Wiki Posts
Search

Europe In June (Without The Crowds)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2016, 3:15 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Europe In June (Without The Crowds)

My wife and I will have 8 days (9 max) next mid-June to get away for a bit, and we'd like to go to Europe (well, I'd like to go to Europe) on account of some Miles&More miles burning a hole in my account.

I'd love some help brainstorming some trips that involve great hotels and meet these criteria:

- Away from the summer crowds (so no big cities)
- Nothing that will feel rushed in 8 days (so nothing that takes too long to get to)
- Pretty easy to reach with a single flight from FRA

Something naturally beautiful is a huge plus.

Ideas we've been kicking around that we like so far:
  • Greece (perhaps Amanzoe and/or Katikies)
  • Portugal (SS Douro Valley looks great, though worried about possibility of crowds in Lisbon)
  • Ireland (we went last July and loved it, going west and south (report here)...thinking this time we could drive west and then go North through Ashford Castle, etc..)
  • Amalfi Coast
  • Norway (this thread turns up a few interesting luxury options there, driving up the fjord coast sounds wonderful, though worried about having enough time to do it without rushing

Any/all thoughts are welcome. Thanks!
Old Jun 27, 2016, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by LM225
My wife and I will have 8 days (9 max) next mid-June to get away for a bit, and we'd like to go to Europe (well, I'd like to go to Europe) on account of some Miles&More miles burning a hole in my account. I'd love some help brainstorming some trips that involve great hotels and meet these criteria:

- Away from the summer crowds (so no big cities)
- Nothing that will feel rushed in 8 days (so nothing that takes too long to get to)
- Pretty easy to reach with a single flight from FRA

Something naturally beautiful is a huge plus.

Ideas we've been kicking around that we like so far:
  • Greece (perhaps Amanzoe and/or Katikies)
  • Portugal (SS Douro Valley looks great, though worried about possibility of crowds in Lisbon)
  • Ireland (we went last July and loved it, going west and south (report here)...thinking this time we could drive west and then go North through Ashford Castle, etc..)
  • Amalfi Coast
  • Norway (this thread turns up a few interesting luxury options there, driving up the fjord coast sounds wonderful, though worried about having enough time to do it without rushing

Any/all thoughts are welcome. Thanks!
The Emilia Romanga and Marche provinces in Italy (essentially Bologna to Ancona).

Largely ignored by mainstream tourism, these regions offer great food, contrasts of interior and coastal areas, etc. Italians do not go there until August, so you will get some German and UK tourists.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 3:50 pm

Programs: No program whatsoever
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
The Emilia Romanga and Marche provinces in Italy (essentially Bologna to Ancona).

Largely ignored by mainstream tourism, these regions offer great food, contrasts of interior and coastal areas, etc. Italians do not go there until August, so you will get some German and UK tourists.
I'm originally from the Marche region, feels quite strange to see the region cited on this board Though sadly, no luxury properties in either Emilia or Marche to the best of my knowledge.

To the OP: what about Rosewood Castiglion del Bosco? It's a beautiful property, and tucked away from the hustle and bustle.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 4:56 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, Avis PC, Global Entry
Originally Posted by 0bsidian
To the OP: what about Rosewood Castiglion del Bosco? It's a beautiful property, and tucked away from the hustle and bustle.
In that vein, Borgo Santo Pietro would also fit the bill.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by 0bsidian
I'm originally from the Marche region, feels quite strange to see the region cited on this board Though sadly, no luxury properties in either Emilia or Marche to the best of my knowledge.

Good point. Other than Baglioni in Bologna.

Lots of 4 star, but many require a rental car.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 9:36 pm

My suggestion is Francis Coppola's resort in Basilicata, Italy. This is the hotel I fancy most in the world right now. It's in an amazing area of Italy, within easy driving distance of Bari and Naples airports. It is close to two of Italy's most dazzling historic sites - Matera and Lecce as well as the Truli region of Puglia.

https://www.thefamilycoppolaresorts....zzo-margherita
Old Jun 27, 2016, 11:26 pm
Community Director Emerita

If you are a foodie, consider the Basque area of northern Spain. There is an amazing concentration of Michelin starred restaurants in this area. The Maria Christina in San Sebastian and the only Frank Gehry designed hotel, Hotel Marquis de Riscal, are worth a look.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 5:32 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for the advice so far! Italy sounds like a wonderful option, and I'm salivating at some of the food photos I'm seeing from Emilia Romagna.

We loved Florence, so Tuscany might be a great place to return to.

The only thing I don't want is to pick a single property and feel "stuck" there after a few days. Though it seems like these regions offer great opportunities to drive and stay between 2-3 places over 8 days.

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
If you are a foodie, consider the Basque area of northern Spain. There is an amazing concentration of Michelin starred restaurants in this area. The Maria Christina in San Sebastian and the only Frank Gehry designed hotel, Hotel Marquis de Riscal, are worth a look.
Thanks! Hadn't thought of San Sebastian as I assumed it would get crowded in the summer, though I'm not too familiar with it. We do love food (and Spain -- had a great trip to Andalucia earlier this year)...do you think that the crowds are reasonably manageable then?

SanDiego1k, I also remember your wonderful accounts of Provence (and particularly Domaine de la Baume). Would you recommend it for a trip like this in June, given our criteria?

Last edited by LM225; Jun 28, 2016 at 6:40 am
Old Jun 28, 2016, 7:12 am

We've done long weekend trips to both Bologna (and the broader Emilia Romagna region) and San Sebastian this year.

The food in San Sebastian is great but the town is small and even when we were there in April felt very crowded with thousands thronging the pincho bars at lunch and dinner. There also isn't a lot to see and do there - it is a small town with not much more than a day's strolling around.

However, the food in Emilia Romagna is to die for - in general less smart than in San Sebastian (although if you can book Osteria Francescana you can eat in arguably the best restaurant in the world) but fantastically tasty. Bologna is a beautiful city - not crowded when we visited at the end of May with amazing small bars, restaurants and gelaterias on every corner. From Bologna, it is less than an hours drive to Modena - centre of traditional balsamic vinegar production (a tour of an aceteria is a must do as the process is amazing) and the heart of Parmesan production as well.

Bologna is only an hour or so north of Florence, so we included some time in Tuscany as part of our trip and you could take a day trip into Siena as well which tends to be quieter than the more touristy Florence. Siena is easily accessible from the luxury Tuscany places mentioned above - we stayed at Borgo San Felice which we loved although the rooms are smaller and more traditional than Rosewood Castiglion del Bosco for example.

Heading west from Bologna, you could head to the Italian coast - the Cinque Terre are beautiful although they can get busy. There isn't anywhere truly luxury to stay but there are some nice 4 star options in Sestri Levante just up the coast.

Pisa (and its leaning tower) can easily be factored into a trip including the coast - it is always crowded but with a car, it is possible to drive into the city, park within a couple of hundred meters of the tower do a quick visit and get back in the car which keeps crowd exposure to a minimum.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 8:50 am
Community Director Emerita

SanDiego1k, I also remember your wonderful accounts of Provence (and particularly Domaine de la Baume). Would you recommend it for a trip like this in June, given our criteria?
June is a perfect time to be in Provence. Unfortunately, Domaine de la Baume is closed for some reason I do not understand. You would need to look elsewhere for a place to stay. You could even consider renting a home for a week.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 9:20 am

A perfect split stay in Tuscany is Castello di Casole, between Siena and San Gimignano, and Rosewood Castiglion del Bosco, near Montalcino - both very peaceful.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EfficientTraveller
We've done long weekend trips to both Bologna (and the broader Emilia Romagna region) and San Sebastian this year.

The food in San Sebastian is great but the town is small and even when we were there in April felt very crowded with thousands thronging the pincho bars at lunch and dinner. There also isn't a lot to see and do there - it is a small town with not much more than a day's strolling around.

However, the food in Emilia Romagna is to die for - in general less smart than in San Sebastian (although if you can book Osteria Francescana you can eat in arguably the best restaurant in the world) but fantastically tasty. Bologna is a beautiful city - not crowded when we visited at the end of May with amazing small bars, restaurants and gelaterias on every corner. From Bologna, it is less than an hours drive to Modena - centre of traditional balsamic vinegar production (a tour of an aceteria is a must do as the process is amazing) and the heart of Parmesan production as well.

Bologna is only an hour or so north of Florence, so we included some time in Tuscany as part of our trip and you could take a day trip into Siena as well which tends to be quieter than the more touristy Florence. Siena is easily accessible from the luxury Tuscany places mentioned above - we stayed at Borgo San Felice which we loved although the rooms are smaller and more traditional than Rosewood Castiglion del Bosco for example.

Heading west from Bologna, you could head to the Italian coast - the Cinque Terre are beautiful although they can get busy. There isn't anywhere truly luxury to stay but there are some nice 4 star options in Sestri Levante just up the coast.

Pisa (and its leaning tower) can easily be factored into a trip including the coast - it is always crowded but with a car, it is possible to drive into the city, park within a couple of hundred meters of the tower do a quick visit and get back in the car which keeps crowd exposure to a minimum.
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
June is a perfect time to be in Provence. Unfortunately, Domaine de la Baume is closed for some reason I do not understand. You would need to look elsewhere for a place to stay. You could even consider renting a home for a week.
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
A perfect split stay in Tuscany is Castello di Casole, between Siena and San Gimignano, and Rosewood Castiglion del Bosco, near Montalcino - both very peaceful.
Excellent discussion here, thank you! I'm digging in to a few of these a bit more now, and liking what I see.

Any thoughts on Ireland (the north/west) around this time? It appears the best hotels are clustered toward the south (and we've already been to several of them on our last trip), but was sad to miss Ashford Castle (and, of course, the beauty of the northern coast).
Old Jun 28, 2016, 12:53 pm

-- --

Last edited by QPRfan; Nov 6, 2018 at 8:52 am
Old Jun 28, 2016, 1:28 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Thanks all for the advice so far! Italy sounds like a wonderful option, and I'm salivating at some of the food photos I'm seeing from Emilia Romagna.

We loved Florence, so Tuscany might be a great place to return to.

The only thing I don't want is to pick a single property and feel "stuck" there after a few days. Though it seems like these regions offer great opportunities to drive and stay between 2-3 places over 8 days.

Thanks! Hadn't thought of San Sebastian as I assumed it would get crowded in the summer, though I'm not too familiar with it. We do love food (and Spain -- had a great trip to Andalucia earlier this year)...do you think that the crowds are reasonably manageable then?

Weil , if you do decide on Tuscany , one of my couple Amanjunkies FTer friends now own & manage :

Lupaia (www.lupaia.com), a country inn with 11 rooms on a hill overlooking Montepulciano .

They are into good food too .

Am figuring out when to stay - likely only in fall - so if you do before me , will love a TR
Old Jun 28, 2016, 1:38 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by QPRfan
Just over a week ago I flew to Bergen, then drove to Alesund. The following day I then drove back to Bergen, spent a few hours there and then flew off.
This was hectic, but there weren't many crowds and obviously with your timeframe you could take your time.

I was at Katikies in May last year, and this was delightful, albeit it was busy.

Ashford castle is excellent, we visited last year and are booked again to return this year. Have you thought of including Northern Ireland? Belfast is ok for a couple of days whilst the Antrim coast is spectacular. You could go into Dublin (stay at the Merrion), head west to Ashford Castle and explore Connemara, then head to Derry, before seeing the Antrim coast, Belfast and returning to Dublin.

Excellent discussion here, thank you! I'm digging in to a few of these a bit more now, and liking what I see.

Any thoughts on Ireland (the north/west) around this time? It appears the best hotels are clustered toward the south (and we've already been to several of them on our last trip), but was sad to miss Ashford Castle (and, of course, the beauty of the northern coast).
Well , I / we really loved Ashford Castle & the Ring of Kerry from Kenmare . Stayed at Sheen Falls Lodge .

Agree with QPRfan

Have enjoyed Bergen a few times too ! Lovely waterfront hotel but will need to figure out name , wasn't chosen by me . Was too jet lagged those times & again now to recall ..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.