Wiki Posts
Search

Amalfi Coast

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2009, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Amalfi Coast

Has anyone been recently? Le Sirenuse looks nice, but the compact pool area is putting me off a bit. Palazzo Sasso is another option, but the photos on the website are not particularly appealing.

I have considered Capri, but recent posts have not been positive. Sicily too seems to lack any outstanding properties.

I am looking for great views, good food and a pool/beach area that isn't packed. Any suggestions?
Old Jul 6, 2009, 4:50 am
Suspended

Programs: mosttraveledpeople.com
I have been to Le Sirenuse, Positano and Quisisana, Capri some 5-6 years ago and I enjoyed both. Very romantic and characterful places.

Maybe nowadays the Hotel Caruso, Ravello or the JK Place, Capri are the better choices?

Have you thought about the Waldorf Astoria Rome? One of the best pool areas I have seen in a city hotel.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 6:07 am

New hotel in Sicily - just opened - HOTEL DE JEBEL - very small but very perfect.

Palazzo Sasso is better than its website suggests and the food is definitely superior to its neighbour, hotel Caruso (Orient-Express).
Old Jul 6, 2009, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Thank you. Yes, I saw the recommendation for the el Jebel in Gallivanter's Guide this month - will check it out. Which would you choose between JK Place, Palazzo Sasso and Le Sirenuse?
Old Jul 6, 2009, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by Londonjetsetter
Thank you. Yes, I saw the recommendation for the el Jebel in Gallivanter's Guide this month - will check it out. Which would you choose between JK Place, Palazzo Sasso and Le Sirenuse?
VERY different experiences. JK Place is quiet and isolated, so not somewhere you would go unless you wanted complete relaxation. Le Sirenuse is very traditional and perhaps a bit behind the times, but if you like the old fashioned way of doing things, then it works. Palazzo Sasso, if you get the right suite, the right view and the right balcony, is lovely.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 7:05 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I would also recommend Hotel Santa Caterina in Amalfi. I stayed there in a junior suite for 5 nights a few years ago and it was phenomenal. The hotel sits up on the cliff and you take an elevator down to the pool area. They also provide a free shuttle to the town of Amalfi.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 9:05 am
Aman Contributor Badge

At the Amalficoast we stayed in Santa Caterina di Amalfi (LHW) and San Pietro di Positano (Relais & Chateaux) during our honeymoon. It is already 11 years ago ( ) and even then I found the Amalficoast just too full of tourists compared to another trip there that I made during my time at the university (back in the early 90s). Still these two hotels made up for the crowdy impression being little oasis of quietness (full of honeymooners, though). And I still dream of the pasta with lemon sauce that we ate under a lemon three at Santa Caterina. But I guess this is too long ago to mean anything now, but I just had to dream back a little.

Other good hotel memories in Italy: Il Pelicano (Porto Ercole - Relais & Chateaux) and La Posta Vecchia (La Dispoli = coast outside Rome).
Old Jul 6, 2009, 1:58 pm

Villa Cimbrone (Ravello); Le Agavi (Positano) and Capri Lux hotels - recent views

I was in Capri, Positano and Ravello in May 2009 with my husband and lived in Italy for several years in the past, so know the area well. It is not mystery that in high season pools and what there is of rocky beaches and beach installations (pool clubs with meal service and changing facilities on the beach that may or may not be associated with particular hotels) will be croweded. Less so on weekdays, but if you object to sitting close to your neighbor on the beach the Amalfi Coast or Capri will be a problem.
For hotels, in Ravello Villa Cimbrone has the most beautiful position with very special gardens, a bit farther from town than the competition. Caruso has a nice pool, very quiet, but the current view includes a huge crane, Palazzo Sasso has the same view of the crane (admittedly with a gorgeous backdrop!)
We stayed most recently at the less-known Le Agavi in Positano. A bit out of town, but with a private rock covered beach, reached by funicular and an elevator that tunnels through the cliffside. There is a five minute free shuttle to Positano itself. Nice pool, high on the cliff and breathtaking views. Highly dated and eclectic decorating and electronics. If money were not an object I'd go for San Pietro over Sirenuese. Santa Caterina has nice management, but since Amalfi itself is overcroweded and not too nice you are really picking the hotel over the area.

I love Capri for its great walkability and like the Spa Palace in Anacapri (the secondary town), maybe now just called the Palace and the Cesar Augustus is nice - I haven't stayed there in years, but visited recently but the decks and pool area are large with good views. JK Palace is to me inconveniently located and shockingly expensive, but I haven't stayed there. Friends like the Punta Tragara in Capri, I haven't stayed there but the views are nice, pool area is small.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 2:21 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

And I have to add a restaurant recommendation as well: 2 Michelin star restaurant Don Alfonso 1890. One can stay there as well, but we did not do that, so I cannot comment. The food was, however, absolutely brilliant. And since it is located a bit away from other hotels, maybe one should stay the night after a fantastic dinner?

www.donalfonso.com
Old Jul 7, 2009, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your very helpful comments. I am really not sure what to do. Given that we do want total relaxation I am tending towards JK Place.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 5:32 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

I just returned this morning from 10 nights in Italy, and stayed at JK Capri, then the Hotel Caruso Ravello, and then finally the Villa Feltrinelli north on Lago di Garda. All 3 had very strong points, but Villa Feltrinelli was by far the best. But since you're not inquiring about that area, here's my quick take on JK Capri and Hotel Caruso:

JK Capri: I don't know that I felt its atmosphere was especially relaxing or remote--it's a 5-minute walk from the marina, and the road connecting the marina to Capri Town runs right alongside the property, so there was constant noise of cars and trucks when trying to relax at the pool. The road is screened from view by lovely oleander bushes, so it's not an eyesore, but being so close to the marina is a drawback, in my mind, as the lovely terrace overlooks, on one side, the gruny marina with its incoming ferries/hydrofoils (although its primary view is of the ocean--but not from a great height like some of the other Capri hotels). Service was so-so: having to remind staff 3 times to substitute still for sparkling water, etc. The public spaces are, as you can see from the Web site, gorgeously designed, and the terrace is a wonderful place to relax, with views of Vesuvius in the distance, when the air is clear. Underwhelming breakfast and dinner. Small gym. Nice but not spectacular room and bathroom (I was in one of the higher priced room categories.) So the aesthetic of the interior design, and the terrace, made it worth a visit to me, but I wouldn't return. The hotel will shuttle you to/from Capri Town whenever you wish. The views from the various villas (Villa San Michele; Villa Lysis) atop Capri's crags are thrilling, as are walks along the cliffs--so I was impressed with the beauty of the island, and am glad I went . . . but it was a one-time destination for me.

Hotel Caruso: Such a mixed bag. I found Ravello to be very quiet, peaceful, and relaxing. As was the hotel. The pool area is really lovely, as are the gardens, the walkways beneath pergolas, etc. The rooms, unlike JK Capri's, don't have much of an aesthetic bite to them, and would appeal to my grandmother more than to me (floral prints, wicker furniture . . . ). The breakfast was far more substantial and delicious than JK Capri's, although I'd agree with vuittonsofstyle that the dinners were uneven . . . excepting the consistently best gelati/sorbetti of the trip. So if you want to relax by the pool, or have more of an old-school grand hotel experience (a pianist in the lounge in the evenings), this might be a good choice. The service, while more polished than JK Capri's, was also far more uneven, with an appalling 1-hour wait to be seated for dinner (and we had a reservation . . . ), and breakfast not being removed from our bedroom after returning to the room in the evening.

So I was glad to have experienced both properties, but can't rave about either of them. Have you stayed at Villa Feltrinelli in Gargnano? If not, let me know, as I can definitely rave about it, which remains among my very favorite 2-3 hotels worldwide.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

im sure most here would appreciate more info on feltrinelli.

Raffles' report - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...li-review.html

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 7, 2009 at 5:55 pm
Old Jul 7, 2009, 6:59 pm
BLV

I'll be going for a third consecutive stay at Il San Pietro this August, which doesn't compare to Le Sirenuse because:

It has its own beach, tennis court and property is just outstanding, resort-like, unlike Le Sirenuse that has nothing going for it, except for its atmosphere at night and maybe La Sponda.

If you want photos of ISP, PM me and I'll give you the link because photos on their website don't do the place justice.

I see someone mentioned Caesar Augustus. We checked out after first night.

As far as Palazzo Sasso, I'd say it all depends on how many nights you're planning on spending in Ravello. It's a tiny town atop a hill that leaves you stranded because the way down is really a looong way down and you can see everything in 2 hrs and I would never see myself staying there longer than a night. So if you're just going for the sea/sun/beach/pool/food, I'd say just do Il San Pietro and then have them arrange for Capri, Ravello and everything else IF you'll feel like leaving at all

Last edited by BLV; Jul 7, 2009 at 7:07 pm
Old Jul 7, 2009, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by BLV
I'll be going for a third consecutive stay at Il San Pietro this August, which doesn't compare to Le Sirenuse because:

It has its own beach, tennis court and property is just outstanding, resort-like, unlike Le Sirenuse that has nothing going for it, except for its atmosphere at night and maybe La Sponda.

Well...to each his own. I found San Pietro inconvenient as it was a long walk to town and I didn't care for the smell of the rooms and the restaurant but I do know that a lot of people like it.

Le Sirenuse is in town, a nice walk down to the beach, the rooms are smaller than San Pietro, the pool is not large but neither is it crowded, the food is excellent and the people are very nice. I have always been happy there.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 2:23 am
Original Poster

Thanks again. This is very useful. I just had a call from some friends of ours who are staying at the Capri Palace and were in Puglia with us last week. They said the contrast between the very Italian feel of Puglia and the cruise ship nature of Capri is shocking! I am thinking of avoiding the entire area altogether and staying at Villa Feltrinelli instead. Any advice on that property would be much appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.