Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2012, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!

Sounding the alarm again. Just went into my closest OD. They no longer have Visa/MC/Amex cards for any value over $100. All of the Amex prepaid cards are gone as well. Might want to go check your local one soon...
Old Dec 4, 2012, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Sounding the alarm again. Just went into my closest OD. They no longer have Visa/MC/Amex cards for any value over $100. All of the Amex prepaid cards are gone as well. Might want to go check your local one soon...
what about staples?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by webazoid
what about staples?
Staples has never had anything over $200. For that, I'd rather just buy fee free GCs to specific stores than pay $6.95 for 1035 UR points (an alright deal but not worth going out of the way for, if even at all). I was surprised that OD had dropped even the $200 ones...
Old Dec 4, 2012, 5:26 pm
BTA

Programs: Fly: AA EXP UA Gold MM Stay: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat Drive: Avis PC, Hertz PC
Hopefully this is not systemwide.

I purchased 2 Amex cards last night at my local OD. These were the $25-500 variety. I also saw Visa cards up to $500

Manager rung me up, and asked for ID, but was perfectly pleasant, and i didn't get any impression that there was a problem. SHe did say that credit cards are fine, but not gift cards for GC purchase.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 6:36 pm

Programs: A few
Can you please stop going to OfficeDepot? You are clearly cursed
Old Dec 4, 2012, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
LMAO
Old Dec 4, 2012, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zamboni Driver
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
LMAO
I plan to go again, they will prob go bankrupt the next day . At least now I have no reason to go to that depressing dump of a store. They don't have any worthwhile GCs that weren't Visa/MC/Amex/Amex PP/VR, Staples has a much better selection of other store gift cards.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 8:00 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Stoughton
As can I - up to 40 hours but beyond that, $0

People often talk about the 'value' of their time. Unless you're forgoing the opportunity to actually work and get paid for it, you're time is worth $0. I get paid a fixed salary and I'm not going to take a 2nd job, so the time I spend outside of work playing this game is essentialy worth nothing (in fiscal terms). Everything I "earn" while doing this becomes the monitary value of that time.
Time is never worth $0. I get value from spending time with my kids or relaxing and reading a book. Do you not?

The current BB program is moderately attractive (financially/travel-wise), depending on your travel patters...but you have to like the points game to do it. If you find it to be an effort, then move along to the next deal.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
I plan to go again, they will prob go bankrupt the next day . At least now I have no reason to go to that depressing dump of a store. They don't have any worthwhile GCs that weren't Visa/MC/Amex/Amex PP/VR, Staples has a much better selection of other store gift cards.
Hang on...let me call my broker....
Old Dec 4, 2012, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by webazoid
what about staples?
Staples in CT seems to max out at $200 cards.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 8:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by NYBanker
Time is never worth $0. I get value from spending time with my kids or relaxing and reading a book. Do you not?

The current BB program is moderately attractive (financially/travel-wise), depending on your travel patters...but you have to like the points game to do it. If you find it to be an effort, then move along to the next deal.
I said : (in fiscal terms)

Yes, I value time with my family, but it has no monetary value.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by Stoughton
I said : (in fiscal terms)

Yes, I value time with my family, but it has no monetary value.
I pay other people to do things for me so I can spend more time with my family.

This is a fun sport for me...but I do it in a way that doesn't take me away from the kids.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 8:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by NYBanker
I pay other people to do things for me so I can spend more time with my family.

This is a fun sport for me...but I do it in a way that doesn't take me away from the kids.
I honestly can't think of anything I could pay someone to do which would provide me more time with the family. Not being critical, just can't think of anything.

As for our hobby, aside form time spent here, I probably put in less than 10 min/day so in that respect, I make a pretty good hourly wage at it when you consider the return on that nominal investment. I suspect you do as well.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 2:04 am

Lost payment. How to deal with BB?

Has anybody ever seen a paper check from BB?
I sent $525 to my landlady (her address was the same as my own address). The delivery date shows Nov 29, and the transaction status is "Completed".
To initiate the transaction, I entered the name of my landlady and the address (as apparently no account number exists for my landlady). I expected BB to send a paper check, like what banks do when one uses their online bill payment to pay a person. However nothing has shown up in the mail box.

I called BB three times and they first advised me to wait till Friday (Nov 30), then Monday (Dec 3), then Tuesday (Dec 4). And now it Wednesday and no check yet. They didn't seem prepared or willing to address this issue in any other way rather than advising me to wait.
I spoke with my landlady and she confirmed that she didn't receive anything. I am concerned that they might have sent the money to somebody else's account. Or probably the check has been lost.

Any thought or comment as to how to deal with BB regarding this?

(I followed and benefited from all posts about VR and reloading the card. But that would be good if we can also talk about BB and its issues...)

Last edited by mizzou1; Dec 5, 2012 at 2:20 am
Old Dec 5, 2012, 3:38 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, and no status whatsoever on the airlines (!)
Okay, I sincerely apologize if I'm thrashing a dead horse that was already killed on page 42 of this thread (I've actually read the last 5 pages or so...), but... can some kind soul suggest how I can actually find these darn VR cards in the San Francisco Bay Area?!?

I have gone to 7 CVS stores and 5 Walgreens. None of the CVS had them, though I got sent on a wild goose chase to several of the CVS stores that supposedly had them. Not a single CVS employee has ever seen the card (I've shown them a picture of it on my phone). However, one CVS manager was fairly sure that "any day now, we're supposed to get them!" and pointed to a spot on the rack with the item number, just waiting for VR cards. 6 weeks later: no VR cards.

Walgreens: found VR cards at 2 of the 5 stores, both insisted "cash only."

Gah. Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can offer

P.S. -- Also tried 2 Valero gas stations and a Rite Aid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.