Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Travel Resources

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2016, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: No program whatsoever
Luxury Travel Resources

As I go about my morning coffee and daily ritual of checking FT Luxury Hotels and a handful of industry blogs, I wonder: which websites / media outlets / blogs devoted to luxury hotels and travel do you find the most useful?
Old Jan 27, 2016, 7:57 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

I'm extremely interested in seeing what people can come up with as I have not found anything beyond the usual suspects like the Robb Report etc.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: Virtuoso
Great idea!!

I have one to add - in case people do not know, Virtuoso puts out a few publications and they are available as apps or by contacting your trusted advisor for the complimentary paper version. Six times a year, Virtuoso Life is published and is a magazine about luxury travel. Once a year, the Best of the Best is published and it is a (large) book with all the properties in the network listed with a description, picture, property tip, and Virtuoso amenities.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Travel K
Great idea!!

I have one to add - in case people do not know, Virtuoso puts out a few publications and they are available as apps or by contacting your trusted advisor for the complimentary paper version. Six times a year, Virtuoso Life is published and is a magazine about luxury travel. Once a year, the Best of the Best is published and it is a (large) book with all the properties in the network listed with a description, picture, property tip, and Virtuoso amenities.
Nice one, Travel K.

In case anyone is interested, this is the Virtuoso Best of the Best for 2016:

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/virt...ebest2016/#/12
Old Jan 27, 2016, 6:12 pm
Original Member

The travel section of the How To Spend It by the Financial Times:
http://howtospendit.ft.com
Old Jan 27, 2016, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Travel K
Great idea!!

I followed that link - it's not a magazine about luxury travel. It's a collection of advertisements placed by hotel companies. There really isn't much genuine travel journalism these days. It's just about free trips and PR.

I find this Flyertalk forum better than most things for a source of info. I don't find Gallivanters any help these days and that American site fernandoshideaways or whatever it's called isn't on my radar.

Last edited by Pausanias; Jan 28, 2016 at 4:23 am
Old Jan 27, 2016, 9:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold
Luxury Travel Resources

I look at Virtuoso as a start as they have extra amenities (full discourse am Virtuoso advisor) - hotels are reviewed annually before acceptance in the program. I also consult Conde Nast Gold list, Small Luxury Hotels and Mr&Mrs Smith as well. I follow many luxury bloggers and travel vendors on Twitter too
Old Jan 27, 2016, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post11345980

Originally Posted by Pausanias
I followed that link - it's not a magazine about luxury travel. It's a collection of advertisements placed by hotel companies. There really isn't much genuine travel journalism these days. It's just about free trips and PR.
kind of interesting >
- Elite Traveler is found primarily in private jets, and looks great
(BPA audited circulation: 89% private jets and 9% first class lounges)
- Departures/Centurion also do not sell newsstand (nor subscriptions)

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The AmEx publication Departures
for amex plat, but "purchased from American Express Publishing by Time Inc"

Pausanias, what about sophy roberts for example?

http://www.sophyroberts.com/assets/w...%20article.pdf
http://www.sophyroberts.com/assets/w...jan13_oman.pdf

http://www.sophyroberts.com/assets/w...%20article.pdf

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 2, 2016 at 6:36 am
Old Jan 27, 2016, 9:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The AmEx publication Departures is basically about luxury travel with some emphasis on FHR properties. (Travel and Leisure magazine is more mass market IMO.)
Old Jan 31, 2016, 2:17 am

A lot of people hate them, but I do enjoy "top XX hotels in the world" lists. I cannot be bothered with reading a massive editorial on every property and these lists I find useful to skim through and then pick out some that look interesting and do more search. Some sources I use:
  • Financial Times Travel and How To Spend It
  • Telegraph Luxury
  • Conde Nast UK/International
  • Travel + Leisure
  • Departures Magazine & AMEX special offers. AMEX special offers have made us aware of a lot of places that we then booked, such as La Reserve, Alila Villas and a lot of the English Relais Chateux properties. I think it is what originally made us start staying at The Berkeley and then subsequently The Connaught.
  • Tatler
  • Mr and Mrs Smith
  • Scott Dunn - I find their website the best travel agents website I've ever come across. They will only put a property on here that they have been to and they also have incredible navigation to filter your choices, such as based on the best time to visit or the type of holiday. I also like that their own staff review it
  • Carrier is another UK TA that has a really good website and fantastic brochures
  • Five Star Alliance - often turns up when doing a Google search for "5 star hotels in XXX"
  • Trip Advisor
  • Booking.com - I find this most useful as you can only give a review if you've been there and booked via booking.com. You also have hotels on there now like Velaa and Cheval Blanc, so it can often be easier to find rates on here than the hotels own website. I will type in a city and date, filter by 5 star, order by Reviews so I have the highest rated properties at the top, then work through the list and do more research into the properties that stand out.
  • Obviously Google

Originally Posted by Philatravelgirl
I follow many luxury bloggers
Can you please give some examples?
Old Jan 31, 2016, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
A lot of people hate them, but I do enjoy "top XX hotels in the world" lists. I cannot be bothered with reading a massive editorial on every property and these lists I find useful to skim through and then pick out some that look interesting and do more search. Some sources I use:
  • Financial Times Travel and How To Spend It
  • Telegraph Luxury
  • Conde Nast UK/International
  • Travel + Leisure
  • Departures Magazine & AMEX special offers. AMEX special offers have made us aware of a lot of places that we then booked, such as La Reserve, Alila Villas and a lot of the English Relais Chateux properties. I think it is what originally made us start staying at The Berkeley and then subsequently The Connaught.
  • Tatler
  • Mr and Mrs Smith
  • Scott Dunn - I find their website the best travel agents website I've ever come across. They will only put a property on here that they have been to and they also have incredible navigation to filter your choices, such as based on the best time to visit or the type of holiday. I also like that their own staff review it
  • Carrier is another UK TA that has a really good website and fantastic brochures
  • Five Star Alliance - often turns up when doing a Google search for "5 star hotels in XXX"
  • Trip Advisor
  • Booking.com - I find this most useful as you can only give a review if you've been there and booked via booking.com. You also have hotels on there now like Velaa and Cheval Blanc, so it can often be easier to find rates on here than the hotels own website. I will type in a city and date, filter by 5 star, order by Reviews so I have the highest rated properties at the top, then work through the list and do more research into the properties that stand out.
  • Obviously Google

Can you please give some examples?
I echo your recommendation of Carrier, their glossy brochures are a work of art in themselves. They also publish some youtube videos of properties which often do not have good official youtube coverage (e.g. Kuda Huraa).
Old Jan 31, 2016, 8:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold
Luxury Travel Resources

Twitter Luxury bloggers I follow

Paul from A Luxury Travel Blog
Ana of MrsOAroundtheWorld
Kim Marie of Luxury Travel Mom
Tiffany of Luxe Tiffany
Katie of La Jolla Mom
Nancy of Luxe Travel Family
Matt of Landlopers (not always luxury)

#LuxTravelChat weekly luxury chat
Old Feb 1, 2016, 10:33 am
BLV

Instagram & Flyertalk are my two resources for travel. I find that for the last year or so, that I don't even bother opening up Departures.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 10:39 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BLV
Instagram & Flyertalk are my two resources for travel. I find that for the last year or so, that I don't even bother opening up Departures.
Any Instagram accounts of note?
Old Feb 1, 2016, 11:03 am
BLV

Originally Posted by hannisen
Any Instagram accounts of note?
I don't follow any travel bloggers, I follow properties. Plus, if I'm interested in a place, IG is probably the first place I head to (just plug it into their search and then follow the geotags) for photos.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.