Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Bali - Hotel with ocean view plunge pool (and everything else!)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2015, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Hello fellow travelers,

I am trying to organise a surprise getaway for my boyfriend's 40th birthday, and Bali is the destination. I have booked the Chedi Ubud for 3 nights, and am now looking for a fabulous hotel destination beach-side for another 3-5 nights. I want something luxurious with an ocean view from the room (so we can hang around the room without feeling like we could be anywhere), plus a private plunge pool (quite frankly, if I'm hanging out in a bikini, I'd prefer to do it without being surrounded by beautiful 25 year olds all day!! ). Amazing food is a big priority (inside and and outside of the hotel bubble...yes, I'm that person that loves a $2 Nasi Campur as much as a Michelin-starred degustation). Access to a nice bar to enjoy ocean-side or poolside cocktails would be great (happy to traverse outside the hotel for this given we'd be enjoying champagne on our delightful balcony the rest of the time!), as would access to local spas, rather than having to resort to premium hotel pricing on treatments every day. I'm not at all familiar with towns beyond Seminyak and Ubud (and have only been to these places once before also), and am struggling to get my head around the best options to tick off as many boxes as possible, without spending Aman levels. I'm thinking the maximum budget I'd like to spend per night is around $1200.

I've looked at the Amans, but as much as I'd love to spend the money, I'm trying to be a bit sensible (I've been drooling over their website, but I know how lackluster a standard 5 star hotel is likely to feel afterwards, and I think we're better off saving that for something major like a honeymoon...fingers crossed that's not going to be too far off...I did catch the bridal bouquet at a wedding last week, so Aman here I come!! ). The Legain is highly recommended on here, however I believe their rooms with private pools don't have ocean views. Sigh.

My boyfriend worked for the Four Seasons group as a teenager and has held them in high regard ever since, but has never got around to staying with them. However, the reviews for the Bali beach site aren't great.

I stayed at the Seminyak Beach Resort several months ago, and it was lovely, and I think that level of "luxury" would suffice if I could find something similar that ticked all the boxes (I didn't dine at the restaurants, except for breakfast which I thought was a wonderful spread). I can't say I loved Seminyak, particularly after spending time beforehand in Ubud which felt a lot less commercial (I was there for the Writer's Festival and was lucky enough to have one of the event organisers telling us the best local places to feast, get treatments and shop. Hearing "Cold Chisel" in bars full of Aussies wasn't really my cup of tea, but the hotel breakfast was amazing, and I had some nice local fare. And I will confess to having enjoyed a few cocktails at the W and Potato Head (although was glad to escape all the "cool" people once I'd done enough people watching).

I would love the opinion of those who appreciate high-end luxury, but know of lesser alternatives to an that will have a reasonably lux feel on a lesser budget? I'm Hilton Gold if that's of any help? Some of the other places I've seen include Double Six (the rooms don't look quite as nice as the Seminyak Beach Resort, but otherwise is well within budget), ruled out Bulgari (not great reviews on here), ruled out Alila (no plunge pools except in too-expensive penthouse). I feel like I've read every post in here about Bali, and still am struggling. Thank you for getting to this point!!! Any advice would be so greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Old Dec 16, 2015, 10:46 pm

The Club at The Legian
Amanusa
Amankila (could see if TA could secure an upgrade to pool suites).

Banyan Tree Ungasan (has cliff edge one bedroom villas with unobstructed sea views)
Karma Kandara
Karma Jimbaran (?)

I think you are quite right to look for other options instead of FS Jimberan. It is not one of the better FS resorts, unless one has the budget for Royal Villa etc...
Old Dec 16, 2015, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your swift response! And I was very unclear with my ocean request. I'm ideally looking for something beachfront if at all possible (nothing like hearing the sound of the ocean from your balcony, and being within walking distance for a sunset walk). I know, I know, so high maintenance.

I would so love to stay at the Legian given all the fab reviews on here, but their pool villas aren't ocean side. Bummer.

Banyan Tree looks iiiiintereesting!!!
Old Dec 16, 2015, 11:52 pm

St Regis has direct beach villas with pool with your own sun loungers in front of it. (same beach that amanusa uses.)
Old Dec 17, 2015, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alwaysinvogue
Chedi Ubud for 3 nights
another 3-5 nights
$1200

without being surrounded by beautiful 25 year olds
Hearing "Cold Chisel" in bars full of Aussies wasn't really my cup of tea
glad to escape all the "cool" people
avoid FS jimbaran - beach pool is 'australian style' day/night club open to public

(expensive beachfront pool villas = legian, alila soori)

aman >

presumably not in next month? amex FHR 4th nt free through january

low season rates >

6 night Bali Experience (save $100 per nt)
$600 regular
$1100 pool

7 night Bali and Beyond (save $100 per nt)
$600 regular
$1050 dari pool (save $150 per nt) (& jiwo pool)
$1100 kila pool

3 night Bali Break (save $50 per nt)
$650 regular
$1150 pool

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 17, 2015 at 1:21 am
Old Dec 17, 2015, 1:11 am

The Legian would be my choice. It's in the same group as the Chedi Ubud and I think they do combo-package deals. The beach here is vast and iideal for sunsets and long walks. It's not a swimming beach, more a surf beach, and like most Bali beaches it's not your brilliant powder-perfect thing. Beaches on Bali are in fact quite poor. I'd definitely avoid the Nusa Dua area and the beach where the Four Seasons is located. Remember that Bali is to Australians what Ibiza is to Europeans. It's a busy place, nothing like the Dawn of the World image of three decades ago.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Unless you need to be waited on hand and foot, there are so many better options out there.

I'm currently at a private villa in Ubud. 6000 square feet. Huge private pool, beautiful furnishings, landscaping, very secluded, but still only 10 minutes away from most stuff in Ubud. They will rent out the whole place for $400 a night, or one of the bedrooms for $100 per night. Movie star quality.

This isn't one of the tiny so called villas you see all the time. It puts all the Presidential suites I've ever stayed in to shame.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Unless you need to be waited on hand and foot, there are so many better options out there.

I'm currently at a private villa in Ubud. 6000 square feet. Huge private pool, beautiful furnishings, landscaping, very secluded, but still only 10 minutes away from most stuff in Ubud. They will rent out the whole place for $400 a night, or one of the bedrooms for $100 per night. Movie star quality.

This isn't one of the tiny so called villas you see all the time. It puts all the Presidential suites I've ever stayed in to shame.
I'd be interested to know the place, please.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by Michael82
St Regis has direct beach villas with pool with your own sun loungers in front of it. (same beach that amanusa uses.)
The beachfront villas at St. Regis do look good, and that is a great beach, but I don't think I could ever ever choose them over a pool suite at Amanusa at similar cost.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 6:51 am

Maybe take a look at the Semara - High end with Finns beach club. Very nice beach and fun. Though if you want to be in the thick of things (restaurants/bars/clubs) the Legian would be a better bet.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
The beachfront villas at St. Regis do look good, and that is a great beach, but I don't think I could ever ever choose them over a pool suite at Amanusa at similar cost.
I would.
Stayed at both and the villas at st regis are much nicer.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
Check out the Alila hotels as well.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 3:40 am

Alwaysinvogue - rereading your post I don't think you would be happy with any of the hotels in Nusa Dua - the St. Regis or Amanusa as they are in an enclave of 4/5 star hotels with no local life so you're not going to get a €2 nasi campur there. I haven't stayed at the FS Jimbaran but I have walked around it and it is a pleasant resort - we had lunch in the new restaurant on the beach with the pool alongside. I don't particurarly like such a publicly located pool but if you have your own pool it wouldn't matter. I like Jimbaran beach as it is not crowded with hotels - hence very few tourists on the Beach and there are local restaurants to walk out to including a row down by the FS end that serve fish. And you get the sunset which you don't on Nusa Dua!

I think there are some good reviews of the FS on here and it would be a nice surprise for your boyfriend, having worked in one a few years ago.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by aa213bb
I'd be interested to know the place, please.
They are on airbnb, but don't have the listing really correct. It's a 6000 square foot villa on top of a hill (with the stairs to match). The $100 a night price is for 1 out of the 4 rooms. I think they will be moving to rent the whole villa out, instead of having single rooms (including free use of everything else) before too long. It's also for sale for 1.5 million.

The owner will be changing the airbnb pricing to $250 per day. If you want relaxing in Ubud, at a great price, I'd jump on it quick. It has parking at the bottom of the hill. You can even see the new Westin Ubud under construction a KM or so off in the distance.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/6786168

If you need any other info, just PM me. I have no financial interest, but was so impressed with this place. They also have some kids bunk beds, so could easily accomodate 12 people for the entire villa.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
They are on airbnb, but don't have the listing really correct. It's a 6000 square foot villa on top of a hill (with the stairs to match). The $100 a night price is for 1 out of the 4 rooms. I think they will be moving to rent the whole villa out, instead of having single rooms (including free use of everything else) before too long. It's also for sale for 1.5 million.

The owner will be changing the airbnb pricing to $250 per day. If you want relaxing in Ubud, at a great price, I'd jump on it quick. It has parking at the bottom of the hill. You can even see the new Westin Ubud under construction a KM or so off in the distance.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/6786168

If you need any other info, just PM me. I have no financial interest, but was so impressed with this place. They also have some kids bunk beds, so could easily accomodate 12 people for the entire villa.
Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.