Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1 SPG Point > 2 MR Points?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2013, 8:03 am
Original Poster

1 SPG Point > 2 MR Points?

Via the $10 off Safeway thread, I can manufacture spend for free (small profit). I'm wondering if I should use my new SPG card (in part to meet min spend) or my Amex PRG for 2x MR points and use SPG card for manufactured spend (VR, etc)?

I know it's a bit subjective based on my travel goals, plans, etc. but I'm wondering overall which carries more value since I'm not entirely sure where I will use the points yet.

As a side note, I do have about 80k MR's already and am no where near meeting the extra 15k MR on 30k spend on PRG and likely won't make it by the end of the calendar year without getting a FR.

Thoughts are appreciated?
Old Sep 19, 2013, 8:07 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
If redeemed for air travel 1 SPG point is worth 1.25 Membership Rewards points. If redeemed for hotel stays you need to do your own arithmetic based on where you might stay and the price you would otherwise pay.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 9:02 am

Programs: BA, AA, United
I will go with Amex MR. 2 MR in my opinion is > 1 SPG. If you can somehow hit 30K spending, it is 2.5MR then.

If you are in the west coast, you can use MR->Avios transfer when there is a bonus (they have 30-50% bonus 2-3 times a year) and use it to travel to Hawaii (Alaska air), Mexico etc.

Originally Posted by nayrb3
Via the $10 off Safeway thread, I can manufacture spend for free (small profit). I'm wondering if I should use my new SPG card (in part to meet min spend) or my Amex PRG for 2x MR points and use SPG card for manufactured spend (VR, etc)?

I know it's a bit subjective based on my travel goals, plans, etc. but I'm wondering overall which carries more value since I'm not entirely sure where I will use the points yet.

As a side note, I do have about 80k MR's already and am no where near meeting the extra 15k MR on 30k spend on PRG and likely won't make it by the end of the calendar year without getting a FR.

Old Sep 19, 2013, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by rambo
I will go with Amex MR. 2 MR in my opinion is > 1 SPG. If you can somehow hit 30K spending, it is 2.5MR then.

If you are in the west coast, you can use MR->Avios transfer when there is a bonus (they have 30-50% bonus 2-3 times a year) and use it to travel to Hawaii (Alaska air), Mexico etc.
+1

I too would rather have 2MR than 1 SPG. I would be planning to transfer to Avios when they have a good bonus so I would be hoping to end up with 3 Avios which is worth more to me than 1 SPG.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 9:54 am
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
I guess I am the outlier here... I would use it to hit the minimum spend for free. You're getting 1.25 per dollar for the SPG and 2x for MR... of course you could always split it up and do both, right? I am just big on getting my spend requirements hit quickly and easily so that I don't have to worry about them. Good luck!
Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:05 am

Programs: US CP, DL GM, AA Plat
How do you guys use AMEX cards for MS without worrying about a financial review?
Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by TAWS
How do you guys use AMEX cards for MS without worrying about a financial review?
You just accept the risk. I did get a financial review one month I did 15K when I was trying to get a bunch of Hilton points and make reservations before the big Hilton devaluation took effect. Had to fill out the IRS form but passed without any adverse action and no further problems. The Financial Review they do today is a kinder gentler FR than it was a few years ago when they acted like debt collectors. Now they act more like CSRs.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:00 pm

Programs: BA, AA, United
In my experience, Amex has a way to account for MS and consolidate across all their CC's. Usually, we all think that if we break down our MS under different CC's, we will be fine.

As ddallas says, if you hit 10-15K MS in 4-6 weeks, you can expect a FR. Just read the FR thread in the Amex forum and be prepared for it. If you have not reported your income correctly in the app, stay away for too much MS on your amex cards (well no one knows what too much is!!).

I have 3 Amex's now and I plan on staying under 10K a month in total.

Originally Posted by ddallas
You just accept the risk. I did get a financial review one month I did 15K when I was trying to get a bunch of Hilton points and make reservations before the big Hilton devaluation took effect. Had to fill out the IRS form but passed without any adverse action and no further problems. The Financial Review they do today is a kinder gentler FR than it was a few years ago when they acted like debt collectors. Now they act more like CSRs.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by rambo
In my experience, Amex has a way to account for MS and consolidate across all their CC's. Usually, we all think that if we break down our MS under different CC's, we will be fine.

As ddallas says, if you hit 10-15K MS in 4-6 weeks, you can expect a FR. Just read the FR thread in the Amex forum and be prepared for it. If you have not reported your income correctly in the app, stay away for too much MS on your amex cards (well no one knows what too much is!!).

I have 3 Amex's now and I plan on staying under 10K a month in total.
?? $10K every few days isn't unusual for me.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 8:57 pm

Why choose one over the other when you get "free" points? This is one of the very few instances where putting spend on SPG makes sense.

Absent getting "free" points, PRG at 2x can be much more useful for flights (especially if you can lever your points with the occasional Amex transfer bonus). But for hotels, MRs aren't all that good.

That said, for hotels, SPG has one of the worst redemption values of all the major hotel programs - it's dead last. So I'd redeem for airlines only on SPG, and churn other cards for hotels (like Chase URs for Hyatt/Amex Surpass for HH/USB for Carlson) where your dollar of spend goes a lot further.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by farwest101
Why choose one over the other when you get "free" points? This is one of the very few instances where putting spend on SPG makes sense.

Absent getting "free" points, PRG at 2x can be much more useful for flights (especially if you can lever your points with the occasional Amex transfer bonus). But for hotels, MRs aren't all that good.

That said, for hotels, SPG has one of the worst redemption values of all the major hotel programs - it's dead last. So I'd redeem for airlines only on SPG, and churn other cards for hotels (like Chase URs for Hyatt/Amex Surpass for HH/USB for Carlson) where your dollar of spend goes a lot further.
The bloggers seem to think that the SPG value is in the hotels. Pay 4 days, get 5 - or even do the miles and points where you get 50k airport miles and 5 days in a category 4 hotel for like 60-70k.

I'm getting adjoining rooms in San Diego near Christmas time for $180 a night ($360 for both) - out 6000 points. I'm trying to talk myself into why I should transfer them over at all..
Old Sep 20, 2013, 1:08 am

Most blogs tend to value an SPG point around 2.5 cents and a MR point around 1.8-2 cents, so you're looking at 3.6-4 cent rebate vs. 2.5 cents.. so MR is a solid choice.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by horseymen
The bloggers seem to think that the SPG value is in the hotels. Pay 4 days, get 5 - or even do the miles and points where you get 50k airport miles and 5 days in a category 4 hotel for like 60-70k.

I'm getting adjoining rooms in San Diego near Christmas time for $180 a night ($360 for both) - out 6000 points. I'm trying to talk myself into why I should transfer them over at all..
Any blogger saying SPG is best for hotels needs to get a clue.

Read Loyalty Lobby's comparison of all the big chains - SPG comes in dead last - by a country mile: http://loyaltylobby.com/2013/05/04/m...s-conclusions/
Old Sep 20, 2013, 12:33 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Thread transferred to Credit Card Programs because the topic is of general interest.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by farwest101
Any blogger saying SPG is best for hotels needs to get a clue.

Read Loyalty Lobby's comparison of all the big chains - SPG comes in dead last - by a country mile: http://loyaltylobby.com/2013/05/04/m...s-conclusions/
The amount of hotel spending required to get a free night has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

As far as whether to spend SPG points on hotel stays or airline transfers, I've always gotten far more value by using them for hotel stays but will occasionally transfer a bit to airline accounts just to top up for an award. I would not recommend the SPG card as a straight airline mileage earning card, but certainly this works for some.

As mia pointed out for this specific case, the only way 1 SPG point approaches the value of 2 MR would be through hotel stays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.