Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for a luxury Caribbean villa rental, seeking island suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2015, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Looking for a luxury Caribbean villa rental, seeking island suggestions

I know the discussions on this forum are generally focused on resort experiences but I am taking a shot that someone might have villa rental experience or thoughts to share.

We are 20+ year travelers to the British and US Virgin Islands. We rent high end houses (for that region) and enjoy the flexibility of dining around the islands. What we like about the Virgin Islands is the safety, the pristine beaches and the low key development.

The majority of our group wants to see another island but has the same expectations as if we were in the Virgin Islands – deserted beaches, nature beauty, high standard of living (speaks to safety and security) good restaurants, high end rentals (preferably on the beach or walk to the beach) and ease of travel.

We travel in February so we want a warm destination. Anguilla is out as we were already there once. Virgin Gorda and St. John are crossed of the list too. Mexico is a hard no.

While we are looking for a villa rental, we are also open to resorts if it is located someplace we can get off the property and explore.

Anyone have suggestions for an island within a 6 hour flight from PHL?
Old Sep 28, 2015, 8:33 am

Mustique is the best option for high-end villas. There are only a few bars and reataurants as it is a private island and the norm is to eat in one's staffed villa most of the time. Basil's Bar is fabulous.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

turks & caicos (amanyara and parrot cay)
and st barts and bahamas ('out islands'?)

richard branson's mosquito island will have rental villas

there was/is a villa rental at amanera
and a hotel on amanera's beach

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 28, 2015 at 12:48 pm
Old Sep 28, 2015, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Provo is too cool in the winter for my taste. We have been there in February and won't go there again in winter. Same for the Out Islands of the Bahamas.

I don't think I could get my husband back to the DR but Amanera does look interesting.

St. Bart is high on the list but what is sort of turning me off is a lot of the beaches seem built up with clubs, bars and hotels. We are used to the 10 people on the beach style of the smaller Virgin Islands.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 12:45 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

I definitely like the idea of a house in Gorda or St. Johns rather than a hotel. That's what we're switching to rather than bolting up in some tiny coffin, constantly walking through lobbies and eating buffet food. I'd much rather make my own margaritas at $3 and snack on some chips/salsa and not worry about much.

I'd suggest St. Barts, the Grenadines or Barbados. At least those would be my choices.

I do think the luxury forum should open up more to villas, since a villa rather than a 1 BR suite can be of much greater interest to some of us traveling as families.

Last edited by DSI; Sep 28, 2015 at 12:52 pm
Old Sep 28, 2015, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.playagrande.com/page/project includes >
- Golf Villa
- Amanera
- http://www.playagrandebeachclub.com/bungalows
(which has 6 1BR and 3 3BR, all with kitchens etc)

if you dont mind, if you have done guana and or peter in BVI, what did you think?

Originally Posted by declinespecificinformation
tiny coffin, constantly walking through lobbies and eating buffet food
thank god for luxury properties (not villa rentals) that have zero comparison to "hotels"
i will also take an expensive ("tiny coffin") room in a villa i could not afford to rent

some barbados rentals near sandy lane >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post19771352

dorado has rentals, not sure if there are any private rentals of RC residences

if you can rent a RC dockhouse with boat at RC grand cayman, something different
some RC villa residences at RC grand cayman are only rentable through inspirato

nevis >
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
http://flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-ho...nevis-now.html
plus new hotel villas at pinneys near beach
in st kitts there is [new] christophe harbour, should have rental villas, and upcoming park hyatt

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 28, 2015 at 8:26 pm
Old Sep 28, 2015, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

I'll take a look at Barbados and Nevis.

A couple of years ago, we almost rented a villa on St. Kitts but the island seemed a bit more gritty than we are used to and I chickened out. Maybe I should revisit that idea.

I have been to Peter Island while sailing but haven't stayed over night. I love the island but its too isolated for our group for 10 nights, we need a bit more to do. We like to go out to different restaurants at night and I think we would get tired of eating on the resort day in and day out.

Three times I came very close to booking a trip to Guana but my husband just isn't comfortable with being "stuck" on a private island. Also, we have a 10 year old and at the times we looked at Guana, I think kids were only allowed in the summer.

I know someone who has stayed at Guana three times. Her third visit wasn't as good as the first two and she doubts they will go back. They enjoyed it but said it is a very specific experience that isn't for everyone.

Moskito Island is on my future wish list. I love Virgin Gorda and the North Sound area.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 4:32 pm

The Sugar Beach resort in St Lucia now has Residences which might suit - the biggest ones are 5 bedroomed - http://www.viceroyhotelsandresorts.c...ions/residence
Truly the most spectacular location I've stayed in.
smgainey likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Lovethecabin
Provo is too cool in the winter for my taste. We have been there in February and won't go there again in winter. Same for the Out Islands of the Bahamas.

I don't think I could get my husband back to the DR but Amanera does look interesting.

St. Bart is high on the list but what is sort of turning me off is a lot of the beaches seem built up with clubs, bars and hotels. We are used to the 10 people on the beach style of the smaller Virgin Islands.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 8:20 pm

The best beaches in St. Bart's are close to deserted, no civilization. It's a wonderful island!!
Old Sep 28, 2015, 9:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by declinespecificinformation
I do think the luxury forum should open up more to villas, since a villa rather than a 1 BR suite can be of much greater interest to some of us traveling as families.
I completely agree with this; we are shifting more and more of our stays to nice rentals. However, you are likely to get a visceral reaction to it in this forum.

There is an element in this forum that is highly restive to exploring these excellent options. The funny thing is, their usual first response when it does come up is "What is Airbnb?" But they are absolutely positive its not for them...

The more we have been staying in condos, apartments, etc. the harder and harder it is for me to constrain myself to a hotel room, however nice it may be.

Regards

Last edited by scubadu; Sep 29, 2015 at 3:12 am Reason: Spelling
Old Sep 28, 2015, 9:38 pm

Well, to be fair this is the luxury hotels forum. I think I was born crazy about hotels, so anything short of that experience usually will not do for me. Of course I like private residences and villas, but they are outside the scope of this forum (unless they are managed by hotels and include full hotel services).

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Sep 28, 2015 at 11:06 pm
Old Sep 29, 2015, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for suggestions. I booked marked several for future consideration.

Originally Posted by katesy
The best beaches in St. Bart's are close to deserted, no civilization. It's a wonderful island!!
Based on the recommendation of a pilot who lives on St. Bart's, that was originally on the top of our list. Katesy, any suggestion on particular areas of the island I should focus on?
Old Sep 29, 2015, 7:54 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

I do wonder if there are many people paying full price for larger suites (>1500 sq feet) on this forum? Or if TA's actually sell them? I just don't see how someone can justify spending $4000+ a night when a villa can be rented for far less. But then again, I'm probably one of forum's poorer denizens with a more limited budget.

Hotels can make sense for some places, like Bhutan, obviously. But the Caribbean is quintessentially a place that I think of visiting with friends and family, bbqing and relaxing.

Maybe I'm just missing the appeal of a small hotel room when we travel as a family?

Last edited by DSI; Sep 29, 2015 at 8:02 am
Old Sep 29, 2015, 1:19 pm

Gouverneur and Saline are two stunning beaches with little sign of civilization - I would look for villas near those beaches. If you want to be less isolated but still in a quiet area, try Flamands beach (same area as the Cheval Blanc Isle de France). I'm sure there are other great areas too.

Gustavia and St. Jean are the more lively areas - great for restaurants, shopping, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.