Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Anyone stayed at the Market Place Pavilion In Charleston SC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2004, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Cent, US-AIR Plat, NW gold Elite, Cont Gold, Delta Gold, Mariott Silver,

Anyone stayed at the Market Place Pavilion In Charleston, SC? We are staying at this boutique hotel this weekend. I'd love opinions on different room categories etc. Currently we are in a regular room but thinking of upgrading to a concierge room or Suite. Opinions are appreciated!

Thanks!
Old Aug 8, 2004, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Cent, US-AIR Plat, NW gold Elite, Cont Gold, Delta Gold, Mariott Silver,
Market Place Pavilion Stay Report

Just a quick report on our recent stay at the Charleston Market Pavilion Hotel in Charleston, SC. We stayed on 7/29 - 8/1. This hotel is in a great location directly beside the Charleston Market. We were quickly checked in and shown to the elevators. We saw ourselves to our room. Our small room occupied a corner and had a small balcony that looked out to the harbor and east Bay St. The furnishings were large and comfortable. Everything looked new and clean. The linens were wonderful as well as the bathroom amenities (Hermes). We had a beautiful marble bathroom with great towels and robes. The pool on the roof was a huge hit. We had drinks up there twice. Unfortunately, they open the bar upstairs to the general public, which makes for some trashy folks coming up for the view. The food at this hotel is excellent. We ordered room service breakfast twice and ate at Grill 221 in the hotel lobby once. Each meal was outstanding. Breakfasts were pricey but worth every penny. We had an in room massage arranged by the concierge which was incredible. Our service was pleasant but not extrodinary. If a hotel aspires to be 5 star, its really got to engrain a service mentallity into it's staff. I can say that restaraunt staff and room service deliveries were what I expected, however, there were a few times that the front desk left me a little cold. Also on departing, I ask the valet to pull my car up, only to find that he had left the driver window down in the rain, when he pulled out of the garage. This is NOT the way to end a stay after having spent 1K on a weekend (stay food bev etc at Market Pavilion). I promptly went inside and ask an employee (mgr) to retrieve a towel so that I could clean up the water on my brand new cars seat. He brought back a towel and gave it to me. Never ask to go out to the car to clean it up himself. I thought this was unacceptable. After cleaning the seat in the rain, the valet pulled another car up. I told him that he had left the window down and that my seat was soaked. His response, "Really?" as he walked off. No apology nothing... To sum up, I had a great weekend at this hotel, followed by a very bitter last 10 minutes which really left me questioning the hotel. I'm planning on sending a letter to the hotel not to try and get something but rather as a constructive criticism. I'll post their response here so everyone can hear first hand what happens. I'm a big believer that a hotels response is an equally good barometer to their attitude towards customer service.

BTW, if you are in Charleston, DO NOT miss an opportunity to dine at the Peninsula Grill. This place is TOP NOTCH. Absolutely one of the finest meals I've ever had.

Excelsior
Old Apr 13, 2008, 7:51 am

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Thinking of CHS for a 4th of July weekend holiday, does anyone have thoughts about the latest lux hotels there? Thanks!
Old Apr 13, 2008, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I haven't heard about this hotel but one of my colleagues spends a lot of time in Charleston and swears by Charleston Place.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 7:23 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I stayed at Charleston Place last year and found it quite comfortable, but with rather spotty service.
There are a couple of B and B's that have good reputations, but the only time I stayed in one there was so long ago I can't remember its name.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.