Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paris: The Peninsula vs. Mandarin Oriental

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2016, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Paris: The Peninsula vs. Mandarin Oriental

I am going for 4 nights in May ....which one do you prefer? I have a "slight" better offer from Peninsula, about 50e less a night. No big deal but i cannot decide which one is superior !!!????

Any thoughts?
Old Apr 14, 2016, 12:10 pm

I'm one of the few on this board who prefers MOPAR to most others in Paris - the Palaces bore me to tears, and I love the location.

I would recommend a Jr. Suite or above, though.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 12:15 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Superior in what way? What appeals to you about the idea of a luxury hotel?

Both are rather new style properties with contemporary rooms. Locations are a little different. Peninsula offers PenTime 24hrs check in check out what might be useful to you. There are several Mandarin promotions including complimentary nights and confirmed upgrades.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 7:44 am

MO location is better.
For the rest is all depends on your taste (classic VS contemporary).
Old Apr 15, 2016, 9:38 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Dia, AClub Plat, Hyatt Dia, FB Gold, LH SEN, TK *G
I had posted a review of a Mandarin Suite at the MOPAR. Truly had a wonderful time and the concierge team is outstanding. I largely prefer the location of the MO and the style as well. That however does not mean that the Pen is not a good hotel but I found the service truly subpar in many areas of the hotel. The top floor restaurant is a good experience though and the building is impressive.

Overall, I'd really put the MO a notch above the Pen, mainly for service quality which is often hit and miss at the Pen.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 10:50 am
Original Poster

OK... location for me is not the issue, although of course MO has a better location, Paris is Paris wherever i stay!...my main decision are Rooms, Luxury, all around Hotel building/amenities/acommodations.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 2:59 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Originally Posted by egregor
I am going for 4 nights in May ....which one do you prefer? I have a "slight" better offer from Peninsula, about 50e less a night. No big deal but i cannot decide which one is superior !!!????

Any thoughts?
Peninsula is the "superior" hotel, though it's in a less desirable location (unless you want to be near the Arc du Triomphe). MO has a great location just off the Place Vendome, but I don't like its rooms as much.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by 99Robbins
I believe you would have a great time at either hotel. I would maybe look at Shangri La, Reserve Hotel
^
Shangri-La hard product is brilliant.
And La Réserve location + food is fantastic

Last edited by Pierre&Cédric; Apr 18, 2016 at 3:47 am
Old Apr 17, 2016, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by 99Robbins
I just think the Pen should get a D- for its hotel in Paris . One of the worst hotels by a luxury chain
Royal Monceau (under same ownership) is also disappointing.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Royal Monceau (under same ownership) is also disappointing.
Royal Monceau is frightful. Wouldn't touch that hotel with a ten foot pole. Or anything P Starck has worked on for that matter.

Nicolas B is working hard at the Pen to improve, and I see some results - but I hear it is not worth your while.

In this situation, try MO.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by scented
...Nicolas B is working hard at the Pen to improve, and I see some results - but I hear it is not worth your while.

In this situation, try MO.
Nicholas B is an excellent GM, but I am afraid the problem is that he hasn't been given that great of a hard product to work with.

I totally agree re MO. It is the hotel of choice for anyone looking for a contemporary decor in Paris.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Nicholas B is an excellent GM, but I am afraid the problem is that he hasn't been given that great of a hard product to work with.

I totally agree re MO. It is the hotel of choice for anyone looking for a contemporary decor in Paris.
You are very right. The Pen hasn't found its market yet and I hear many suite guests find the decor a bit nondescript. That could, however, change soon and they look into that. For the time being they live from the global Peninsula reputation and the team hasn't been able to deliver that service just yet.

One can totally enjoy the Pen and this beautiful building that they delivered without ever booking a room or suite. This is the weakest point of the product.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 11:34 am
Original Poster

I still don't get why a hotel that won best Hotel in Paris and 5th in Europe in the Conde Nast World Best list and that is as reputable as "The Peninsula" chain....get those "I just think the Pen should get a D- for its hotel in Paris . One of the worst hotels by a luxury chain" comments....dont get it!....and when you see the pictures of the MO and compare them to the Pen, the Pen are wayyyy more luxurious, bigger and with more amenities.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 11:35 am

Have you stayed at either, egregor?
Old Apr 18, 2016, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by egregor
I still don't get why a hotel that won best Hotel in Paris and 5th in Europe in the Conde Nast World Best list and that is as reputable as "The Peninsula" chain....get those "I just think the Pen should get a D- for its hotel in Paris . One of the worst hotels by a luxury chain" comments....dont get it!....and when you see the pictures of the MO and compare them to the Pen, the Pen are wayyyy more luxurious, bigger and with more amenities.
The Conde Nast Gold List has nothing to say. There are few, if any, publications that cannot be bought. If Conde Nast or T+L had just 1% of the knowledge of some people on this forum, that would go a long way because let's face it they know nothing, god knows if they even set foot in that hotel ever?
Everyone has a different definition of luxury. For some it's the handwoven carpets, the chandeliers, the marble, the art, for others it's more intuitive, casual luxury. And sorry to say but while the MO might not be my cup of tea, it simply delivers and in many departments better than Peninsula. The Concierge department of MO might be very well one of the best in all of Paris and France. It gets nothing but praise and I don't get that vibe from the Pen yet. That can change, the Parisian hotel scene is a small world and with so many people changing back and forth, with the right person at the helm it could get better, but not right now. Right now the Pen is indeed a way more luxurious, bigger monstrosity that decidedly lacks character and soul. And talk to some Parisians, the Pen is not part of any of the Parisian social circles. Each of the palace hotels caters to a different local clientele and I don't see about any locals at the Pen. I am also not fully up to date in terms of F&B performance at the Pen but I do think that the neither of the restaurants get solid reviews? Isn't their French fine dining L’Oiseau Blanc missing a star? Or two? Or three? Yes it takes time to develop (and tons of money).. but if you're going strictly by hard criteria this is something that's not in favor of the hotel. See, with all the investment Qatar pumped into this building, the glossy ads Peninsula had in various (Conde Nast) magazines and the PR the Kadoories pushed, it better be getting those awards.

Last edited by scented; Apr 18, 2016 at 1:01 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.