Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New York: Which luxury hotel with kids?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2008, 2:57 pm
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

We will be there in June next year - planning ahead!

Spacy room and central location is priority. Pool would be great.

In terms of budget, I guess $ 1.000 per night would be the maximum, dependent on the development of the $ of course. Within this budget, we could stay at the 5 * hotels, but need to settle for a normal room (not a suite) in the very top ones, which is not optimal given that we travel with our son who goes to bed around 8 o' clock and is a light sleeper.

In some hotels with real big bathrooms or walk in closets (like FS in Asia), we have been able to put a travel bed in these areas so that we can use the other room after he has fallen asleep, but mostly it looks as if hotels in NY does not have this kind of space. It might therefore be that we will need to look for a suite in a slightly cheaper hotel.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 3:16 pm
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

FS Deluxe room would be very good, but is 1.250 $ incl. taxes. We could have a park or executive suite (both with separate living room) in the Trump for 850/750 $. Sounds a lot more tempting, though I really wanted to stay at the FS given very positive experiences for the whole family at other FS properties.

AKA has great value as well I can see.

Last edited by Musken; Jun 29, 2008 at 3:41 pm
Old Jun 29, 2008, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

not sure what your dates are..

trump upgrades to top at least via FHR, if not via virtuoso as well. the base room used to have ~20% discount via FHR, IIRC no other discounts.

DavidO said he got a confirmed 2 category upgrade at FS once for a client. (edit - on a weekend)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 29, 2008 at 4:01 pm
Old Jun 29, 2008, 7:26 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Sounds like the Trump (w/kitchenette) might be a better fit. I agree with Driving Rain that the convenience of little things like a microwave beats kiddie robes if you have kids with you - although it might not matter so much for a 6 year old.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 5:42 am

Trump v FS

Originally Posted by grumbler
Sounds like the Trump (w/kitchenette) might be a better fit. I agree with Driving Rain that the convenience of little things like a microwave beats kiddie robes if you have kids with you - although it might not matter so much for a 6 year old.
A kitchenette is no replacement for great service. Do we think that Trump gives as good service as FS?
Old Jun 30, 2008, 6:57 am

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
IMO, Trump is one of those places that gets overlooked by hotel devotees because of the negative impact of the Trump "brand name".

But this property is truly a 5* with the commensurate level of service for that elite category.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(kitchens >)

there were a few mixed reports here for trump recently. but IIRC the only property that doesnt have anything negative here is the (boutique) lowell. hmm, lowell seems to have a lot of kitchens. maybe thats something for OP to consider as well.

also, another way to save money at trump is to do a private rental.

carlyle is also a favorite for some here, superior suite is cheapest with kitchen(ette), from ~$1200.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 5, 2008 at 4:03 pm
Old Jun 30, 2008, 8:57 am

the Lowell

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
there were a few mixed reports here for trump recently. but IIRC the only property that doesnt have anything negative here is the (boutique) lowell. hmm, lowell seems to have a lot of kitchens. maybe thats something for OP to consider as well.

also, another way to save money at trump is to do a private rental.
The Lowell is one of my favourites in NY but I always think it is better for couples than families, although it does of course have little kitchens as it is a mostly suite hotel. Very European and homely.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
A kitchenette is no replacement for great service. Do we think that Trump gives as good service as FS?
Do you have kids ?
Old Jul 2, 2008, 7:35 am

Funnily enough, we are in an almost identical situation: husband's conference at the Waldorf (YUCK hotel, by the way) and travelling from overseas with an 8 year old. I'm looking at either the Alex (kitchenettes in suites) and The London. Alex is better location for the Waldorf, but I like the funky look of the London. And both fit in the budget you have, if not even under. Our trip is in October, so I'll let you know.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 8:00 am

Kids?

Originally Posted by grumbler
Do you have kids ?
Sure, but she's 35!
Old Jul 2, 2008, 8:48 am

Programs: SPG Gold
There's also the Plaza Athenee which his this kids package:

Pillow and Penguins Children's Package
(Available for children 14 or under)

Accommodations for two adults and up to two children in two connecting rooms
(Add $40 per rollaway bed - up to three people maximum per room.)
Continental breakfast daily for two adults and special children's menu for up to two children
Children's gift bag including a New York taxi, New York coloring book, crayons, Yankee's baseball cap, plush penguin, and other gift items.
Up to 4 tickets to the Central Park Zoo, 1 block away from the hotel.
10% off Lunch or Dinner at Mars 2112 Restaurant
Milk and cookies at turndown
Rates and Validity dates are as follows:

January 1 - December 31, 2008
$1,180 for two connecting King bedded rooms
$2,100 for an Executive Two Bedroom suite

Package price is per night, does not include taxes and is subject to availability.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by thorthor
There's also the Plaza Athenee which his this kids package:

Pillow and Penguins Children's Package
(Available for children 14 or under)

Accommodations for two adults and up to two children in two connecting rooms
(Add $40 per rollaway bed - up to three people maximum per room.)
Continental breakfast daily for two adults and special children's menu for up to two children
Children's gift bag including a New York taxi, New York coloring book, crayons, Yankee's baseball cap, plush penguin, and other gift items.
Up to 4 tickets to the Central Park Zoo, 1 block away from the hotel.
10% off Lunch or Dinner at Mars 2112 Restaurant
Milk and cookies at turndown
Rates and Validity dates are as follows:

January 1 - December 31, 2008
$1,180 for two connecting King bedded rooms
$2,100 for an Executive Two Bedroom suite

Package price is per night, does not include taxes and is subject to availability.
Milk and cookies at turndown ? I could use that !
Old Jul 6, 2008, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by DrivingRain
My knee jerk reaction to this is Trump, but I havent stayed there with kids there so you'd best wait to hear of others' experiences...
I stayed at the Trump with my daughter when she was about two or three (five or six years ago) and they took very good care of us. (Four example, with our permission they delivered milk and cookies promptly after we checked in.)

Of course that was five or six years ago and things could have changed. (The $750 rate for a two bedroom park view suite certainly has changed!). In a similar timeframe, we stayed at the Four Seasons, and none of the promised children's amenities materialized. (Of course, being the Four Seasons, a politely worded complaint resulted in a written apology and a complimentary weekend stay! I'd be shocked if the problems we complained about have not been rectified.)
Old Jul 7, 2008, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Blumie
I stayed at the Trump with my daughter when she was about two or three (five or six years ago) and they took very good care of us. (Four example, with our permission they delivered milk and cookies promptly after we checked in.)

Of course that was five or six years ago and things could have changed. (The $750 rate for a two bedroom park view suite certainly has changed!). In a similar timeframe, we stayed at the Four Seasons, and none of the promised children's amenities materialized. (Of course, being the Four Seasons, a politely worded complaint resulted in a written apology and a complimentary weekend stay! I'd be shocked if the problems we complained about have not been rectified.)
This is the kind of little stuff that is not a problem for most normal properties, but if, like FS, you build your brand on premium service, advertise the amenities as a feature of the property/service, and then fail to deliver (though no one is perfect), small glitches like this are bad. You shouldn't have had to spend your time writing the complaint !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.