Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: markr33
Read the wiki before posting a question.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

The original FlyerTalk discussion thread is here: Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • BB loading via VR or WM load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.

UPdate Notice on Sept 15, 2014.
Some minor changes on the ATM limits and fees:
Out-of-Network ATM Fees:
Beginning October 30, 2014, the fee for withdrawing funds using out-of-network ATMs will increase from $2.00 to $2.50. ATM operator fees may also apply.
Free In-Network MoneyPass® ATMs:
Effective immediately, all Bluebird Customers can withdraw funds for free when using in-network MoneyPass ATMs. You can find one of the more than 24,000 MoneyPass ATMs below.
ATM Withdrawal Limits Increase:
We have increased your daily ATM limit, so you can withdraw up to $750 per day. Your monthly ATM withdrawal limit will remain at $2,000.

-----

•If you use Wal-Mart Savings Catcher, you can earn double rewards by redeeming to your BlueBird account <== Doubling of savings catcher amounts ended sometime in the summer of 2015.
Print Wikipost

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2014, 4:05 pm

this thread is filled with False Alarms all the time, i think we need to check our steps and make sure we did our homework before stating inaccurate information, just my 2 Cents.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by ninim2200
this thread is filled with False Alarms all the time, i think we need to check our steps and make sure we did our homework before stating inaccurate information, just my 2 Cents.
It's fine with me. If it's inaccurate, somebody will say so. & not spoonfeeding either. You have to extract useful information out.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
In no world is the target BB customer putting more than 5k on the card.
I normally wouldn't put more than 5k on it per month, but sometimes things just happen. Unexpected things.

Regarding target customers, I've been curious for months now about who Amex DOES target for its BB product. I've read that they want the unbanked. But why? The "unbanked" are un-banked for a reason... either they have very little income, or have illegal income, or are an illegal alien.

Why would any company target those types?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 4:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by styxfire
The "unbanked" are un-banked for a reason... either they have very little income, or have illegal income, or are an illegal alien.
This is not true. A lot of people are unbanked because ChexSystems sucks. Part of the reason the NY AG is going after them.

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/06/...-as-excessive/

Last edited by MileageAddict; Jul 29, 2014 at 9:32 pm Reason: removed obscenity
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:47 pm

I normally wouldn't put more than 5k on it per month, but sometimes things just happen. Unexpected things.

Regarding target customers, I've been curious for months now about who Amex DOES target for its BB product. I've read that they want the unbanked. But why? The "unbanked" are un-banked for a reason... either they have very little income, or have illegal income, or are an illegal alien.

Why would any company target those types?
Amex wants more people to use their rails. This is a Walmart product with the Amex logo, last I read.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by ZzzzX
Amex wants more people to use their rails. This is a Walmart product with the Amex logo, last I read.
This is a great point that I didn't even consider. Amex has traditionally been a product/service used by more well off people. Part of the reason you often see "lower end" establishments not accept it was because not as many people were trying to use them and since the costs were higher to the merchant they just didn't accept them. If you go an create a lot of products specifically aimed at a lower income class you suddenly have a lot more people wanting to use Amex products as establishments that historically didn't take them.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:19 am

Good strategy, I hope it works. I'm sick-n-tired of merchants refusing to accept Amex. But I don't think the "unbanked" will sway merchant decisions. Amex charges merchants too much... plain & simple.

On another note, I just received notice that my Walmart credit card is switching from Discover to MC.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, CC Gold, SPG Gold, AA Exec Platinum
Thankyou dboston for the reminder.

BB recently changed the daily limit, so I hope they'll consider upping the monthly limit too. I had a house disaster and my bills exceeded 5k this month, and will next month too.
Increase seems useless for me at least. For some reason the Walmart by me changed it to no split loads anymore so I can only load $500 a day which means wasting 10 days to load the full 5k..

I loaded with the person that use to load split 500's for me. Really pushing me to just use Serve..
Old Jul 30, 2014, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by payeco
It's calendar month, not statement to statement. Your load limit resets at midnight on the first of each month.
Thanks!
Old Jul 30, 2014, 3:12 pm

Justtony, very strange, there should be more consistency in loading rules! I wonder if you can load $500, go buy groceries, then return to the counter & load another $500?

Impatiently waiting 2 more days so I can put more money in my BB...
The rule is a little bit lame. BB won't be able to compete with true checking accounts when they tie their customers' hands like this.

I still don't understand the business model of catering solely to the "unbanked" and the "elite". The vast majority of folks are neither. It's like a clothing manufacturer making clothes only for women who are 4'11.5". Why constrict your potential customer base?
Old Jul 30, 2014, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by payeco
This is not true. A lot of people are unbanked because ChexSystems sucks. Part of the reason the NY AG is going after them.

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/06/...-as-excessive/
Very interesting article. I bet I'm listed in ChexSystems too! In the last 30 years, I've temporarily overdrawn my checking account a couple times. I've also had 2 derogatory items ($75 and $200) listed on my credit report, and one bank closed my checking account due to a negative balance which was solely derived from fees incurred after I thought I'd closed the account. I've had a total of 6 checking accounts, as I've moved around the country. Strange that I've never been declined by any bank.

I do have a huge record of successfully-paid-off bank loans, credit cards, & mortgages. Not sure how ChexSystems differentiates between bankable or non-bankable folks.

I cringe at the thought of one more BigBrother record-keeping system.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:47 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Are Vanilla cards the only ones that you cannot load at WM? Do other GC from grocery stores work?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 10:01 am

Programs: UA, HH
Originally Posted by agp423
Are Vanilla cards the only ones that you cannot load at WM? Do other GC from grocery stores work?
There is plenty of information in this thread and others to answer this. Other cards do work.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html
Old Aug 3, 2014, 1:19 am

I unloaded OV onto BB today via Kate, but it was painstakenly slow. A bunch at $40 or $45, twice at $95 (not in that order), numerous declines in-between, plus I took a break every 5 or 6 swipes to shop a little.

Sometimes error code 57, sometimes code 12. I couldn't see any rhyme/reason why some transactions went through & others didn't. Twice the machine seemed to pause midtransaction, for a lengthy time, and then printed a summary/reboot receipt and continued on. Never allowed me to zero out a OV.

Kate seems buggy, and behaves as if programmed in Pascal. Also won't do $15 transactions... apparently there's a minimum limit, but I didn't experiment what the min limit is, because I was there 90 minutes as it was.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 6:08 am

Also won't do $15 transactions... apparently there's a minimum limit, but I didn't experiment what the min limit is, because I was there 90 minutes as it was.
My Kate indicates the minimum transaction is $20. It displays on the screen after I start the loading transaction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.