Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Tipping at Amanresorts (and Four Seasons)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2004, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amanjunkie, LH SEN

Staying first time at Amanresorts (Amankila and Amanjiwo), Begawan Giri and at FS Jimbaran in Bali, I have the following question:

What is the usual form and amount of tipping at these High-Service resorts, where staff is assisting, bringing, smiling and helping 10 or 20 times a day?

Tipping every staff member for every drink, towel, advice and smile, tipping a big total amount (how much?) at the end of the stay "for the staff" (any danger this will be pocketed in by the hotel or the cashier?!?) or not tipping at all, because there will be 10% service charge added to the bill at the end anyway?

Any advice would be very nice!
Old Dec 6, 2004, 5:48 pm

tipping

Originally Posted by deer
Staying first time at Amanresorts (Amankila and Amanjiwo), Begawan Giri and at FS Jimbaran in Bali, I have the following question:

What is the usual form and amount of tipping at these High-Service resorts, where staff is assisting, bringing, smiling and helping 10 or 20 times a day?

Tipping every staff member for every drink, towel, advice and smile, tipping a big total amount (how much?) at the end of the stay "for the staff" (any danger this will be pocketed in by the hotel or the cashier?!?) or not tipping at all, because there will be 10% service charge added to the bill at the end anyway?

Any advice would be very nice!
Amankila give ten dollars to the guy on the beach when he sets up your bale the first day and ten to the guy who sets you up buy the triple tire pool. thats about it there unless someone does something amazing for you which will happen.
Amanjiwo tip the guy who drives you elephant five dollars and again when you use the pool on your first day give them ten dollars.
At Begawan Giri if Sumatra is your butler then you will feel like giving him all the money you have becouse he is so amazing. Also if you have breakfast down by The Source(spa) and you should tip the person who caries down your food and beverage on their head 300 steps at least 5 USD $
All the services and F&B have a 21% service and tax which really adds up so you won't feel the need or want to tip when you get the bill!
Have the best time!!!
Old Dec 6, 2004, 10:03 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Don't tip unless you speak English with an American accent.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 4:36 am

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
Originally Posted by daniellam
Another five-star contribution. Thanks so much!
Old Dec 7, 2004, 8:39 am

Hillarious....
You said what I was thinking in a bit more witty manner.....
:-: :-: :-: :-: :-:
Old Dec 7, 2004, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amanjunkie, LH SEN
Is this a Canada vs. USA insider-joke - or do you really mean it, in a sense that Aman/Begawan/FS is expensive enough including the 10% service charge so that it is "uncool" to handle around with lousy tips?
Old Dec 7, 2004, 9:30 am

tipping

I have heard that while in Cambodia and was told by my british friend how I was ruining it for the "rest of us" by tipping those who looked after us. I think he was just cheap! I guess you never waited tables or cleaned somone else's toilet. Tip them they don't get paid alot.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 10:17 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Zigzag, I agree with your British friend: tipping by a few (apparently this few consists almost exclusively of American tourists) ruins the travel experience for the rest of us.

There is a 10% service charge, and the OP wants to tip additionally? Not necessary, and not a good trend to start. As a general hint for any travel anywhere, including the US, if the merchant includes a service charge, that is the "tip."

If no service charge is included, tips are still not required, with the one exception of the sub-minimum-wage employee classes in the US (waiters and bartenders). Gratuities for normal work-a-day services are not common outside of these exceptions.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 1:09 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Talking

Originally Posted by fastflyer
Zigzag, I agree with your British friend: tipping by a few (apparently this few consists almost exclusively of American tourists) ruins the travel experience for the rest of us.

There is a 10% service charge, and the OP wants to tip additionally? Not necessary, and not a good trend to start. As a general hint for any travel anywhere, including the US, if the merchant includes a service charge, that is the "tip."

If no service charge is included, tips are still not required, with the one exception of the sub-minimum-wage employee classes in the US (waiters and bartenders). Gratuities for normal work-a-day services are not common outside of these exceptions.
Slightly out of topic, but there should probably have a similar product as the one described in the following website to help Americans pretend to be British while on vacation:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...us_cda_t_shirt

This way American tourists can speak and act like the British and avoid tipping in foreign countries where tipping is not a custom (but where staff expect them from Americans).
Old Dec 12, 2004, 11:18 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Amanpulo Tipping

I am replying to you all from the Singapore SQ First Lounge (lucky me!). We are on our way home from Amanpulo.

Amanpulo states very clearly (in writing) that, given the service charges, their staff do not expect to be tipped. If someone goes above and beyond the call of duty you may wish to tip. But it's not expected.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 8:44 pm

I agree that there is no expectation at any Asian Amanresorts to tip, as they add 10% to your bill that gets distributed directly to the staff in lieu of tips. At the end of your stay, this will not be an insubstantial amount of money, and in any case you will receive excellent service without the need for a gratuity.

The only employees I have tipped at Amanresorts have been nannys, which seemed appropriate because they spend the entire day and evening at your family's sole disposal. They work for you, and you alone. Therefore, while this service is technically included as well, the extreme effort the nannys expend solely on my behalf, make tipping them seem entirely appropriate (and I assume it is commonly done).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.