:55 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The 7-11s near me used to sell the variables up to $500 but dont see them now. SD is loaded with walmarts though which is nice. I swear we have like 25 throughout the county.
Yeah as recent as January, I was able to get OV's at 7/11. Not anymore... All strict "cash only."

What city isn't loaded with WM's anymore?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.