Wiki Posts
Search

Hotels near Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2004, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Hotels near Chicago

Hi All,

Will be in Chicago for a long weekend in November. Are there any luxury hotels about an hours drive from Chicago? More specifically, are there any nice places on the lake, in the country etc?

As you can see, I know nothing about this area, but thought it woukd be nice to leave the city for 1 night.

Many thanks.
Old Aug 31, 2004, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
There's not much within an hour of Chicago - you're still in the suburbs at that point. The American Club north of Milwaukee probably qualifies, but you're looking at a three-hour drive.

There may be some lakefront properties in SW Michigan around New Buffalo, but again that's probably a two-hour drive during traffic.
Old Aug 31, 2004, 10:52 am
In Memoriam, Original Member

Originally Posted by MANCHEST
As you can see, I know nothing about this area, but thought it woukd be nice to leave the city for 1 night.

Many thanks.
Try this...

http://dpihotel.com/index.html

I have stayed there many times and the town of Lake Forest is really nice and quaint.
Old Aug 31, 2004, 3:31 pm
csg

you may also want to try http://www.herringtoninn.com/mainpages/index1.htm.

I had to be in Geneva, IL on business and happened upon the hotel. It was very nice -- big room, fireplace, jacuzzi tub, milk and cookies left at turndown. Hotel is nicely located on a river. I was there on business so I can't tell you much about what there is to do there -- looked like there might be antique stores, some history, and we had a very nice dinner at one of the local restaurants.
Old Aug 31, 2004, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
I live in this area, and we had a wedding shower at the Deerpath inn...not very impressed. There really isn't much in the way of suburban lodging that is worth mentioning (unless you go towards SW Michigan as suggested). I would stay in the city at the Park Hyatt, 4 Seasons, 4 Seasons/Ritz, or of course the Penninsula.
Old Sep 1, 2004, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Thanks all. I don't mind driving up to 3 hours to get to some where really nice. What are the good properties in SW Michigan?

As for Chicago, I'm staying at the Peninsula.
Old Sep 1, 2004, 2:07 am

Programs: AA Airpass, UA 1P, SPG Plat
It's been a while since I've been to the New Buffalo area, but isn't that more of a summer location? Granted that's the only season I've been there, but I always got the impression that it was the beaches, golf, etc. that made it a popular draw. But it has been a while, so I def. could be wrong.

I'd also avoid the North Shore area (Lake Forest, Highland Park, etc) in November. Having grown up there (and going home this weekend!), I can say there's not a whole heck of a lot to do that time of year. If you're going to stay there the time do it is summer; that way you can enjoy the beaches, Botanic Gardens, Ravinia Festival, etc. I also think, given your preference for the Pen, that you might not find a comparable hotel.

I'd prob. second the idea of The American Club in Kohler. I think it's generally rated pretty highly and should offer some more to do. And given the traffic on 94 and the Skyway during long weekends, I don't know how much longer it will take than if you went to SW Michigan.
Old Sep 1, 2004, 7:52 am

Programs: AA Plat
The American Club in Kohler is nice, a bit stuffy, but nice. There isn't much to do up there except play championship golf. They have 4 excellent, but extremely difficult, courses (Whistling Straits is where they played the PGA Championship last month).

Lake Geneva Wisconsin, a popular summer destination for some locals, is right across the border (about 1.5 hours). The Grand Geneva Resort & Spa is a decent place (it is H. Hefner's former Playboy Club). It has a couple of nice golf courses and scenery. I think I've heard good things about its spa. The little town of Lake Geneva is quite nice to visit. I'm sure there is website for both the resort and town with more information.

Last edited by steelesm; Sep 1, 2004 at 9:02 am
Old Sep 1, 2004, 9:00 am

Programs: Delta - Diamond / Diamond Marriott-Platinum
Depends on you

If you are interested in spending time in the city I would stay at The Drake or the Ritz. Can't go wrong. One hour away, Milwaukee is to far, Lake Geneva is a long trek if you are going to spend more than one day in Chicago, Oakbrook has a nice shopping center and a few hotels. You're best bet is staying in the city of Chicago and enjoy all the sites without the hassle of the commute.
Old Sep 1, 2004, 11:06 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
someone recommeded this place in another thread on this forum:

http://www.sundaraspa.com
Old Sep 2, 2004, 1:39 am
Original Poster

thanks all, it would appear that there are no real world class 'getaways' in the area (they all seems atleast 3 hrs away) so perhaps I'll just stay in the city & hire a car for the day to have a look around

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.