Wiki Posts
Search

F award seats release

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:50 am
Original Poster

F award seats release

Hi,

I'm looking at doing an F redemption on MH. However all days I've checked show only 1 seat in F available and I need two. Does MH only release one seat at the time so I could reasonably confidently book one seat with hopes of a second one being released?

Thanks
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
No. From experience they won't release more partner F award space even it's 1/8 close to departure. I highly doubt they'll get more generous when F is halved on the A350.

It's been quite some time since I heard of anyone getting more than 1 award seat with partner miles.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Thanks - not the best then. Back to the drawing board in that case. Availability to Asia is scarce over Xmas/NY - and hoped this would be the solution.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Can confirm they def release only 1 seat. I have travelled several times on a redemption and been the only person in the F cabin but no more seats have opened up.

It does however make it one of the best F in the sky, the entire F cabin on a A380 to yourself!
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:27 am

FWIW they generally won't release more Business U availability either, even if the cabin is wide open.

The CX regulars would be thrilled if Cathay were this restrictive with partner award space
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
I find MH's long-haul P/U inventory similar to QF. They will release P/U on almost every flight, but once it's gone, it's gone. For short-haul flights (especially on the 737s), they do release more U/X closer to departure but you rarely see U>2. It's better than before when long-haul flights maxes out at U=1. Now there are at least 2 Us available for long-haul.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Just thought I’d highlight what is probably a discrepancy but did find 2xF seats next week to KUL on the same flight. Didn’t book those in the end but it is possible. However that’s the only time I’ve ever seen it.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 3:41 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Any further update or changes on how they release award tickets for F or J? Rather strange that even with a nearly empty cabin, they do not release additional seats even 2 days before departure.
Why do they have this policy? [I would assume that they do get $$ from OW partners even though those seats were via miles]

I can understand if they don't want to decrease the value of the cabin, but adding 1-2 additional seats for award close to departure date should still not water down those cabins (especially on the A380 aircraft)

Cheers!
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by nldogbert
Any further update or changes on how they release award tickets for F or J? Rather strange that even with a nearly empty cabin, they do not release additional seats even 2 days before departure.
Why do they have this policy? [I would assume that they do get $$ from OW partners even though those seats were via miles]

I can understand if they don't want to decrease the value of the cabin, but adding 1-2 additional seats for award close to departure date should still not water down those cabins (especially on the A380 aircraft)

Cheers!
I checked with a friend working for MH in revenue ... and he said that MH only releases 1 award seat in F and four in J to OW and partner airlines. They will release the other seats to MH Platinum/Gold Enrich members only right up to flight departure. Preference is to their own members which is understandable.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:19 am

Programs: MH-Plat OWE, HH-Diamond, SPG-Plat, MR-Plat, IHG-PlatAmb
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I checked with a friend working for MH in revenue ... and he said that MH only releases 1 award seat in F and four in J to OW and partner airlines. They will release the other seats to MH Platinum/Gold Enrich members only right up to flight departure. Preference is to their own members which is understandable.
If you book a redemption ticket using MH's Enrich, you're booking into revenue inventory i.e. into A or F for First class, as an example; one effectively "pays" for the ticket with miles, with its price (in miles) depending on the actual revenue fare. As such, redemption bookings will always be available so long as revenue seats are available as they book into the same fare classes. OW and partner airlines' redemption tickets however will be booked into a specific P inventory (for First Class) at a fixed mileage price (as determined by the OW/partner airline), which isn't available for booking via Enrich. As such, I'm not too sure if your friend working in MH gave you accurate information about specially reserved "Enrich Platinum/Gold Awards" ala BAEC. I personally have never been privy to these reserved redemption seats.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by asheby
If you book a redemption ticket using MH's Enrich, you're booking into revenue inventory i.e. into A or F for First class, as an example; one effectively "pays" for the ticket with miles, with its price (in miles) depending on the actual revenue fare. As such, redemption bookings will always be available so long as revenue seats are available as they book into the same fare classes. OW and partner airlines' redemption tickets however will be booked into a specific P inventory (for First Class) at a fixed mileage price (as determined by the OW/partner airline), which isn't available for booking via Enrich. As such, I'm not too sure if your friend working in MH gave you accurate information about specially reserved "Enrich Platinum/Gold Awards" ala BAEC. I personally have never been privy to these reserved redemption seats.
I think that's what he meant .. of using revenue inventory reserved for Enrich members. Which is of course different from award inventory for OW and partners' availability.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:11 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Thanks.. understandable, but logical no...why fly a plane out with empty seats and not get some additional revenue from your partners if no Enrich members are on standby or wants those seats...

Cheers!
Old Jan 31, 2018, 2:36 pm

I think that's what he meant .. of using revenue inventory reserved for Enrich members. Which is of course different from award inventory for OW and partners' availability.
For further clarity, Enrich members access the regular revenue fare buckets (except Z/Q/O/G) when redeeming MH awards, regardless of status. Basically, when you can't redeem a seat, you probably can't buy a cash ticket either. I'm not aware of any special inventory for Plats/Golds mentioned by your friend.

Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:23 pm

From reading this thread, seems it’s possible to redeem using Enrich in revenue class but clock up Avios and TPs on BAEC?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:25 pm

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
From reading this thread, seems it’s possible to redeem using Enrich in revenue class but clock up Avios and TPs on BAEC?
Underlying fare basis will come up as non-earning on the other program.

Also to clarify, F, J and C are also blocked from miles redemption as the miles cost for these would be astronomical.

Enrich release P/U/X to partner airlines (as is standard with OW), but Enrich members themselves cannot redeem into these classes, meaning that - you're better off NOT earning Enrich miles if you want the cheapest redemptions flying MH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.