Suggestions in San Diego Area

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestions in San Diego Area

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2008, 4:41 pm

Programs: Welfare
Totally agree, the Hyatt and Marriott are geared towards the conference and convention crowd who most likely won't be spending a lot of time in their room or on the property although the Marriott does have a nice pool area.

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I honestly can't recommend the Manchester Grand Hyatt in the luxury hotel forum. Yes, it does have spectacular views as it sits on the downtown waterfront. And it is an easy walk to San Diego's Gaslamp Quarter. But it is a large conference hotel, adjacent to San Diego's convention center, with the indifferent service hotels tend to give who don't depend on repeat guests. We booked a night there last December, during Hyatt's Faster Free Night earn period. I am a Hyatt Diamond, so should get the best possible service and room. My room was tiny, with a small window. And service was inexcreble. We went home and slept in our own bed. There is a lengthy thread in the Hyatt forum with more information about the hotel.

The hotel might work well for the OP's conference nights. But I wouldn't chose it for the days past the conference.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 9:39 pm

Programs: Continental, United, AA
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Rancho Valencia resort & Spa would be my choice - 49 suites, beautiful gardens and very romantic, with great views of surrounding Rancho Santa Fé. Some of the suites are looking a bit tired, so ask for a refurbished one.
+1 Rancho Valenica is tops.
Old Oct 18, 2008, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
I honestly can't recommend the Manchester Grand Hyatt in the luxury hotel forum. Yes, it does have spectacular views as it sits on the downtown waterfront. And it is an easy walk to San Diego's Gaslamp Quarter. But it is a large conference hotel, adjacent to San Diego's convention center, with the indifferent service hotels tend to give who don't depend on repeat guests. We booked a night there last December, during Hyatt's Faster Free Night earn period. I am a Hyatt Diamond, so should get the best possible service and room. My room was tiny, with a small window. And service was inexcreble. We went home and slept in our own bed. There is a lengthy thread in the Hyatt forum with more information about the hotel.
The Manchester Hyatt is one of the most supremely mediocre and low value-for-money places I have ever stayed at. On the other hand, I have also stayed at the Grand Del Mar, and I have to agree with MichaelColey, it is top notch, especially the rooms and physical plant. Service is also tops, although the restaurant staff can be a bit slow. Reminds me of the fine hotels in Asia in their attention to detail. Acca Kappa toiletries and JW Blue in the minibar, so you get the idea. The place is pretty much deserted, so you can have run of the hotel, including the "secret" pool in one of the wings right off the spa, which was always empty. Not cheap, though, but I was very favorably impressed overall.

The irony of it all is that the Grand Del Mar and the Manchester are owned by the same guy, Papa Doug Manchester, a self-promoting hard-core Republican reactionary Real Estate mogul. Photographs of him and his lily-white country-club family posing with assorted Republicans are all over the lobby at the Manchester, and, in keeping with the Del Mar's more upscale tone, limited to a discreet hall in the restaurant floor.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 12:16 pm

Grand Del Mar - San Diego

Any recent experiences at the Grand Del Mar in San Diego?

any idea what the FHR upgrade path might be?

Thanks!
Old Feb 1, 2013, 5:50 am

has anyone stayed at the newly renovated Rancho Valencia Resort? how does it compare with the Grand del Mar?
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by KrazeeJoe
has anyone stayed at the newly renovated Rancho Valencia Resort? how does it compare with the Grand del Mar?
It is not just renovated, it also has entirely new owners, so essentially it will be a different hotel. I have not stayed since the owner change, but it is a beautiful property in a great location.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:41 am
Community Director Emerita

I wonder how La Valencia is. La Valencia is in the heart of the charming village of La Jolla. It is one block up from the ocean, with a spectacular panoramic view. The walk along the ocean is beautiful, from the children's cove now taken over by sea lions, to the beautifully landscaped frontage further north. The hotel is immediately adjacent to high end galleries and stores as well as a broad range of restaurants. The Museum of Contemporary Art is 4 blocks away.

Grand Del Mar has sweeping grounds in suburbia. It has extensive grounds with space for its own golf course, lots of tennis courts, and large swimming pools. Views are what we call "back country" - rolling, semi arid land with its own beauty. If you are planning to do a lot of sightseeing, then the Grand has much quicker freeway access. It can be a slow drive from downtown La Jolla to the freeway.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Feb 1, 2013 at 12:36 pm Reason: Mistakenly attributed La Valencia description to Rancho Valencia
Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:06 am

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
I think rancho Valencia is the best property in the San Diego area. I know the new owners and their intention is to make it better and better! I highly recommend although I have not been since the renovation was completed. Will be there again in April.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 5:09 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're right. I was thinking of La Valencia. I'll edit above.
I was there years ago so my information may be dated but I thought it was more like an overpriced B&B than a real hotel, let alone a luxury hotel. Nice area though!
Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:26 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
I would pick Rancho Valencia ove the Grand Del Mar unless I was a serious golfer. Rancho Valencia is a lovely little resort. I would try to book one of the brand new fractional villas they have built in the last few years. They are gorgeous. You might be able to find one on VRBO or through Timbers who manages them. It would be great fun to share one of those with another couple or family.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 4:43 pm
Community Director Emerita

Fairmont is going to manage the Grand Del Mar.

The luxurious property, which will be rebranded as the Fairmont Grand Del Mar, has received plenty of recognition throughout the years. The resort has been named a Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star property every year since 2012, and a AAA Five-Diamond property every year since 2009. In 2014, the resort was praised as the No. 1 hotel in the United States in the TripAdvisor Travelers’ Choice Awards.

Under a long-term management agreement, Fairmont will oversee day-to-day operations of the San Diego icon, while private equity firm Blum Capital stakes majority ownership of the resort. Manchester Financial Group and Fairmont’s parent company, FRHI Hotels & Resorts (FRHI), will both hold a minority interest in the AAA Five-Diamond hotel.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 8:29 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Interesting. That resort seems too nice to be a Fairmont.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 9:25 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Agree with Pickles' assessment of Doug Manchester up thread.

This is part of the back story of the Grand and the Manchester holdings.

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2...di-fis-hubby/#
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:58 pm

And I'll chime in and agree with ValveKing - really enjoyed our long weekend at Rancho Valencia last year celebrating our anniversary.
Old May 4, 2015, 6:13 pm
Original Member

Recent experiences at Rancho Valencia welcome. Considering a May or June respite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.