Best bang for the buck 5 star hotel in Budapest

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, RC/Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum

Looking for a direct compare between two main choices (prices are about equal). I have IHG Platinum Status and Marriott Gold Status, and am torn between the Intercontinental and the Boscolo. A third option could be the new Ritz Carlton (I have certificates I could use), but I'm not sure if it is worth burning those since there are nice 5 star options in the low 100's.

Has anyone stayed at both of these hotels, and if so which would you recommend for someone's first visit to Budapest?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:13 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
The Intercontinental is typically highly recommended in this forum.

In my opinion, the location of the IC is much better than the Boscolo, right in the middle of everything you'll want to do as a first timer.

I always put in a plug for the Budapest Marriott. While not a 5-star, it's a nice hotel, right on the Danube, and has an incredible concierge lounge on the top floor with a large outdoor area overlooking the Danube and Castle Hill.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 3:14 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
I'd say that the Sofitel is a tiny bit nicer than the IC, but the IC has more rooms with great views of the river. I have Accor Le Club Plat as well as IHG Spire, so the Sofitel gave me lounge access while the IC didn't, which might slightly influence my views though!

The Corinthia is a head above both of those two, with an amazing spa, but isn't as well located for most tourist things, and tends to be quite a bit more. There's also the Four Seasons which I've heard good things about, but haven't stayed in.

Prices do seem to jump around a bit, so maybe check to see what's got a good deal for your exact dates and just go based on that?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA/AA
You can't go wrong with either hotel.

Intercontinental . A nice, very American hotel located right on the Danube River, with nice views. You're close to the heavily tourist area that is Váci utca (Váci street). The hotel is also close to the Parliament building.

Boscolo. A classic turn of the century hotel that has recently been remodeled. It's located in the commercial center of Budapest......close to the Opera, the old Jewish quarter, and Andrássy Avenue. It's also a little easier to get around Budapest from the Boscolo. You're a short walk to three metro lines, and the hotel is located on one of the major tram lines. On the ground floor is the famous old New York Cafe, where you'll have breakfast every morning. The rooms are better at the Boscolo. On Tripadvisor, you'll find people adore staying at this hotel.

Basically it's a tradeoff between staying on the Danube vs. an old classic hotel in the center of the city.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
If you choose the IC, you should buy up to Ambassador level status. You'll get a better upgrade, a free night coupon, free film, fruit bowl, etc. You might get cheaper access to the club. I got free club at the IC as RA and as RA the IC definitely has the best bang for the buck. I would think AMB is pretty good too. You can call the hotel reservation line to see what level of room you'd need to book to get upgraded into one of the Danube facing suites which has awesome views.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 2:09 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Used to stay in Budapest quite a bit. We booked in to the Intercontinental originally, given its wonderful position right on the river. To be honest, I wasn't a fan. The view is the major selling point, but I found the rooms, restaurant, etc, rather dull.

Instead, I ended up going for the Meridien (although that was slightly skewed by being a Meridien Moments - remember those - top-tier member at the time) and the Corinthia, which is outstanding (and one of the few locations where I could actually afford it).
Old Nov 24, 2015, 2:10 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Now, as it's had a run in the Europe forum, let's give it a go over in Luxury Hotels. Please continue to follow this topic in the Luxury Hotels forum.

stut
Europe Forum
Old Nov 24, 2015, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
The Corinthia is a head above both of those two, with an amazing spa, but isn't as well located for most tourist things, and tends to be quite a bit more.
Stayed in 2006, so not really a fresh experience. At this time it was new and a decent choice. Location is not perfect.

FS ist of course a good choice but normally more 100, more a few hundred
Old Nov 24, 2015, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
For the views - IC. For the rooms - Boscolo.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stayed at the Elizabeth Park Hotel (was Le Meridien, will be RC!) last month. I thought the location of the hotel was great - it is right by the subway and trams (super easy to use) and easy walking distance to the river, restaurants etc.

However, it isn't a Ritz Carlton yet! The room was comfortable and clean, and I was upgraded a room category which was nice. The room was typically small by North American standards, fine for my needs, I was only in there to sleep, but if size is important there may be better bets. things like the wardrobe and other furniture was 'quaint' and a little unconventional, I suspect they will be doing quite a bit to the rooms to bring them up to RC standards. I liked the pool area, small but quiet.

Staff were very good with recommendations for restaurants and activities. Didn't eat in the restaurant, but drinks in the bar were pleasant, service understated (by which I mean a bit slow...)

There was no renovation going on that I noticed, but this may change and may influence the decision. I was happy paying the Meridien rates (they were honoured) but probably wouldn't pay much more at this point.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 4:03 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons PP, RC STARS, MO FanClub, Dorchester Diamond, Luxury Priv, Peninsula PenClub
The Four Seasons is, IMHO, the best hotel in Budapest, but if it doesn't fit your budget the Kempinski is a great 2nd choice for 5* with lower rates. Central location, good dining options, spacious rooms, really good start and service. Virtuoso amenities make it an even better value :

2016 Amenities:
* Daily full breakfast, for up to two in room guests
* Upgrade to next room category, at time of booking, subject to availability
* Early check-in/late check-out, subject to availability
* Complimentary fruit bowl
* "Taste of Hungary". Selection of macaroons inspired by Hungarian flavors, The world-wide famous Hungarian wine, Tokaji Aszu, Paprika powder, traditional Hungarian embroidered coasters
* Complimentary in-room WIFI access
* Complimentary usage of Kempinski The Spa and Fitness center

Feel free to PM me for a quote with Virtuoso amenities.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 4:53 am

I've stayed at both the FS and the IC - they are both in great central locations and with great views. The FS is much nicer of course but the IC in a river view room with Club access is fine.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I'm sure the FS is nice, but this thread is about bang for the buck and that means the IC. Especially if you have RA status or purchase AMB status. FHR or Virtuoso help, but they aren't as good as RA status.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by stimpy
but they aren't as good as RA status.
Which isnīt too easy to get these days
Old Dec 8, 2015, 12:37 pm

Programs: MS AMEX PLAT- Marriott Titanium-HH G- UA Silver-JPM RC . DL-AA-BA

Looks like a lot of options, Budapest is on my list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.