Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cape Town - Queen Victoria or Taj?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Cape Town - Queen Victoria or Taj?

Visiting Cape Town for the first time in Sept for 4 nights before Singita safaris. Was trying to keep budget close to $250 per night. Available options in that price range include city view room at Taj or Queen Vic. No rooms available at Dock House. Would you recommend Taj or Queen Vic or is it worth to up budget to stay at O&O?
Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by AngelBride
Visiting Cape Town for the first time in Sept for 4 nights before Singita safaris. Was trying to keep budget close to $250 per night. Available options in that price range include city view room at Taj or Queen Vic. No rooms available at Dock House. Would you recommend Taj or Queen Vic or is it worth to up budget to stay at O&O?
I would opt for the Taj, although a mountain view would be best.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:50 am

I was in Cape Town last December following a cruise down the west coast from Ghana. Our cruise company, Silversea, put us up for 3 days at the Table Bay Hotel and we were more than happy with it, especially the view from our room -

Cape Town, South Africa by UltraPanavision, on Flickr
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:18 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I think the Tabke Bay, Queen Vic, or Taj will do you fine. They all have good service and nice rooms...and the table Bay and Queen Vic also have lovely views. (It's worth noting that your preferred Dock House, which is my fave, as well, has no real views...)

Pick the best for you and know you'll be fine. Cape Town is an unusual city in that its best hotels are quite varied...and with more breadth.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 8:06 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Starwood Gold
No Ellerman House?
Old Aug 2, 2016, 9:31 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
Originally Posted by Mega Boris
No Ellerman House?
Not at $250 a night!
Old Aug 7, 2016, 11:10 am

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
We had a similar rate at the Nellie. I think we got a night free through Amex FHR.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
I liked my room at the Taj two years ago, but wasn't a big fan of the roaches that were crawling around on the floor at the bar/lounge downstairs. Just an FYI
Old Aug 9, 2016, 1:43 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

This thread has had a run in the luxury hotels forum but isn't really about luxury hotels, so I am going to move it to the Africa forum where it should get some good additional views.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
Old Aug 10, 2016, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by troyb
I liked my room at the Taj two years ago, but wasn't a big fan of the roaches that were crawling around on the floor at the bar/lounge downstairs. Just an FYI
Hmmm...you got me concerned. We typically stay in luxury properties and are continuing on to a safari at Singita. Since we are planning to be sightseeing most of the time we are in Cape Town I thought we could do one of the lower tier virtuoso properties. We ended up getting a mountain view tower room with balcony and club benefits. Should I reconsider another property like the Nellie or O@O?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.