Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2015, 9:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

Mandarin Oriental is excellent these days in terms of overall service ....
Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
I was at the Pen, but went over to the Oriental to eat. I saw no hint of a dress code. I was dressed in khaki shorts and was not hassled.
Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
+1
I stayed at the MO Bangkok last Summer with my young brother and we thoroughly enjoyed the hotel and facilities. No strange look from staff or older clients even if we were not wearing jacket & tie for dinner. Actually as soon as you wear a proper attire nobody cares.
Well, Kurt Wachtveitl has been retired for several years now, thankfully, so it appears they've moved into the 21st century
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:57 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Today is the day! Four Seasons Bangkok to become Anantara Siam Bangkok in March 2015: http://theshutterwhale.boardingarea....in-march-2015/
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:06 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
The Sukhothai Bangkok has left The Leading Hotels of the World.
As of now, the Okura Prestige Bangkok is the only LHW member hotel left in Bangkok. ^
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by uggboy
The Sukhothai Bangkok has left The Leading Hotels of the World.
As of now, the Okura Prestige Bangkok is the only LHW member hotel left in Bangkok. ^
Who cares? Virtually all of the city's best hotels are Virtuoso properties and/or participate in other similar consortia. This usually means better value added benefits, and one does not need to pay for leaders club membership.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 12:36 pm

Who cares? Virtually all of the city's best hotels are Virtuoso properties and/or participate in other similar consortia. This usually means better value added benefits, and one does not need to pay for leaders club membership.
We care.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Coudn´t say it better....
Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:06 pm

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
2 nights in Bangkok in May.. I can get the Sukhothai Executive Suite for £115/night (with discount code applied). Seems like a good deal. Before I book, will I get a better deal elsewhere?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:54 pm

We care.
For earning LC free nights on inexpensive stays? That's the only reason I can think of

For that, Banyan Tree would have been the least expensive, as sometims lead in rooms had sub-$100 rates. No longer lhw IIRC.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 2:59 am

For earning LC free nights on inexpensive stays? That's the only reason I can think of

For that, Banyan Tree would have been the least expensive, as sometims lead in rooms had sub-$100 rates. No longer lhw IIRC.
It's not only to get a free night with us, it's also about the quality which LHW stands for, can deliver and actually does deliver. We enjoyed our stay at the Banyan Tree Bangkok and highly recommend this luxury hotel, an urban oasis in the heart of this fascinating city. We would love to stay there again in our future.

Yes, Banyan Tree left LHW a few years ago. Now, at this time only the Okura Prestige BKK is a member of LHW. We hope that LHW can grow in BKK and Thailand as a whole again. ^

See also our review here on FT:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...nyan-tree.html

Last edited by uggboy; Mar 6, 2015 at 3:06 am
Old Mar 6, 2015, 3:47 am

I have spoken with a former employee of BT BKK, who told me back of the house was very poorly kept, dirty, and infested with cockroaches.

By all accounts the back of the house facilities at Mandarin Oriental and The Peninsula are pristine.

Some independent hotels and resorts or those that are part of very small hotel groups can benefit from LHW as a marketing alliance; however IMO LHW these days is largely irrelevant to hotels that are part of major hotel groups like Dorchester, Peninsula, etc...

Now that Unlimited no longer provides confirmed upgrades, there is even less of a reason to pay for that status.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 4:10 am

I have spoken with a former employee of BT BKK, who told me back of the house was very poorly kept, dirty, and infested with cockroaches.

By all accounts the back of the house facilities at Mandarin Oriental and The Peninsula are pristine.

Some independent hotels and resorts or those that are part of very small hotel groups can benefit from LHW as a marketing alliance; however IMO LHW these days is largely irrelevant to hotels that are part of major hotel groups like Dorchester, Peninsula, etc...

Now that Unlimited no longer provides confirmed upgrades, there is even less of a reason to pay for that status.
Maybe the employee was disgruntled, couldn't find any evidence of this during our stay, OK, I haven't really looked at the "back of the house" but every area we visited or encountered seemed to be well kept and beautiful, from the Spa, our Club room, Club Lounge, Rooftop Bar / Restaurant or their BMW 7 limousine from the airport. Of course for the big name luxury chains incl. Dorchester or Peninsula, LHW doesn't play a role anymore, they've grown now on their own and have their following around the world, but what about The Sukhothai which isn't part of a "branded chain", this hotel has now left LHW too, I wonder why? On the other side, a hotel such as the Grandhotel Hessischer Hof in Frankfurt belongs to Preferred Hotels and LHW. While some others "hopping" between such affiliations incl. from R&C to SLH or from LHW to WorldHotels or Preferred. Interesting times for such consortias, now, I look forward to find out for what they stand for and which hotels they can draw into their "memberships" which evidently are also "stamps of approval and quality". Cheers.

Last edited by uggboy; Mar 6, 2015 at 4:18 am
Old Mar 6, 2015, 4:32 am

Maybe the employee was disgruntled, couldn't find and evidence of this.
I don't think so. I know the I know the former BT employee, who is now hapily employed at The Peninsula, quite well. She would not lie, and had no reason to deride BT as she knows I am a loyal Peninsula guest and would never stay at BT. Her comments about the excellent work environment at The Peninsula dovetail with what other long term Peninsula staff members have told me.

Anyhow, LHW does have many great properties. I don't know why Sukhothai would drop LHW either. I can only imagine that membership fees were high, and perhaps they found that LHW as a marketing alliance was not adding enough value for them to justify continued membership.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 5:39 am

I don't think so. I know the I know the former BT employee, who is now hapily employed at The Peninsula, quite well. She would not lie, and had no reason to deride BT as she knows I am a loyal Peninsula guest and would never stay at BT. Her comments about the excellent work environment at The Peninsula dovetail with what other long term Peninsula staff members have told me.

Anyhow, LHW does have many great properties. I don't know why Sukhothai would drop LHW either. I can only imagine that membership fees were high, and perhaps they found that LHW as a marketing alliance was not adding enough value for them to justify continued membership.
Thanks for your insights, very appreciated.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 9:35 pm

Programs: HH Gold, DL Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by pogonation
2 nights in Bangkok in May.. I can get the Sukhothai Executive Suite for £115/night (with discount code applied). Seems like a good deal. Before I book, will I get a better deal elsewhere?
That's a very good deal. I'm just wondering if you could share what code and OTA have been used. I plan to stay at Sukhothai in this June but cannot get the rate that quite cheap. Does it include breakfast?
Old Mar 12, 2015, 9:06 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Khwamsuk
That's a very good deal. I'm just wondering if you could share what code and OTA have been used. I plan to stay at Sukhothai in this June but cannot get the rate that quite cheap. Does it include breakfast?
Used ebookers (there was already a 50% sale) and then used the code APP15 on the booking app on my iPhone to get a further 15% off. Breakfast would have cost an extra £15/day. Makes more sense for me to book room only as will want a lie in/eat elsewhere

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.