Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One & Only Capetown

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2009, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
One & Only Capetown

O&O is opening a new property in Capetown. Originally it was scheduled to open in October, but they recently announced plans to open in April. This means I am able to stay here when I travel to Capetown in June.

I am currently booked at Cape Grace, but since their website has been down for months, I have very little information about it other than everyone says it's the "best" in the city.

I've never been to a One & Only, but I understand they tend to get among the highest ratings in any market they enter.

Anyone with o&o experience think I should ditch the Cape Grace and take a chance on One & Only. Anyone have more info on o&o besides what their website says?
Old Jan 26, 2009, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trojanman
...Anyone have more info on o&o besides what their website says?
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
AND, Kerzner, being South African, should cope quite well, security-wise, with the rocketing crime rate in Cape Town, which appears to be scaring even the local hacks. Keep your car doors locked at all times, folks.
if virtuoso/etc adds them, upgrade potential is not bad >
$645 - island jr suite 75m2 > $1090 - marina jr suite 125m2
$1485 - 2BR island suite 145m2 > $2480 - 2BR table mountain suite 245m2

ratecard on OO site is from may 7.

http://www.eprop.co.za/news/article....dArticle=11028
[Kerzner] said the resort was already accepting reservations and expected the first guests in by April 3.
GM >
http://www.zoominfo.com/Search/Perso...onID=860684008

gordon ramsay restaurant >
http://www.hotelsmag.com/article/CA6629591.html

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=245
- There is a tunnel system running below the canals from the hotel to the island for services including the "golf cart transfer" of your luggage.
- The spa features a pool which releases millions of bubbles of air from the bottom allowing you to "float" in the pool.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=196
interesting renderings, including some hotel/residence plans

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 28, 2009 at 1:04 pm
Old Jan 26, 2009, 9:40 pm

Programs: DL PM; Marriott Rewards Gold; Amex Platinum
My wife and I have stayed at the Cape Grace and it is simply wonderful in every respect. Not flashy or trendy, but the service is the best and you cannot beat the location. The free BMW house car pickup and dropoff anywhere in the city is the deal clincher to me!
Old Jan 27, 2009, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I'm also pondering this one, as I've got a long weekend in Cape Town booked for November and am sitting on a Cape Grace reservation at present. All feedback welcome when it opens! There was a promo video for the property playing on the TV at Reethi Rah last week but all of the images shown were the same sketches as on the website.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
I'm also pondering this one, as I've got a long weekend in Cape Town booked for November and am sitting on a Cape Grace reservation at present. All feedback welcome when it opens! There was a promo video for the property playing on the TV at Reethi Rah last week but all of the images shown were the same sketches as on the website.
Cape Grace is OK, but not amazing. I am a fan of the tiny Ellerman House, but next time I go to Capetown, I will definitely try O&O. They were in the process of doing a rather nice spa there, but since their Dubai investors, Naheel, bought a big stake in O&O and in Espa, I hear the spa will be Espa, so nothing special.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
Once again, thanks for the help Kage!

I am seriously leaning towards changing my reservation now...Virtuoso agent says their application is "pending", but I'm guessing it will be a Virtuoso property by June when I stay there.

Current rates from my Virtuoso agent are:

Tower Room - US$543
Island Jr. Suite - US$643

No other rates were immediate available to her.

Now the big question is, do I stay in the Tower, overlooking table mountain? Or do I stay on the lushly landscaped private island - no view, but amazing surroundings.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 5:04 am

Programs: BA BD SA
As I look out of my window I can see the O&O - or rather the building site where it will be. It does not look to me like it should be taking bookings for April! The whole thing is still shrouded in scaffolding and there are no exterior walls as yet.

I would need to be convinced about those island rooms. Firstly it's not clear to me exactly how nice the islands are going to be. I can't actually see them from here (must go to Bascule and do a recce). But from the diagram they are jammed in between buildings on pretty much all sides (the big one at the end might have a more expansive view). And they share the island with the pool which will be used by all the hotel guests. Sounds more gimmicky than practical to me, but maybe I will be proved spectacularly wrong.

The rooms look great in general and they are certainly vast given where the hotel is being shoehorned in. The facilities also sound wonderful. But as everyone knows it's the quality of service that ultimately matters - especially in SA where we have very variable standards. I wonder who the manager is going to be. He/she will be a major factor in making or breaking this hotel's reputation.

As much as there is a temptation to try a new luxe place, I'd say that unless there are good opening offers the safe route is to stick with the Cape Grace for now and try the facilities at O&O (it's literally a stone's throw away) until more information comes in.

Closer to the time if anyone wants specific information feel free to PM me and I'll wander down there and get it for you.

Last edited by Cheetah_SA; Jan 28, 2009 at 5:09 am Reason: sp.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
I wonder who the manager is going to be.

construction pic from jan 3 >
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=256

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 28, 2009 at 11:10 am
Old Jan 28, 2009, 10:15 am

GM of O&O Capetown

Gerard Sintes used to be GM of O&O Le Saint Geran, so is a long-time O&O manager. Nice guy, although I wonder how he will cope with the staffing problems in Capetown.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Gerard Sintes used to be GM of O&O Le Saint Geran, so is a long-time O&O manager. Nice guy, although I wonder how he will cope with the staffing problems in Capetown.
looks like
1991 > 1999 SL
1999 > 2005 OO le saint geran
2005 > 2008 SL BKK (VP for thailand/myanmar)
Old Jan 28, 2009, 12:39 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
Very interesting pic! Right now as I train my binoculars on the site it is all in darkness.

Anyway, I see Sol has personally checked that they can open on 3 April, so things must be in better shape than they look from my house. Will definitely go and do a recce from close up soon.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Update:

I am booked, and my Virtuoso agent has already made some tour arrangements via the Revenue Manager, Klaus. O&O Capetown subs out their tours to "Jalat Tours." The tour prices seem quite reasonable, especially when compared to European operators.

See below for some samples:

Transfer CIA - One and Only (from a/port to hotel) R 690

Half Day City Tour R 2 250

Full Day Cape Point Tour R 2 750

Half Day Winelands and Transfer to Le Residence R 2 500
Old Feb 28, 2009, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

theyre offering a package that includes confirmed upgrade (worth $100/nt) from marina room to island jr suite on a 7 nt stay, with 4 nts at OO capetown, and 3 nts at singita south africa. looks like you can book the package through virtuoso. its avail apr 3 > sept 30. code is "OOSIN".
http://www.oneandonlyresorts.com/upl...CT_Singita.PDF
Old Feb 28, 2009, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I really enjoyed my stay at the Cape Grace, but it is not exciting. It is not flashy. It is a traditional hotel in the British style. If that appeals to you as it does to me, book the Cape Grace.

I had room service twice. Exceptional!
Old Mar 2, 2009, 2:29 am

Programs: Qantas, BA gold, SPG gold
Just to update some of the earlier comments:

The One & Only opens definitely on April 3.

They are still finishing the building, but then they build rapidly in South Africa. What takes time is ironing out all the little defects and snags.

The cost of excursions does NOT seem reasonable to me. For instance, the Cape Grace charges R480 for the airport-hotel transfer (by chauffeur-driven BMW7series) versus the R690 quoted for the O&O

I agree that the islands seem oddly placed and will have no views.

I'm a repeat long-stay visitor at the Cape Grace. The staff are great, and security is very good (tight but discreet), but recent changes are not to my liking.

The rooms have been redecorated (poorly) in a prison-cell grey-colour, sponged bare walls, and lots of old junk furniture has been dotted around the public spaces.

Bizarrely for a hot country, they've put leather on the chairs and bedheads. Seating in the restaurant is generally uncomfortable: thinly padded, hard leather banquettes or Philippe Starck Louis Ghost chairs.

Food is adequate but not great. The breakfast buffet was magnificent, but from the start of 2009 they've done away with it and you now order off a menu - breakfast is fine but no better than in any other good hotel.

What was an elegant hotel has been badly cheapened IMO. I find it odd that they used an interior decorator whose ideas would have seemed very stylish 15-20 years ago.

Only 2 positives remain: the free courtesy (BMW7series) car service around the central areas, and the excellent service.

Cetainly, on my next visit I'll try the O&O

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.