Reload this Page >

Best Luxury Hotel in Mumbai (Bombay)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Luxury Hotel in Mumbai (Bombay)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2004, 7:09 am

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
Bump...

Stayed at the InterContinental the Grand last weekend and posted a short review here.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 9:33 am

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by agtoau
When Hyatt Regency Mumbai first opened a couple of years ago, I was very impressed with the quality and efficiency of service. Its proximity to the international airport was an added plus. Furthermore, it used to have a policy of 24 hours check-in (so you didn't have to pay for the previous day if your flight got in early in the morning) and also a policy which allowed you to pay for 8-hours blocks of stay. Alas, this very convenient feature was pulled last year.
FYI, the Hyatt Regency still has a 24 hour check-in/check-out policy for the Regency Club rooms. I just booked one, checking in at 11pm and checking out at 10pm the next day and was charged for one night only.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 9:57 am

Programs: United MP, Qatar Privilege, Lufthansa
Originally Posted by Savage25
FYI, the Hyatt Regency still has a 24 hour check-in/check-out policy for the Regency Club rooms. I just booked one, checking in at 11pm and checking out at 10pm the next day and was charged for one night only.

Earlier this year (January 2004), I was categorically told when I checked-in at the Hyatt Regency Mumbai that the 24 hour check-in policy was no longer in effect. Perhaps they have re-instituted it?
Old Nov 23, 2004, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by agtoau
If I were you, I would stay at the Oberoi and take a meal at the Taj.
If you do this, you can now eat at Wasabi by Morimoto at the Taj. Morimoto is of "Iron Chef" fame, former exec chef at Nobu and owner/chef at Morimoto in Philadelphia. All the fish are flown in from Japan.
Old Nov 27, 2004, 9:43 am

Programs: United MP, Qatar Privilege, Lufthansa
I hear this brand new luxury hotel is opening in Mumbai around December 1, 2004. Does anybody have a scoop on this hotel? (Note: Sheraton has another older property (Grand Maratha Sheraton) in Mumbai.)
Old Dec 12, 2004, 12:45 pm

re

for shopping of spectacles you can contact us at [email protected]
Old Jan 26, 2010, 2:20 pm
thc

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Platinum
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but was wondering if anyone had any updates about Mumbai. How is the Four Seasons? Oberoi is currently close for renovation.

Shangri-La is also supposed to open later this year.

I may be in Mumbai in October 2010
Old Jan 28, 2010, 6:32 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Originally Posted by thc
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but was wondering if anyone had any updates about Mumbai. How is the Four Seasons? Oberoi is currently close for renovation.

Shangri-La is also supposed to open later this year.

I may be in Mumbai in October 2010
This topic has been canvassed before, so you might want to do a search - but by October, both the Oberoi and Taj Palace should be up and running. Location is everything in Mumbai - the FS is new, glitzy and soulless - and located in Worli, which can be inconvenient for tourist stuff. The Oberoi and the Taj will remain the places to stay in Colaba/South Mumbai - and Taj is basically using the reno to relaunch the suite offerings in the Palace Wing, which could be good. I pretty much think the Oberoi will just update the rooms.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 1:01 am
thc

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by grumbler
This topic has been canvassed before, so you might want to do a search - but by October, both the Oberoi and Taj Palace should be up and running. Location is everything in Mumbai - the FS is new, glitzy and soulless - and located in Worli, which can be inconvenient for tourist stuff. The Oberoi and the Taj will remain the places to stay in Colaba/South Mumbai - and Taj is basically using the reno to relaunch the suite offerings in the Palace Wing, which could be good. I pretty much think the Oberoi will just update the rooms.
Ok thanks. I did do a search and didn't find anything.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 3:53 am

Oberoi Mumbai reopens

I see the Oberoi Mumbai has set 24th April as the reopening date. For me this will make Mubai a far more attractive destination IF the renovation is an indepth one. I found the FS nice, but lacking in character & the Taj Mahal dated beyond belief when I was there in March 09....

Does anyone know much about the changes made?
Old Apr 14, 2010, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by MANCHESTER
I see the Oberoi Mumbai has set 24th April as the reopening date. For me this will make Mubai a far more attractive destination IF the renovation is an indepth one. I found the FS nice, but lacking in character & the Taj Mahal dated beyond belief when I was there in March 09....

Does anyone know much about the changes made?
The Oberoi Mumbai.

They say it has been completely transformed to offer fresh contemporary interiors, new facilities and the latest technology.

All guest rooms and suites have been renovated, and include spacious marble bathrooms.

New dining options include Ziya, an Indian restaurant under the direction of the Michelin starred Chef Vineet Bhatia; a new all day dining restaurant; a new bar and a completely redesigned lounge.

Recreational facilities include an outdoor heated swimming pool, a spa and a fitness centre.

Steven Kalczynski, ex-Starwood, is the new GM.

TAJ MAHAL PALACE & TOWER

The Taj Mahal Palace Mumbai, re-opening May 1st - painstakingly restored to its former glory. The restaurants & bars and banquet spaces have all reopened and its thematic rooms & suites, will soon reopen. The rooms and suites in the tower wing are operational.

Rooms & Suites: Besides the Luxury Grande Rooms there will be 15 signature suites such as the Tata Suite, Maratha Suite, Rajput Suite scheduled to open in May 2010.

Restaurant & Bars: The Taj Mahal Palace & Tower has recently reopened the Golden Dragon, Wasabi by Morimoto and Harbour Bar after a year long renovation.

The Golden Dragon with a contemporary décor offers 40 fresh additions to the menu. Wasabi by Morimoto now offers 14 new dishes including new kinds of sushi, salads, cold dishes and an authentic Japanese curry. The legendary Harbour Bar has the distinction of being Mumbai’s first licensed bar. On offer is an extensive range of whiskies, single malts and wines from across the world.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
The Oberoi Mumbai.

They say it has been completely transformed to offer fresh contemporary interiors, new facilities and the latest technology.

All guest rooms and suites have been renovated, and include spacious marble bathrooms.

New dining options include Ziya, an Indian restaurant under the direction of the Michelin starred Chef Vineet Bhatia; a new all day dining restaurant; a new bar and a completely redesigned lounge.

Recreational facilities include an outdoor heated swimming pool, a spa and a fitness centre.

Steven Kalczynski, ex-Starwood, is the new GM.

TAJ MAHAL PALACE & TOWER

The Taj Mahal Palace Mumbai, re-opening May 1st - painstakingly restored to its former glory. The restaurants & bars and banquet spaces have all reopened and its thematic rooms & suites, will soon reopen. The rooms and suites in the tower wing are operational.

Rooms & Suites: Besides the Luxury Grande Rooms there will be 15 signature suites such as the Tata Suite, Maratha Suite, Rajput Suite scheduled to open in May 2010.

Restaurant & Bars: The Taj Mahal Palace & Tower has recently reopened the Golden Dragon, Wasabi by Morimoto and Harbour Bar after a year long renovation.

The Golden Dragon with a contemporary décor offers 40 fresh additions to the menu. Wasabi by Morimoto now offers 14 new dishes including new kinds of sushi, salads, cold dishes and an authentic Japanese curry. The legendary Harbour Bar has the distinction of being Mumbai’s first licensed bar. On offer is an extensive range of whiskies, single malts and wines from across the world.

Sounds promising re the Oberoi, so will give it a go next time in BOM. As for the Taj, unless you go for a suite in the palace wing, it seems like it's not for me. Rooms in the tower are very old & cramped.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by MANCHESTER
Sounds promising re the Oberoi, so will give it a go next time in BOM. As for the Taj, unless you go for a suite in the palace wing, it seems like it's not for me. Rooms in the tower are very old & cramped.
Actually, the rooms in the Palace Wing of the Taj are really nice - beautifully refurbished in contemporary style and with great bathrooms. I also prefer the contemporary suites in the Palace Wing as the traditionals often verge upon the ridiculous.

Hopefully, Oberoi have ripped everything out and started again as the look was very dated.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 6:35 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Actually, the rooms in the Palace Wing of the Taj are really nice - beautifully refurbished in contemporary style and with great bathrooms. I also prefer the contemporary suites in the Palace Wing as the traditionals often verge upon the ridiculous.

Hopefully, Oberoi have ripped everything out and started again as the look was very dated.
Not much that Oberoi can do with the basic configuration of the rooms, though. Agreed that you have to avoid the Tower wing of the Taj - if you need to stay at a Taj, and you can't get into the palace, might as well stay at the President, which isn't that far away.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by grumbler
Not much that Oberoi can do with the basic configuration of the rooms, though. Agreed that you have to avoid the Tower wing of the Taj - if you need to stay at a Taj, and you can't get into the palace, might as well stay at the President, which isn't that far away.
what was/is the pool like at the Oberoi?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.