Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Mauna Lani - Big Island of Hawai'i - Recent Experiences?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2011, 7:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

Just curious if anyone has recent (last 1-6 months) stays at this property. After visiting their website and seeing jaw-dropping beautiful rooms, I decided to (impulsively) grab a partial ocean room here - but then went and read some of the FT reviews which described the rooms as:

old, tired, musty, humid, not worth it, disappointing, etc etc

The Mauna Kea does not have availability, nor does my preferred property the FS Hualalai - so that leaves me torn between the Fairmont Orchid and the Hilton Waikoloa, where the Hilton had an unbeatable price advantage, but lacks the luxury feel.

If the Mauna Lani has been updated and the website is an accurate representation of the rooms today, I'll keep the booking - but if reality is different from what they portray online, I'll need to cancel quickly before the deposit hits my credit card.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 3:48 pm

We were at the mauna lani within the last year. We enjoyed it a lot.

The rooms are comfortable. Not modern FS rooms but still very comfortable and tropical. The bathrooms can use updating though those too are fine. Of note, I believe they all have the very latest in Japanese toilets, with self drying function and all.

We prefer the hotel to the mauna kea and the fairmont. It feels more Hawaiian. Great staff. Nice open air lobby. It feels like Hawaii. The hotel has an outstanding system of natural pools and streams. I believe it stocks near 20,000 fish. Take the brief tour of it which is fascinating. Hammer head sharks, sea rays, small fish, large fish, many turtles. The beaches at the hotel, and the swimming bay, is chock a block with lounging and swimming sea turtles. You can travel thousand of mikes and not see so many together.

The main restaurant has good food, very good wine list and wine program. The beach restaurant has an outstanding grilled fish sandwich, for which they are famous.

Finally, if you head there during a vacation week no doubt you will encounter many children, but that will be true T most all such resorts there.
Good luck.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 9:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Just back from our stay at the Mauna Lani. With the FS and MK sold out, I couldn't resist the Kama'aina pricing, so no matter how 'dated' the property was, we were going for it.

In fact, we were very surprised. The property is kept up top-notch and is quite beautiful. The service was impeccable - truly no different than the FS, although without the constant "forced" Alohas that I'm always hearing at the FS. Definitely more natural.

We joined a petroglyph hike with hotel guide Pi'i who gave an amazing presentation on the local petroglyphs. We dropped in on a lei making session in the cultural center and had a blast creating Ti leaf and a flower lei - something we've never bothered to try before and were glad we did.

The rooms are impeccably clean - but furnishing-wise, yes - you're going to walk in and think the last guests were Carol and Mike Brady. But after a day or so, the 'island retro' feel was quite comfortable and the rooms are very well maintained.

Check-in is a personal experience at a desk (not the counter) and guests are welcomed with cold towels and juice. We had the $260 Kama'aina rate for a garden view room, but our check-in agent remembered they just rolled out a package for $220 that included a ocean view room and breakfast buffet for 2, and switched us over.

The building architecture is somewhat reminiscent of the Sheraton Keahou (plain white building), but the interior is light, open and full of fish-stocked water pools.

Complimentary bikes are available to ride throughout the Mauna Lani Resort area.

Other bonuses - free valet parking, no resort fees and blazing fast in-room Internet.

If the FS is not available, this will be our go-to property from now on. Even when busy, the hotel was quiet and uncrowded and lacked the Disney-ish experience of the Hilton Waikoloa or the huge crowds of the Maui resorts.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 4:47 pm

Programs: aa gold, spg plat, marriott plat
We go to the Mauna Lani every year and love the relaxed, understated and unpretentious atmosphere. I have never found anywhere else like it. Yes, the architecture and layout might be old fashioned, but the staff and outdoor space make the hotel a gem. Bocastephen, we will be there on dec. 15, also at the kamaina rate, but our rate is $230!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.