Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2013, 7:13 pm

Little late but just wanted to point out that TopCashBack is giving 1% on Visa gift cards purchased at GiftCardMall. Ends today.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by blt7cd
Little late but just wanted to point out that TopCashBack is giving 1% on Visa gift cards purchased at GiftCardMall. Ends today.
thanks in fact!

that's $15 on $1500 or 3 GCs... I need exactly that to cover my current quarterly gig on the discover card!
Old Sep 6, 2013, 11:23 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Ok, the funds never returned to my card. That portion of the transaction went through, according to WM, but the transaction was supposed to be reversed when the second us bank GC didn't go through. I don't have a receipt showing the reversal. I filed a disputed with US Bank, but I'm not sure what else I can do. I fear I've lost 500 bucks. My situation is different from the one Nishant described in his post. Any other tips would be appreciated.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ive seen reversals to gcs from wmt take over a week to credit
Old Sep 6, 2013, 11:27 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
Ive seen reversals to gcs from wmt take over a week to credit
Thanks.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Np and good luck w it

I always beg them never to reverse for that reason but on the few times its happened ive seen the long wait on store gcs

Chase gcs take less time
Bank debit cards even less

Worst case: bring all slips and cards in to get it resolved

Sadly theyll now see you bought w a pin gc which may make them inclined to think thats somehow wrong but hey you need your fubds back so wait a week and hope this never has to happen.

This is all why i tend to keep gcs even once used... Even if i get my mo. The mo could be somehow invalid too. Has happened in my tenure.

Ps ive not had any case where funds never showed up after a week
Old Sep 6, 2013, 12:21 pm

Programs: United Airlines Premier, Starwood Gold Preferred Guest, Hyatt Gold Passport, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
Ok, the funds never returned to my card. That portion of the transaction went through, according to WM, but the transaction was supposed to be reversed when the second us bank GC didn't go through. I don't have a receipt showing the reversal. I filed a disputed with US Bank, but I'm not sure what else I can do. I fear I've lost 500 bucks. My situation is different from the one Nishant described in his post. Any other tips would be appreciated.
IMO WM probably didn't do the reversal probably. Have the WM manager (not CSM, a manager) call Financial Services and trace look at the journal for that transaction, if it has been reversed, they should be able to tell.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 12:22 pm

Programs: United Airlines Premier, Starwood Gold Preferred Guest, Hyatt Gold Passport, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
Np and good luck w it

I always beg them never to reverse for that reason but on the few times its happened ive seen the long wait on store gcs

Chase gcs take less time
Bank debit cards even less

Worst case: bring all slips and cards in to get it resolved

Sadly theyll now see you bought w a pin gc which may make them inclined to think thats somehow wrong but hey you need your fubds back so wait a week and hope this never has to happen.

This is all why i tend to keep gcs even once used... Even if i get my mo. The mo could be somehow invalid too. Has happened in my tenure.

Ps ive not had any case where funds never showed up after a week

Yeah, I keep all the GC's even used. I throw them all in a shoebox. You never know what could happen down the road, and it's always better to have all the necessary paperwork in hand.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by vtqanh
IMO WM probably didn't do the reversal probably. Have the WM manager (not CSM, a manager) call Financial Services and trace look at the journal for that transaction, if it has been reversed, they should be able to tell.
Can they do that if I don't have a receipt?
Old Sep 6, 2013, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by vtqanh
Yeah, I keep all the GC's even used. I throw them all in a shoebox. You never know what could happen down the road, and it's always better to have all the necessary paperwork in hand.
I keep all mine now, although I didn't before. I just throw them in a box. I'm not as organized as some of the other folks on here.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
Can they do that if I don't have a receipt?
They should have a record of the transaction that happened on that day. Usually it has to be a manager who can look at the journal. They should have the record of the debit cards being swiped (I assume you still keep those cards) and should be able to trace what happened there. If they're not willing to help, call 1-800-Walmart and all of a sudden the store manager will be very helpful
Old Sep 7, 2013, 8:59 am

Programs: UNited American
I had a similar problem with walmart and a gift card. The first card went through to buy a money order. Second was emptied but was lost in the clouds. I talked to walmart money person the next day. Knew the time and register. She pulled up info in a few minutes. Told me it would take 72 hours to fix it. Called the giftcard line daily to see if money had been returned. They
Told me it would automatically return in 72 DAYS. I checked daily for six weeks. Finally they told me to file a dispute. Dispute form had to be faxed. Could not scan and attach. Once I filed the dispute, every time I tried to check on line, I was sent to customer service, which could tell me nothing. Had to send dispute form in two more times. Gave me a different tracking number each time. The original problem was June 2nd. Just got my money back about a week ago. So 11 weeks to resolve but I was successful. I WIll NEVER BUY ANOTHER META BANK GIFTCARD.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

metabank gc is not really the problem. I mean yeah they could have stupid rules. but the issue originated at WMT. I have seen them do similar dumb things with regular debit.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 12:12 pm

Anyone been able to get MOs at USPS with GCs? Last I remember, no one was able to...
Old Sep 7, 2013, 1:22 pm

Programs: UNited American
I think META was the absolute problem. Walmart found the problem quickly. Said they had run things past the meta people. Gave me contact info for their regional money center. Meta kept telling me to wait. Filled the report out over and over. They "lost" it repeatedly. The service people I spoke to told me conflicting things, wouldn't take the report. I spoke to the creditcard issuer about it and after I did paperwork with them that is when meta finally did something. But they dragged their feet plenty until the credit card issuer got involved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.