Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Meijer MOs

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2014, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Meijer MOs

I realize Meijer is a midwest store, so I am not sure how many of you have them around or even buy MOs there, but I tried liquidating some $200 Staples VGCs there and it did not work.

I have done this in the past multiple times, however when I tried to do it this time it ran as a credit card instead of a debit card. I figured the PIN might not have been put on there, so I went home double checked the PIN was on the card and waited until the next day.

The next day I went to the same Meijer and tried a few of my $200 VGCs with the same issue. I then went to a different Meijer and had the exact same issue there as well. The card kept running as a credit. Finally, I went to Walmart (it's about a 40 min drive compared to 5 mins for Meijer) and it worked flawlessly.

I just wanted to check and see if anyone else has had any issues similar to this at Meijer.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 1:41 pm

sounds ominous
Old Feb 25, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold 1MM ,Hyatt Explorist,Marriott Platinum,HHonors Diamond
I have used VGC to buy RL cards with no problem last week but haven't tried to buy MO's...
Old Feb 25, 2014, 4:08 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I use my MVD all the time to get MO's. No issue at all!
Old Feb 25, 2014, 4:25 pm

After you swiped the card on the pad, did it give you the option to run it as credit or debit? Did the employee assume it was a credit for some reason?
Old Feb 25, 2014, 6:15 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I bought several GC at OM last promo, and turned them into MO at Meijer, no problem,

Indy is in the Mid West.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by healthnut
I use my MVD all the time to get MO's. No issue at all!
I haven't had issues with my JH Preferred either, just with Staples $200 VGCs.

Originally Posted by coolwhs
After you swiped the card on the pad, did it give you the option to run it as credit or debit? Did the employee assume it was a credit for some reason?
It did not give me the option to run as credit or debit, as it normally would. I ran it and it did not work. The employee asked if it was a debit card to which I answered yes and he said to try it again. I did and still nothing.

Originally Posted by satman40
I bought several GC at OM last promo, and turned them into MO at Meijer, no problem,

Indy is in the Mid West.
I also bought multiple GCs at OM during that promo and turned all of them into MOs last month with no issue. I wonder if it is just the Visas that have the issue or if Meijer is cracking down on GCs. I plan on buying different GCs and tested them at Meijer either this weekend or next to get to the bottom of this. I do not want to have to drive all the to WM every time. That would be a pain.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
I have used VGC's many times to buy MO's at Meijer, never had a problem.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: AA, UR, WN, BA, CC, SPG
I can confirm that Meijer in West Michigan will not take the VGCs from OM they ring as credit. No choice to select debit.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 6:18 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Originally Posted by Gustraveler
I can confirm that Meijer in West Michigan will not take the VGCs from OM they ring as credit. No choice to select debit.
Same with the OD Visa Gift Card Debit cards. They ring as credit, no way to process them as debit and therefore be able to use them.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 9:45 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Just a couple of questions for you Meijer shoppers:

1) do the variable load Visa GCs that you can buy at Jewel (or Dominicks when they were open) work for MOs at Meijer?

2) how much does Meijer charge for a MO?

Thanks!
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:02 pm

I thought Meijer registers were "smart" for MOs because one time I swiped a Rush prepaid and the cashier said "oh it only took $999". However, when I tried to swipe a $500 VGC for an MO purchase today the cashier said she got an insufficient funds notice.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MDWCommuter
Just a couple of questions for you Meijer shoppers:

1) do the variable load Visa GCs that you can buy at Jewel (or Dominicks when they were open) work for MOs at Meijer?

2) how much does Meijer charge for a MO?

Thanks!
1) I have never been to a Jewel or Dominicks store, however I have had no issues with variable load Visa GCs from C V S. They run through as debit.

2) Meijer charges $0.65 per $500 money order. ($500 is the max sadly)
Old Mar 9, 2014, 8:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by endingstrife
1) I have never been to a Jewel or Dominicks store, however I have had no issues with variable load Visa GCs from C V S. They run through as debit.

2) Meijer charges $0.65 per $500 money order. ($500 is the max sadly)
Thanks - appreciate the info!
Old Mar 11, 2014, 9:38 am

If they ring as credit, then why not pull out a miles/points-earning CC and go to town buying MOs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.