Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Where would you spend 1 night for your birthday?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2016, 7:10 am
Original Poster

I have 1 night available to celebrate my birthday next weekend. I would be leaving from CLT or RDU on the east coast and would like to keep the flight at 4 hrs. max. I would like somewhere fun and relaxing, but am not opposed to anything. Please, give me some suggestions on where to go! Thanks!

Last edited by lovebug; Oct 16, 2016 at 1:55 pm
Old Oct 16, 2016, 8:43 am
Suspended

Charleston.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 9:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by lovebug
I have 1 night available to spend anywhere for my birthday next weekend. I would be leaving from CLT or RDU on the east coast. I would like somewhere fun and relaxing, but am not opposed to anything. I need some suggestions on where to go. Thanks!
Sorry, I'm a little confused. This is the Luxury Hotel forum; are you looking for a geographic location recommendation or a specific hotel recommendation? Do you want to spend luxury hotel rates for 1 night? I very rarely pay for luxury hotel accommodations when only staying for 1 night, as I find with a 3 or 4PM check-in and a 11AM or noon check out (though you might be able to get a late check out) it's really not worth dropping $800 or $1000 for that amount of time.

Also, I think you might need to "bound the box" on this a bit more. I mean you say "anywhere" but only for 1 night? I mean are willing to go to Tokyo or Hong Kong or Sydney for "1 night" All those places certainly meet the criteria of "anywhere."

Help us help you, be a bit more specific.

Regards
Old Oct 16, 2016, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scubadu
Sorry, I'm a little confused. This is the Luxury Hotel forum; are you looking for a geographic location recommendation or a specific hotel recommendation? Do you want to spend luxury hotel rates for 1 night? I very rarely pay for luxury hotel accommodations when only staying for 1 night, as I find with a 3 or 4PM check-in and a 11AM or noon check out (though you might be able to get a late check out) it's really not worth dropping $800 or $1000 for that amount of time.

Also, I think you might need to "bound the box" on this a bit more. I mean you say "anywhere" but only for 1 night? I mean are willing to go to Tokyo or Hong Kong or Sydney for "1 night" All those places certainly meet the criteria of "anywhere."

Help us help you, be a bit more specific.

Regards
Sorry, for not being more specific. I'm looking for a geographic location and was planning on staying at a luxury hotel at the location. Thank you for your feedback and I'll consider other hotel options. I would like to keep the flight around 4 hours.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 9:53 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Some great hotels in Phoenix and it's lovely this time of year. I may be a little biased though, I lived there seven years.

On another note, happy birthday. Mine is the 24th, I'll be in Copenhagen for it.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 3:27 am

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
If this thread was applicable to anywhere in the world I'd probably do the Terrace Suite at HK IC.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 8:04 am
Formerly known as hcampana

Programs: Hilton Diamond
My birthday was yesterday, went to Brugge, but I guess that's a little too far for you ;-)

How about Miami?

Happy birthday
Old Oct 17, 2016, 8:48 am
A4K

Programs: N/A
Why not just drive to Blackberry Farm?
Old Oct 18, 2016, 3:55 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
We like to do one night luxury hotel stays for birthdays (or an anniversary). We usually do something driving distance because it is less complicated and we don't have to worry about airlines running on time. We leave early in the morning and let the resort know we are arriving early. Then, assuming we can't get into our room, we enjoy the hotel property and the surrounding area. We request a late checkout the following day and do much of the same. It works well for us. Especially when my husband is short on vacation time.

Blackberry Farm is a good suggestion if you are interested in a driving distance location.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by A4K
Thank you for the suggestion. I just looked it up and looks amazing!
Old Oct 18, 2016, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by myeurocrush
My birthday was yesterday, went to Brugge, but I guess that's a little too far for you ;-)

How about Miami?

Happy birthday
Thank you! I did consider Miami and am leaning towards it.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 11:49 am

The Faena in Miami would be a good choice if you get late check-out. good dinning options and nice scene. Spa is nice (though not great)
Old Oct 18, 2016, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by A4K
3-night minimum at Blackberry Farm on weekends Labor Day to Thanksgiving.

Also, I hate to say this, but it's fallen way off since Sam Beall's death. I spent Labor Day there with my family and I spent the flight back to NYC on Monday talking with the woman across the aisle, who was there with her family of 12, about how much it's fallen off and how it's objectively fine, but not worth what they're charging.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

twin farms - works flight wise, charlotte to burlington/manchester
Old Oct 19, 2016, 10:55 am

I'd personally rather drive to The Swag for one night than Blackberry Farm, but that's just me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.