Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$5 off two Vanilla GCs at Walgreens

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2014, 5:31 pm

Thanks for posting. I planned on cashing out $5.5k in AGC at CVS in the morning after I pick them up at UPS Store. I haven't tried WG yet since CVS is so easy but for an extra $25 in WG GC I'll give it a try. Worse that happens is that it doesn't work and I go across the street.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt, HH, IHG, SPG, AA, WN
$5 off two Vanilla GCs at Walgreens

Last time this was offered, two stores refused to sell me two gift cards due to store limits (loss prevention). I convinced them to sell me one Visa GC, and then give me a store credit of $2.50. I am in North Texas. Thanks OP for the heads up.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by elfrozo
Both. I did the gift package, the OV with the plastic window in the front and a combination of both.

If it doesn't work, call the manager and show him/her the flyer with the offer.
ok, The flyer at the store didnt have the gift cards listed in it
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:26 am
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
Originally Posted by BOGO
Last time this was offered, two stores refused to sell me two gift cards due to store limits (loss prevention). I convinced them to sell me one Visa GC, and then give me a store credit of $2.50. I am in North Texas. Thanks OP for the heads up.
good plan, didnt even think about that ^ will remember for next time!
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:04 am

Only fixed value cards marked for promotion at my local wag. Even if variable works they are $2 more per card than at grocery or $1 more per card than at Cvs so not worth the extra time for me.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
I thought wg was cash only for these type gcs. Ones in my area are cash only and therefore no one buys gcs from walgreens here.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nmp0
Only fixed value cards marked for promotion at my local wag. Even if variable works they are $2 more per card than at grocery or $1 more per card than at Cvs so not worth the extra time for me.
I think you're looking at the wrong cards. The Vanilla GCs with gold and ribbon are $4.95 at the local WGs here, the same as at CVS.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: All of them!
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
I had a frustrating time today trying to get the $5 GC deal. I went to the same store as last night (described in the WG thread), but they were out of the WG GCs used for the $5, so I went to another WG. The process didn't work there, either, and the clerk called up another guy and the manager. They puzzled over it for a while, then the other guy said, "It's for 2 $500 VGCs, and we can't sell 2 of them".

The manager then told me that federal law requires that they can only sell me $500 max, and that's why to $5 wasn't taken off. When I told him no, that's not true, he said it was an anti money-laundering law. I told him I had bought $1000 in GCs the last time this offer was around at that very store, plus the store on Univ. Ave and the store by the University. He insisted that they could not sell me the cards, even though the total was sitting there on the register waiting for me to swipe my CC.

It was clear that he wasn't going to make any accommodation, so I left without purchasing. It's likely that the deal wasn't programmed into the registers citywide, so I guess I'll pass this one up.
I've heard that nonsense about federal law limiting purchases to $500 at more than one Walgreens store. Sometimes they mention the Patriot Act. It's no use arguing with them, even though it's tempting to point out that CVS allows $5000/day.

Originally Posted by Churnman
I thought wg was cash only for these type gcs. Ones in my area are cash only and therefore no one buys gcs from walgreens here.
It is YMMV depending on the store. Register allows CC for GC but not VR.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by Lemma
Sometimes they mention the Patriot Act
I just wear this

http://www.amazon.com/Patriotic-T-Sh.../dp/B00CVDO4Q0
Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:55 am

Uh, doesn't the ad say the $5 gift card comes with the purchase of the two Vanilla Visa cards "below"--and the illustration shows one $100 and one $25 card?

I read that as saying the offer applies if you buy those two cards for $125.00 plus fees--not if you buy any other Vanilla Visa cards. In particular, it doesn't apply for variable load Vanillas at all.

And there's nothing in the ad that says you can pay for them by a credit card. My local Walgreen's vary--some say cash only for any of these cards, some don't.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:04 am

I took advantage of this ad twice. Both times with 2 $500 vanilla gift cards and paid with cc
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:16 am

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Although I've not had success at WG near me, I'm going to give it a shot. Just because I don't think I can buy with cc doesn't mean I can't. I've found that I defeat myself when I listen to "I don't think..."
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lobachevsky
Uh, doesn't the ad say the $5 gift card comes with the purchase of the two Vanilla Visa cards "below"--and the illustration shows one $100 and one $25 card?

I read that as saying the offer applies if you buy those two cards for $125.00 plus fees--not if you buy any other Vanilla Visa cards. In particular, it doesn't apply for variable load Vanillas at all.

And there's nothing in the ad that says you can pay for them by a credit card. My local Walgreen's vary--some say cash only for any of these cards, some don't.
You're assuming an "only these cards" that doesn't exist in the ad. Most of us saw them as examples only, and successfully bought two $500 GCs. With CC.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 11:08 am

Programs: UA Gold, Delta Gold, Marriot Plat
Originally Posted by Churnman
Although I've not had success at WG near me, I'm going to give it a shot. Just because I don't think I can buy with cc doesn't mean I can't. I've found that I defeat myself when I listen to "I don't think..."
You are late. It ended on 4/19.

Bought 6K between two WGs with CC and the same WG card.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 4:25 pm

I took advantage of this ad twice. Both times with 2 $500 vanilla gift cards and paid with cc
Yes--but did the register automatically give you that $5 gift card or tell the cashier to do so, or was that something that had to be done manually when you complained? National Walgreen's policy specifically says that the cards are limited to $500 per day. I'm not aware that credit cards are always acceptable in payment either officially.

I do know that I've often been unable to buy the cards except for cash, and I'm often told the policy is to limit sales to $500 per day. It's not just a policy for WGs that are local to me.

Which of course doesn't mean that you can't get lucky now and then with a clerk or a manager who doesn't know or follow or care about the rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.